The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Activity in this section (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
I second that opinion Dennis
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
In my area its a rare thing to see mem deck magic. You can do amazing stuff with a mem stack. I don't know why many magicians ignore this concept, its great.
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 09:40, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I find the Café far less useful now that you can't search for stuff. That may be causing a lot of folks to spend less time here, including this section.
Dennis Loomis

If you go to google, you can search the whole forum by typing in

site:http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/ (your search term)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2......ed+stack

(sorry about the snark on that link)
greydonthemagician
View Profile
Regular user
London, Ontario
149 Posts

Profile of greydonthemagician
I'm glad that not many perform stack work! Means we are unique Smile Aronson brought this up in his "bound to please". On page 84 he eludes to 3 reasons for this. One that magicians think a stack is impossible to learn, second that having to switch in the stack during a routine is wracking and third that over the years many effects have come out for the stack that are simply mundane. That every effect using a stack is a simple location effect or a weighing the cards effect. All of these points are valid.

Personally I feel if you don't put time, effort and creativeness into stack work then yes the effects will be long and boring. It is what you do with it, the possibilities are endless. As for the first point learning the stack does take time but once learned it is hard to forget. To the second point, learning a false shuffle and allowing the spectator to shuffle (Eric Mead has some ideas on this)will allow one to already have the stack out in play. I usually will perform one or two effects before a stack effect.

With that I hope that stack work remains used but only few and lets help each other with new ideas. Other Magi don't know what they are missing out on!
MagicLive! 2015 Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yesssss! Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Alright, I'll bite.

What would you folks recommend as a "starter" MD set-up?

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Juan Tamariz' "Mnemonica", and Simon Aronson's "Bound to Please", "Simply Simon", "The Aronson Approach" and "Try the Impossible". Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Jan,

Thanks for the recommendations

J.
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Quote:
On 2010-10-24 05:15, Kjellstrom wrote:
In my area its a rare thing to see mem deck magic. You can do amazing stuff with a mem stack. I don't know why many magicians ignore this concept, its great.

I think most are a) afraid of the work involved memorizing b) can't choose a stack - and this one is BIG, just read some of the arguments about stacks their features etc to get a feel for this c) have a philosophical objection to stacks - something along the lines that it's not sportsmen like to the spectators (true Smile ).
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Hey, neither are any slieghts we use. We are cheating and fooling them(that's not very sportsmen like). However the spectators know that we are cheating. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I don't have a philosophical objection to stacks , nor did I honestly represented it either , I was teasing but it doesn't come through well in writing sometimes. I think the real deal with c) is something along the lines "what about borrowed shuffled deck" (answer: it can be stacked in front of spectators).
Of course I agree with you, in fact , the more something is NOT sportsmen like the better , magic is not the Olympics, you are supposed to cheat as the magician. Mem deck takes it to another level in my opinion, like super steroids or since we like those weapon analogies, its like hunting rabbits with one of those smart self navigating stealth missiles Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Activity in this section (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL