The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2010 entrée: Pete Biro » » More personal questions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Hi Pete, I was sitting here thinking about how much I enjoy reading your posts and all your stories I find to be so interesting and some very funny, exspecially the floating table one, if only I could have been there to see that I would have died laughing.
Anyways not knowing much about you, I've learned that you were a writer, a photographer and a member at the magic castle, among other things. So I was sitting here wondering to myself if you were married and ever had kids, and if so does your wife support your magic career and if you had kids do they perform of have any interest in magic as a career as well or even just as a hobby? If I'm being to personal feel free not to answer, I guess the more I read and talk to members on here the more I feel were like friends, and seeing I feel like that thought it would interesting to hear how you meet your wife, or about your kids etc.

Rick Anderson
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK, I am married to a lovely lady, (LINDA) she and I worked together in a commercial art studio 40 years ago and went our separate ways, both married, then divorced and she found me and I realized it was she I should have married the first time. I proposed to her while we were attending Lance Burton's wedding with Melinda.

She loves magic and my magic pals (my first wife didn't). She loves to travel and we have been all over the world together.

Her father was a renowned artist/painter, named Donald Teague. She is currently working to put all of his archives together to ship to the Cowboy Hall of Fame, in Oklahoma City. He was well known as a Western Illustrator, but also as a fine artist.

I have no children, she has three, two adopted, one is 27 and going for his Master's Degree in Psychology, the other is 31, handicapped mentally, but works for the L.A. county recycling. Her oldest is a Doctor in Berkeley, Calif. None have any interest in magic or any kind of performing.

I never went full time pro into magic as I had a great career photographing auto racing, here and abroad. But I did a lot of pro work jumping from trade shows to comedy clubs and corporate dates. My big fun was getting to know comedians Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld and David Letterman through my work both in performing and the automotive area.

I was called to do the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, but was tied up on a photo job in New York and had to turn it down... SIGH.... but, I was asked!

Both of my parents were in Vaudeville, my dad an acrobatic skater, and my mom was a novelty dancer. Both have met their maker. Dad was born in Budapest, Hungary, Mom from Copenhagen, Denmark. Me in Oakland, Calif.

Currently slowed down a bit from a STROKE suffered two years ago. My main projects now are creating effects for Joe Porper and Joe Stevens, and writing a series of books.

And I spend too much time online Smile

I'm a fiscal conservative, and hope our government can stop getting in debt.
:spinningcoin:
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Pete, you certainly have created or contributed to many great effects.
How does your creative process work as you invent a new item?
Also your collaboration with Jor Porper and others. Do you call each other in the middle of the night with new ideas?
What are your favorite creations?

Thanks for all the fascinating stories.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I find that I can come up with ideas all the time... like if I'm with someone and we start talking about a subject I throw out ideas. When I had a job working for the Grand Prix Assn., in Long Beach, where we put on major auto race through the streets, my business card read, "Vice President - CREATIVE DIRECTOR".

At the World Magic Seminar, I came up with all kinds of events there. Joe Stevens once said, "Biro comes up with so many ideas, we have to edit some out."

So, I guess it is just in my genes.

I don't call folks in the middle of the night. But I ofen wake early and think of ways to do things. Sometimes I keep a mini recorder on my nightstand and talk things into it because I often fall back asleep and FORGET what I had figured.

Favorites? Right now TWEEZERS (new version); linking Finger Ring; Self unlinking linking ring; my Card in Balloon, the Tiger Wand (visible wand through bottom of cup) and The Borrowed Ring on wineglass stem (Fred Kaps featured this on TV in England and Europe).
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
Didn't the original idea for Caveney's Linking Coathangers start with you?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yes... I had made up three sets. Gave one each to Fred Kaps and Terry Seabrooke. I found the "right" hangars and made the key in the twisted part, ala Andrus' pins. Caveney came up with a really good routine, I applaud him for that. I just wasn't into marketing at the time. KICK ME HARD?
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Pete, you were around Kalin about that time too. Did you have some influence on his linking billiard racks. Seems like I remember something like that and you mentioned being on a plane with him whilst he was doing his billiard act???
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I told Mark Kalin, after the two of us flew somewhere to do a show, when he asked for advice, (he was nervous about the airline losing his act-luggage) "Don't ever do an act that won't fit in one case and go in the overhead bin."

Boy, am I glad he didn't take my advice!!!! Smile
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Thanks Pete for sharing that, that's really to bad about not making it on Johnny Carsons show, but at least you know you had the chance to hey and that's something to be proud of.
Never did ask you if you ever been near Canada here in Toronto or not, and if not do you travel still, or are you pretty much over them days? Would love to be able to get you over for a lecture in the future that is if your still doing that, maybe I should just ask, are you still performing, doing lectures, or are you now just inventing and writting books now?

Rick Anderson
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For several years I came up to cover auto races at MOSPORT. And recently the Henley Regatta's, nearby.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
I'm glad that Steve brought up the Linking Coat hangers. I had also heard they were your idea.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Actually, the idea of linking hangers, using real, thin standard ungimmicked hangars was Merlin Eifert's. He used a thin wire off your body to make two hangers SEEM to be linked. And Richard Himber had a stainless steel set he marketed a few of my by Connie Haden, with a key much like his locking linking rings.

I found the thick, alloy hangers and devised a gimmick along the lines of the Andrus pins... you couldn't see any gaffe. And as I mentioned, I just made up a few sets.

Caveney got onto this and developed a great routine and told me he bought out all those hangers from the manufacturer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2010 entrée: Pete Biro » » More personal questions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL