The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lightning- word of warning and misadvertising (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Love Big Bang. Can't say the same for Lightning.

My reasons are quite simple, the light just doesn't look like the glow of a light bulb. I've performed it for a few friends close-up and they didn't spot the gaff, but they did feel that there must have been a gaff. That it wasn't the bulb that had turned on, instead the light was coming from elsewhere. From somewhere other than the bulb. The reasons they gave were quite simply the light was different from the bulb's real light.

If the Lightning gimmick could be redesigned so that when activated the glow looks like what would really be coming from a bulb I'd be much happier with it.

Maybe there's a product on the market I don't know about that does this?

Perhaps something that actually turns the bulb on?

In short, great idea. Just not realistic enough for me.

I love Big Bang though. I have the newer clip, which looks great and makes it completely angle proof!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Anyone know if you could you be on stage and float a bulb, have it flicker and light up?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Not using lightening you couldn't, its a delay thing.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks george1953!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I found it very disapointing that mine completly fell to bit's and I never even got to use it,switch fell apart ,i got it last november, did PM him on here I think he might not be on here anymore though as never got a reply.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I have always used a white D'lite and held It behind the light bulb & it works great Try It & let me know what you think . This is an Idea performed by Rocco.
Best ,
Jeffrey
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 17:23, Fire Starter wrote:
I found it very disapointing that mine completly fell to bit's and I never even got to use it,switch fell apart ,i got it last november, did PM him on here I think he might not be on here anymore though as never got a reply.

Chris Smith is a very caring creator/producer and all around nice guy. I don't think he visits this site to get PM's on his products ( pro or con ). If you e-mail direct, he'll address the problem:

chris@magicsmith.com
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Lightning and Big Bang.
Great products.

Was there a Big Bang II. I seem to remember seeing something about a newer version.

Steve
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
2 Very Good Products!!!
I purchased both of them Big Bang and Lightning.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 05:02, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 17:23, Fire Starter wrote:

Chris Smith is a very caring creator/producer and all around nice guy. I don't think he visits this site to get PM's on his products ( pro or con ). If you e-mail direct, he'll address the problem:

chris@magicsmith.com

Thanks for the link mate,My fault really I left it too long and should of found the contact link you have posted.I have it but it is in peices after me trying to fix it,never mind I proberly got a dodgy one,lol.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I happily use both Lightening and Big Bang. I had to contact Chris once on another unrated issue and found him to be extremely responsive and helpful. His customer service and support was truly outstanding and sincere.

Dan.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
After reading this thread I dug out my Lightning (I hadn't used it for over a year)
It worked perfectly first time.
After playing with it half a dozen times, I dropped it o to the concrete floor of my workshop.
It ended up in three pieces. The plastic outer case. The back cover and the inner workings.

I slipped the parts back together again and it fired up perfectly.

A great gimmick.
A great effect.

Steve
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 04:12, tophatter wrote:
I have always used a white D'lite and held It behind the light bulb & it works great Try It & let me know what you think . This is an Idea performed by Rocco.
Best ,
Jeffrey

I too have used this to good reactions in the past.
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
I have a couple of questions concerning this trick and the handling of it. If someone who owns it could PM me, it would be appreciated.
thank you
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On May 6, 2010, edh wrote:
Was it mentioned that it wasn't a close-up kinda effect? And who is doing the ripping?? Customers it seems.

why you being such a twat?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
This is a bit off track, but something in this thread reminded me of something I did years ago when the first D-lites came out. I kind of made my own spirit light. I used the larger Christmas light bulbs... the ones around the size of a strawberry. I would wrap the bulb in a hanky... and let the side of the hanky kind of droop down. Now through the hanky I held the bulb by my forefinger and middle finger and thumb underneath. By squeezing the D'lite it would look like the bulb is lighting up inside the hanky.

So you could do anything where you pass the bulb over objects, cards, etc, and it lights up when it finds the chosen object. Or use it as a lie detector test. Years later, when I was working on a project with Ted K, he said he had the same idea when D'lite came out, but he had a different handling of the bulb in the hanky.

Anyway, for those bizarre guys it might be a cheap useful alternative.

Greg

P.S. I personally found the the red D'lites with a red bulb worked best.
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Oops, here is what I mean by the larger bulbs:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/8010/H......1wvD_BwE

Greg
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
By the way, years later I saw they were selling D'lites that could change colors. I always wondered if you used the hank/spirit set up and one of those changing lites to kind of do a living/dead test or lie detector test. So as you pass the hanky over billets the light turns green. Suddenly, when you pass it over one billet, it turns red. That billet turns out to be the one with the dead name.

Just a thought.

Greg
richburb
View Profile
New user
Always something new... except when there isn't.
22 Posts

Profile of richburb
Greg, The color changing D'lites/Prisma Lites cycle continually blending from one color to the next while lit. I don't think that would work for what you have in mind. It would be great if they made a light that changed colors by pressing a secondary button, or just changed each time the light was turned off then on again. That would be far more useful. Of course, this is pretty much off topic for this thread.
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Veteran user
Manhattan Beach, CA
356 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
Do you have a video of those two effects being used together that I could see?

Quote:
On May 6, 2010, Christopher Lyle wrote:
There is NO mis-advertising on this product. You CAN make any lightbulb light up. There is no deception in how Chris did his advertising. It's a GREAT PRODUCT and is a big hit in my show.

Let me ask you...WHERE are you performing this? Close up on or Stage?

I only do this on stage. I perform Big Bang and Lightening together and I use a CLEAR blub so they can clearly examine the bulb and see that there is nothing inside other than the stuff that's suppose to be in there.

From a distance, nobody can see the gimmick b/c it's small and it distored by the bag itself...plus when the bulb begins to light up, the light is so bright that you can't really see where it's coming from.

Do you AP have a video of those tow effects used together that I could see?

Also, if you wear a black shirt or black jacket (as pretty much ALL of us Magi do...what's the deal with that anyway???) the gimmick will easily blend in and nobody will see it.

I perform 9 stage shows every weekend at my restaurant and have been doing this routine now for about 4 months. That's 144 shows that I have performed this routine in and NOBODY has caught me on it ONCE!

So to recap...

Lightening is AWESOME and there was no false advertising by Chris Smith at all. He built us a GREAT PRODUCT!

Christopher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lightning- word of warning and misadvertising (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL