The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College 5 , my opinion... it's good! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
Hi,

I got Card College 5 and I'd like to say I think it's better than the other 4 volumes.

The reason being is that the effects are more suited to my taste (cards disappearing, changing, even some good gambling routines) as well as a whole chapter dedicated to humour and tidbits with practical examples... some good stuff.

A worthy purchase!
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
I would not say that Vol. 5 is better than the other 4 volumes, but you rightfully point out that this is a matter of taste (or style, aesthetic goals, etc.)

Regardless, I too think CC5 is great!
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
I have read CC1&2, should I get the CC5 without the 3&4?
I read Michael Close's review, it seems incredibly good.

Michael Lam Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
I liked the selection of material in CC5. A few of my favorites: Thompson Aces, Stop, and Burn Aces. I've spent the last couple weeks just pouring over this book.

Overall, I rate the material a little higher than the other Card College volumes (though I rank the material in those higher than 98% of what is on the market). This may be a matter of personal taste: I like gambling and mentalism tricks, which you'll find in CC5.

On the other hand, I don't much go for tricks that require extensive setups and there are some of those in CC5. I also don't usually keep Jokers in my deck and there is a whole section of tricks with Jokers.

I was interested to read that Card Sheister liked CC5 because of "cards disappearing, changing..." Another reviewer on another thread gave a thumbs down because he didn't think there was enough flash. Mmmmm.....

So CC5 is a little different than 1-4; isn't that the way it should be?

p.s. For CC6 I'd like to see another section of flourishes, more false counts and tricks using them, and a section on handling a memorized deck and memorized deck tricks. Also, a section on routining a series of card tricks and performing in different circumstances (at a table, standup, etc.).
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Jim, thanks for the recommanding the tricks, and thanks for the PM as well! ^_^"

I have not yet finished reading CC1&2, a shame on me. I have a lot of books which haven't been read, and still looking for more books.

But I will get this CC5 soon.

Magically Yours,
Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
magicpro
View Profile
New user
montreal
51 Posts

Profile of magicpro
hello
i think all 4 are awsome but im going to buy number 4 when my local magic shop gets it in.
peterdgr8
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of peterdgr8
The entire series is an incredible undertaking and a total bonus for the magic community. In the first four volumes are effects as you go. And they are gems. From the very first volume. Five, is a great compendium of additional classics that are of Giobbi's personal favorites from what I can tell (and with his personal handling's of them which might offend purists, but in this man's opinion is of little matter since Giobbi has proven himself time and time again to be a great teacher whose personal touches added to classic effects are subtle improvements and not ***izations that you so often find in magical literature - hence why SO MANY books out of the milions that have been published are not discussed on these forums.) Enjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College 5 , my opinion... it's good! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL