The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » HeadSlicer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Hello folks,

http://www.tilfordillusions.com/headslicer.html
I am looking for a one man illusion and have seen this for sale on ebay and other auction sites. Have any of you seen it? Is it any good? Please, could someone review this for me?
Thanks

Mr Phil
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Mr Phil,

I've never seen this particular one, but have seen a couple of others. If it works as described, it would be the best one I've seen (big if, though!)

The others I've seen can really only be used on a stage with a trained assistant.

James.
Jeff007
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jeff007
I purchased a version of this from Tilford a long time ago where the difference was that there was no knife and the "victim" was on their knees when their head was in the box rather than fully standing.

Having that said, I will answer a few of their claims for you.

#1 is not a complete honest fact. It's NOT angle proof per-say. It's true that people can be all the way around the illusion when you perform it, but if certain lighting conditions are a bit off, the secret can easily be detected, especially if anyone is standing at a certain angle from the illusion.

#2 is true

#3 is true

#4 I cannot verify this, as the version I purchased did not include a knife

Everything does pack down fairly easily.

#5 is true

#6 is almost true. You just have to instruct them what to do right before they put their head in the box. One phrase will tell them everything they need to do.

#7 is a play on words. It is "seen" to be as deep as the rectangular cabinet holding it. That's all I can say. Its accuracy depends on how to comprehend that statement.

#8 is true regarding the "no black art" statement. As for the lights, they can certainly be bright. However, lighting CAN reveal the secret if the lights are not in the right place.

I do not perform this illusion anymore but do still have it. Honestly though, I can't really say that I would completely recommend it. However, the choice is yours.

Jeff
JMagic@mis.net
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Looks like an interesting piece....Simple, practical. How is the craftsmanship?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I am the builder of the new version. The version you bought from Tilford is an older version made by another builder.

We improved the illusion by making the cabinet where the girl stood up. The shorter version almost required a stage and to be above eye level. The taller cabinet eliminates many of the angle problems with the older version.

I will agree that you have to watch the overhead lighting a bit. Not a major problem. You just need to put the illusion in the right place on the stage.

The knife is totally ungimmicked and the cutting of the head is very baffling.

Our company, Illusion Concepts has an excellent reputation for high quality work.
As I said the kneeling model referred to above is no longer carried by Tilford. Our new taller version is what he offers.

Devin Knight
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
If the knife pictured in the picture on Mr. Tilford's web site is indeed the knife used, it doesn't appear long enough to even reach the girl's neck let alone slice completely through it. Maybe it is as deep if you include the handle? Smile
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
The knife is longer. In the photo the sunlight is hitting the sword, the rest of it goes under the box and the shadow sort of makes it hard to see. Look closely at the photo and you will see the knife continues under the box.

Since I make this, I can assure the knife (blade part)is the length of the cabinet from front to rear. You can even turn the cabinet sideways and point out the blade is the length of the cabinet (or a bit longer). I have also shortened the length of the handle considerably.

I didn't want people thinking the blade went into the handle (which it doesn't BTW). Remember blade/knife can be examined as it is ungimmicked.
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
I have never liked this illusion. It is very expensive for the impact it has.

Also, it only takes a few seconds. I like the illusion if you put it somewhere else showing the head moving, like DC. Otherwise just sliding the head is not very good.

Just my honest opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » HeadSlicer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL