The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Zip/cable ties (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Performing where there's no audience? Isn't that time to pack up and go home?

Seriously though, in that situation you just wouldn't use this type of material. Have a smaller show. Maybe some close-up. Get everyone in tight. The same as you would for a street show.

With regards to this effect, all you really need is two people. If you are to perform it this way. Depending on the speed you could do the escape and replace you don't have to use cover.

For small groups I've done Chain Breaker and thumbcuffs with no cover. A little misdirection and you're good to go.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
DavidKim
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of DavidKim
Oh no no..

I paid to be there. Haha.. at few occasions, there will be event company that runs multiple shows at different malls, and some malls in Singapore, are just dead city. Don't ask me why.

So there are chances where, there is a stage, there is a celebrity host, there are performances going on, even prizes, but there is no one really around. And the show still goes on, because we are paid to do the show. But in this kind of situation, I use my assistant to do what the audience will do.

I also wish can pack up and go home, but if the event people say go on with the show, we have to do it, cause we are being paid.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Blimey! Not good!! Never had a show with NOBODY watching. Isn't that called rehearsal? Smile

I don't think I'd like that.

I've had shows with only a few people in the crowd. 7 or 8 people. Much the same kind of venue you talk about. It's not happened often, but on the odd occasion where there are very few people I get them all on stage with me and perform my show up close just to them.

Many times the audience will build from here. But whether it does or doesn't who cares? The few on stage have had a good time.

If it's as dire as it seems just take the money and run!!!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I know a funny story about Ken and an "audience"......

............ but its not my place to tell!
safuto
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of safuto
Ros,
For now only the thumbs Smile
I've tried so many variations using more zip ties, bigger zip ties, different colored zip ties, thumbs and wrist, etc. This version seems to work because of the simplicity and clarity.
When there is no one I have used the microphone to link through and on after I leaned over the stage to be bound as well as an unusual routine wherein I try to remove my coat after "mistakenly" being Thumb Tied.
So many variations because the rigidity of the zip ties allow for a beat more "play".
Joe Monti
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Last weekend I put Poor Boy to the test and used it in an arena stunt. I didn't use the two tie method but the single tie version. It's mentioned in a few lines near the end of the instructions and is by far the better of the two.

Where as the two tie method needs audience management, as I mention above, the single tie version is far more direct.

In fact the spec can make it as tight as they wish... And they do... Your hands go from red to purple in an instant. The thing's seriously tight!

Yet you can escape in seconds, useful when your arms are being ripped off by two timber trucks.

I didn't use cover, I was in an arena though. So if you're doing it close up you may want to come up with something. Then again you may not. It's not essential, just something to ponder.

My advice, if you were thinking of adding a zip tie escape to your show get Poor Boy. 2 methods, both great, plus they can be used as finger/thumb ties too for next to no money.

You simply can't lose!
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Timber trucks? Nice!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Massive things. I asked for two big trucks, they said what tonnage, I said doesn't matter the bigger the better, they gave me two monsters each with a winch that can pull over 30 tonnes... It was these winches that were attached to my arms. Was fun. Painful, but fun Smile
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Just as long as you knew winch one was winch.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
LOL!!! I was expecting that sort of comment from Dave Smile

Now you've used that one up I dread to think what he'll come up with...
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I hoped it'd make you wince.

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 16:10, Roslyn wrote:
LOL!!! I was expecting that sort of comment from Dave Smile

Now you've used that one up I dread to think what he'll come up with...

I am sure I can hoist something up from the depths of my imagination.

It just may take a few moments to get the choker on, the anchor up and then I will be able to start cranking out the usual stupidity for me. And before long, you know, we will all gliding along, spooling out the puns and before you know it we will have elevated the thread to a new height in pun-ology!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Something none of us can escape from.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I am Still here Dave. Just Not as often.

Cable ties with objects like Door Handles and Poles etc are easier as they allow for a bit more movement. You will still take a little skin off with my routines. But it will be genuine and Very visual.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Someone just asked me about my copy of the Jaspernese Thumb Tie.
You can buy it from Magic Inc. That is where I bought mine.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Wow old thread!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Zip/cable ties (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL