The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Need Help Finding Source (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Hi friends,

I've been doing a packet trick since the mid 70's called "How 'Bout That?" This was a commercial effect, and to this day, is one of my favorites. I'm trying to find out the inventor or any info on it. I doubt that it's still available as a commercial item.

Here's the effect:
The magi introduces 2 small packets of cards... a red back and blue back (about 10 cards each.)The spec. chooses a packet (yeah, right.) The magi tells the spec to spread his cards f.d., and select any one and place it on his (magi's) pack. Magi then cuts spec card to center. Then magi selects one of his cards and places it on top of spec pack. He then tells spec to cut his card to the center of his pack. Each one then spreads their packets, revealing the odd color in each packet. On count of 3, they each pull out the card and drop face up on table. They match! Eventually, the spec will turn over his fanned cards and finds that they're all the same, but not the ones chosen. The magi turns over his fan to show his are also the same as spec fan.

This effect kills... And, all cards can be inspected.

Any info on the history of this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
The Card Magic of Nick Trost has at least a couple of versions of this trick. I recall that Magic Smith sold it a few years back. I forget what they called it.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Thanks, ejohn,

Do you know whether or not Trost marketed a packet trick like this (separately?) I remember that he did have several effects on the market in the 70s - 80s, but most were gaffed cards. This effect, except for a s***t card, was ungaffed, and could be inspected by the lay audience at the end. It was widely sold in magic shops at the time.

Thanks for your info... I'll definitely try to locate the book you mentioned.

Anyone else? I'm sure some old-timers like me must remember this.

Dave
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Dave,

I have a jumbo trick called the McCombical Deck that is still in production, but both packets can not really be freely examined.
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Dave, I don't think Trost marketed your trick either. John
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
The effect is very similar to "Triple coincidence" by John Scarne (Card College Vol. 1). However, the above effect will reveal 3 card pairs instead of 1 pair.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
For some unknown reason I want to say Bill Pryor at Haines House of Cards in Norwood, Ohio. I remember Bill showing something like it in about 1985 and I think I bought a copy from him. Bill makes a lot of his own stuff and sell it at the shop. "How 'Bout That?" sounds like one of Bill's titles as well. But, I could be wrong.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
I live a few miles from Haines, and have known Bill most of my life. I'm sure it wasn't one of his creations. It's possible he carried it in his shop, because it was a popular commercial item at the time. I'll go see Bill and see if he remembers the trick.

Thanks,
Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Need Help Finding Source (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL