The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The Catechist's Magic Kit » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Anyone read this book? I just received my copy of it today. Although it astonishingly claims on the back that it's the "first and only book on Gospel magic" (how could they possibly say that!), it's certainly a great, great book, and very carefully conceived and executed. Many non-Roman Catholic Christians will find a few teachings they can't use (purgatory is the only one I really wouldn't use). On the other hand the is a GREAT resource with GREAT applications of magic. The thinking is great, the way the lessons are keyed to the Scripture is great, and the example of using magic effects to systematically go through the lessons that are needed prior to becoming a member of the RC faith is awe inspiring. I dare say that you might profitably use many of these routines to illustrate shared concepts in the Westminster Confession or the 39 Articles or any other Christian document that instructs people in the "Mere Christianity" aspects of the gospel.

Great work Angelo Stagnaro et al! I just wish there were more gospel magic books out there as thoughtful as this one! I'm Protestant, and I'm interested in the reactions of others Protestant or otherwise (seems like most posters on this forum are Protestants) who are familiar with the book.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I searched around on the web a little bit, looks like the book is about $26 to purchase. My hang up is I don't know what the words "simple magic" means in the book descriptions I've read- and I have not been able to find a "table of contents" anywhere for the book/kit. How "simple" is the magic in the book? For example, I don't really do "close up"- so I don't want to purchase the book if it has Gospel applications for nickels to dimes, ball and vase, the "floating" pencil behind the hand, cut and restored string, or other very simple math, mental or card tricks often found in "public" books/bookstores. Anything in this book using larger "standard" or stage type magic props? If you could maybe give a description of the book's contents, it would be much appreciated... I see that Maria Ibanez (former SAM President I believe) also gave it the thumbs up in her web review-but she also does not give a clue in her review what type of "simple" effects/tricks are actually used in the book...
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
It's really intended to provide illustrations of concepts used in classes that instruct people in Christian doctrine. The genius of the book is in the way it starts with concepts it wants to illustrate, then locates tricks that illustrate the ideas. This is definitely close-up, not stage magic. It would be great to use with kids who are interested in joining the church. There are instructions for making all the tricks in the book. The tricks aren't really that "simple" since they include square circle, torn and restored card to balloon, spike through balloon, bill to lemon, etc. Topic covered are the man's need for God, the Trinity, Christ's death and resurrection, His Ascension, the Last Judgment, the Resurrection of the Dead, Communion, Baptism, The Ten Commandments, and all the petitions of the Lord's Prayer. Tricks for all of them! And scripts to go with each trick! This is a fantastic resource that must have taken a very long time to organize, write, and illustrate. It's obviously a work of love.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I got it in late November.

40 tricks, each spread over two pages. There's about six lines of patter on the left, the method and construction on the right. Mine was £19, Tarbell Spiritual Applications 1 was £26. If I could only have one I'd purchase the Tarbell.

This text is useful for non-magicians doing small group work in Church with youth etc. But only passing interest for us really. I learnt a couple of secrets that I will use. The rest I'd already got from elsewhere.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Thanks for your comment, Apprentice. I've got to say, my reaction was a lot more positive. It was depth of the applications, more than the "secrets," that was helpful to me. I found the use of the tricks to illustrate the Christian concepts was a breath of fresh air. The approach is very different from that of most Protestant gospel magic.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Yes, but this is not the first magic book written by Christian Magicians. I'd rather look at Tarbell vol 1&2, Andy Thompson (book or e-book) or the lecture notes Oz and Wilde did at the FCM a couple of years ago. Then all of the Doc Haley books Steve Vario and Del Wilson have written. More tricks and a lot of historical stuff as well.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
It's a lot more extensive than most of the gospel magic books I've seen. Which one of the books you've mentioned has more tricks than this book which has 81 effects and costs $25.60 on Amazon.com?
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Well, I see I'm a bit more enthusiastic about this than others, but thanks to all for the thoughts and input.
ErasmusMagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ErasmusMagic
Hi Everyone,

I'm Angelo Stagnaro. I'm the author of "The Catechist's Magic Kit." First, I want to thank sthielman for his compliments. There's nothing dearer to my heart than someone who likes my books...

...but seriously folks...there are several incorrect comments about my books. As to themagiciansapprentice's comment about my book having only 40 effects. The truth is, it actually has 84 effects. I can't even imagine what book you're reading but it's not mine.
As to the comments about my book's applicability to non-Catholic Christian denominations, to be called "Christian," a person must accept without reservation the words of the Nicene Creed which was written in AD 325.

As to my book being the "only book on Gospel Magic," this is not the entire point I made to the publisher when they signed the contract for it. I told them that it would be the first and only book commercially available to the public. Spiritual Applications of Tarbell and Duane Laflin's Greater Gospel Magic are both well-structured books but they have too much doom & gloom and people burning in Hell for my tastes.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Angelo Stagnaro thank you for chiming in. I've not read your book, but am curious and will seek out a copy. Obviously based on the opinions of a few it has merit.

Please PM if you have any questions or complaints or anything else.
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The Catechist's Magic Kit » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL