The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2009 entrée: John Bannon » » Power of Poker » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
This is a real favourite of mine. Such a joy to perform.

I see this is on the new DVD soon to be released (immensely looking forward to that I might add!). Has the DVD version any new tweaks from the earlier book version? I'm not sure if it can get any better, but you never fail to amaze me so I'd thought I'd ask...

Also, any other personal favourites of yours when it comes to 'gambling themed' routines?

Can we expect any more brilliant gems in the near future?

Many thanks,
Jason
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
Jason,

Power of Poker is on the new DVD and, yes, there is a slight new twist to it you may like.

"Gambling themed" is a little broad, but with respect to poker dealing routines, for civilians, I like Riverboat Poker from my booklet, Six Impossible Things. Again, the trick is not "authentic cheating" technique, but I've always look at poker deals from a trick perspective.

An idea I've been playing with lately is to do a version of Trost's Matching Court Cards, bur use Aces, Kings, Queens, and Jacks. The patter revolves around Texas Hold 'Em: Since you only get two cards, a good hand would be a pair and a really good hand would be a high pair . . . Show the unmatched pairs, then show eight really good hands consisting of high pairs. So much better than "Royal Marriages" or whatever.

John
"And although this art is so wonderful, still it is held in no honor . . . The reasons are various, it seems to me; first, the art is concerned with useless matters; second, it is practiced by men of low degree."

G. Cardano on card tricks, De Subtilitate, 1554

www.johnbannonmagic.com
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Wonderful! I'm even more eagerly looking forward to the DVD now!

I shall pick up 'Six Impossible Things' as well. The Riverboat Poker routine sounds of great interest.

The new idea sounds very promising too. I love the flat-out pure intelligence behind your routines, so I will follow any new offerings with great enthusiasm. My girlfriend is an engineer, so if I do perform anything 'magical' to entertain it's either the work of yourself or Simon Aronson. Anything else usually gets shredded in seconds or elicits a mild, somewhat sarcastic, chuckle. Your stuff results in stunned silence and smiles. Much better!

Many thanks for the reply.

Best wishes,
Jason
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I too love the Power of Poker effect. I do it with Jumbo Cards. One thing I did change was the use of the court cards for the straight/royal flush.

The reason I did this was becasue when you show the final two cards, and you see a "court card", I felt that this prematurely led the spectator to the conclusion you had a royal flush. Now if they are expecting a royal flush, and you have it, it is good, but they were expecting it. When they expect a royal flush, and you don't have it, I felt there was a small letdown.

So instead I go with a straight flush 5-10 either way. This way they see a number card at the end, and hopefully when you end with a straight flush it is a bit more of a surprise. Most of the time they think I have 4 of a kind, if they say anything at this point. When doing it with the court cards they would comment about a royal flush.

Anyway, love the effect, just thought I would see what you thought.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
Steve,

I think a Royal Flush is the way to go. A Royal Flush is iconic in a way a straight flush is not.

All you need to do is look at the half-baked "improvements" out there that simply use an equivoque for the first selection (how obvious is that?) and co-opt the entire rest of the trick (and in some instances try to claim the entire concept) (genius!). This obvious "improvement" has always been in the notes, but some people don't bother to read the trick itself. Sorry, on a rant, back now.

I have a new approach to this trick on B*A*D that I think is even better than using jumbo cards.

Glad you like the trick. BTW, I present it as fairly straightforward mentalism.

John
"And although this art is so wonderful, still it is held in no honor . . . The reasons are various, it seems to me; first, the art is concerned with useless matters; second, it is practiced by men of low degree."

G. Cardano on card tricks, De Subtilitate, 1554

www.johnbannonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2009 entrée: John Bannon » » Power of Poker » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL