The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2010 entrée: John Guastaferro » » "You" tricks » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Howdy John,

The reason that Truth in Advertising jumped out to me (it's one of the tricks that I perform from One Degree) is that the presentation is about you and your experience in advertising. This is a great way to let your audience get to know you and because of my background in marketing, the routine fitted perfectly into my repertoire too.

Do you have any other tricks where you tell audiences about your life outside of magic? It's something I don't remember seeing in any other magic book, so I'm very intrigued.

--Andi
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
373 Posts

Profile of JohnG
I think Truth In Advertising is the first trick with a premise about my life outside of magic.
I've been on a kick of adding more personal touches about myself in other tricks. I am now more intentional about seizing these opportunities.

I did Vino Aces a few weeks ago, and brought up a recent toast with my wife for our 4th anniversary. True stuff.

In the effect Either Or (in One Degree), it allows you to learn more about your participant...but it's also a great opportunity to throw a little about yourself.

In a routine I'm currently working on, and had the great pleasure of showing Josh last week, I'm using the effects as launching pads to add some true anecdotes, such as my first time in Vegas hitting the blackjack tables, or being the father of two girls, etc.

So, as I work through old and new material, I look for contexts that are authentically me. As I mention in one of the essays, AUTHENTICITY (when your outer self matches your inner self) is a powerful thing. This doesn't mean you can't have a character...just make sure its something you're internally wired to do.

Great question!

John G
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
373 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Great topic. Something I think we should all continue thinking about.
In the 'Letterman" thread, Jon Allen mentioned the importance of having an effect that expressed something about YOU.

I challenge all readers to create, find or tweak an effect that can genuinely express who you really are. Even though we might think audiences don't care, I believe they DO. A touch of vulnerability, transparency and authenticity can strengthen the connection with your audience...both ways.

So, even though this topic will be locked soon, keep thinking. I wish you all success in expressing a little more about YOU in your magic.

John G
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Great topic and something I've been thinking about recently.

I reworked an effect of mine/Stephen Tucker's and the presentation I use expresses some of my personal thoughts on magic. It's an interesting routine as it's so completely different than anything else I've come up with. The presentation is quiet and thoughtful, a little monologue, if you will. But it definitely makes the effect more powerful. it got me thinking that I need to try to include a bit more of me in some of my other effects.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2010 entrée: John Guastaferro » » "You" tricks » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL