The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and Rope Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
Can you cafe members out there advise me of some good sources for an entertaining ring´n´rope routine (ring diameter of appr. 4 inch). Which ring materials do you prefer (plastic or metal)? Do you combine it? (maybe with cut and restored rope..?)
Please give me your ideas an thoughts!
Martin Smile
life is real magic
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
Hi Martin!
I do El Ducco's "Close-up Ring and Rope routine" by Willi Wessel. It is a great routine which involves alot of penetration and everything is fully examinable. It's a great routine.

I highly recommend always using a metal ring and I always use the "Elite Magicians Rope" for all rope effects.(Close-up or not)This is the big fat soft rope that you purchase from any magic distributer. I have yet to ever find any rope in dept. or hardware stores that is 100% cotton.

Another little piece of advise concerning the preparation of ropes:

Cut the length of rope that you need a couple of inches longer than you actually need then take a pen and shove it down the center of each end of the rope as to hollow it out then begin poking all the frayed ends down into the hole. After all the frayed ends are poked down in the hole squirt some elmers glue down into each end and let it set for a day or two. This makes your rope look real nice, easier to work with and prevents it from fraying anymore.

Hope this helps.

Your brother in the art,

Aedryan
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My ring routine has been very well received by lay-audiences and by magicians at my lectures, as well as by some pretty big names.

One of the things that bothers me about R&R routines is that I see a lot of them where the ring magically penetrates off the rope, then you manually put it back on, magically take it off, manually put it on, etc. My routine is structured so that it goes on magically, then comes off magically, etc, etc. it is also modular, such that you can end at any point, and each phase is stronger and more convincing than the one before.

It's in my 2001 lecture notes ($10) & in my book "Great Scott! It's More Magic!" ($15) I also sell it as a separate item, complete with illustrated instructions, metal ring and quality rope for $15. Email or PM me if you're interested.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
Scott,
I am a glutton for R&R routines. I will definitely put your routine on my want list.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Martin, get Daryl's Rope videos and you'll have an endless source of material. As a separate item you might want to look at Colombini's Ringing Too
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
I use a slightly modified version of Peter Samelson's "Ring of Truth" routine using a 3" metal ring (a little weight makes some of the moves a little easier) and a shoelace (about 40" long).

It's in Samelson's book, "Theatrical Close-up," a GREAT book, one of my all-time favorite magic books.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

i'll echo the plug for the Samuelson book. In fact, the finale for my routine is in that book.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
As Scott has been sharing his knowlege into the wee hours of the morning it's no wonder he missed mentioning Aldo Colombini's Ringing Around Too video. Fantastic R&R routine. (doah! I just noticed Greg already mentioned this, so I'll second his brilliant recommendation!)

Also the routine in Scott's 2001 lecture notes is a Ring on String, not on rope (right Scott?). But you still have to buy these notes. They are sold with my personal guarentee of satisfaction.

Scott's R&R routine, titled Ring and Rope, is in his "More" book (as we in the inner circle call it Smile ).
Yakworld.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

My bad! Yak is right--the routine in the notes is a borrowed finger ring and string trick. "Great Scott's Ring & Rope Routine" is in the "More" book and sold separately.

Aldo has a couple of routines, including the one just mentioned. All are excellent.

Thanks, Yak!
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and Rope Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL