The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Criss Angel on AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You seem to be buying into the hype. I am certain Criss will be happy that it is working.

His show is flopping, being destroyed as one of the 10 worst things to do in Vegas regularly. Ahhh yes to be famous.

But far more important how does that make us jealous, or have to think of a better way to do it? That was my main question.

I get it. You like it. Cool. That is the beauty of performance. NOBODY is telling you not to like it. The vast majority of those who see it, see it as crap. We are also entitled to an opinion. You have said that to hold that opinion we need to be able to do it better which I say is silly. You have done nothing to change that view.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Interestingly in the top ten worse things to do in Vegas seeing Criss Angel live is between being stabbed and robbed by a methhead and being eaten by a coyotee.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Because Angelina has a TV show and is famous doesn't make me a fan anymore than it makes me a fan of Kirstie Alley or the Kardashians. Some with TV shows and fame are talented,I wouldn't put this Jersey guy on the list. As has been pointed out by others, young children and preteens seem to like him.
Ken Lam
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Ken Lam
Escaping from a straight jacket is not my thing, especially when Mr. Angel does it Smile
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Althought I don't like most of what CA does nor his delivery
I think his straight jacket escape what kind of interesting..

it was just the whole presentation before it that was really boring
but his metamorphosis was really really bad.. it takes way too long from the dissapeaaring of the girl until we see criss angel is 7 seconds.. way too long
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Criss Angel needs to rely on other people's fame to make himself interesting. I can't even count how many times he uses the "aspiring to be like Houdini" patter. The challenges he makes on his show are usually quite unique, but also usually executed badly. The effects he does are just repeats of the same old thing. As someone put it, "he performs a lot of commercially bought effects."

And if we are to compare him to David Blaine and Copperfield, I don't think he stands a chance. David Blaine does do a lot of "standard" effects, but he at least performs according to his character (no matter how monotone it is) and ALWAYS makes sure to catch the reaction of the audience. That IS the power of David Blaine's specials. Criss Angel's show is all about him, even the reaction of the audience is overpowered by him.

As for Copperfield, there's really no comparing. Copperfield has more chops than anyone in the field, that is why he is Copperfield.

Houdini's name still sticks out more in society, which I believe is partly because he died during a performance. Many entertainers are immortalized when they live fast and die young. Houdini obviously contributed greatly to magic, but I wonder how memorable to the public he would have been if he had been given the chance to retire.

Where was I? Oh yeah, Criss Angel has the platform and the resources, but unfortunately doesn't have much execution.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 00:25, Close.Up.Dave wrote:
Houdini's name still sticks out more in society, which I believe is partly because he died during a performance.

Houdini didn't die during a performance, that was Tony Curtis. Houdini died at Grace Hospital in Detroit seven days after his final performance.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 02:36, mtpascoe wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 00:25, Close.Up.Dave wrote:
Houdini's name still sticks out more in society, which I believe is partly because he died during a performance.

Houdini didn't die during a performance, that was Tony Curtis. Houdini died at Grace Hospital in Detroit seven days after his final performance.

LOL Honestly, I did know that. The point I meant to make was he died as a RESULT of his performance (and all other factors).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It had NOTHING TO DO with his performance. Really. He would have died had he not been a performer in the same circumstance.

Watch the opening of Copperfield some day. He has about 7 or 8 minutes of references to David Copperfield in popular culture. 3-30 second clips. Imagine that! Tell me Criss has established that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 10:45, Dannydoyle wrote:
It had NOTHING TO DO with his performance. Really. He would have died had he not been a performer in the same circumstance.

Watch the opening of Copperfield some day. He has about 7 or 8 minutes of references to David Copperfield in popular culture. 3-30 second clips. Imagine that! Tell me Criss has established that.

Well from what I understand,the damage to Houdini's organs was a result of punches when he wasn't ready. Either way, it was his character of being a strongman that led to those blows. To me, that is attributed to performance. I wasn't claiming that the tank escape was the cause. The point was his death, no matter how it happened, was a bit of a help to immortalize him in our culture.

Dave

P.S. I also didn't mean that referencing Houdini is bad, but if that is the only thing you have to go off of then it obviously would be.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The punch to the stomach may not have been what ruptured his appendix. I have never heard of any boxer or anyone else having this happen. I would like to know this for sure if it's possible.

What might have occurred was that his appendix was ruptured about the same time of the punch. The pain he felt in the abdomen was probably from the broken appendix, but Houdini thought it was from the punch to the stomach so he ignored it. Had that not happened, he might have gone to the doctors sooner. But, Houdini was never the type that did, so it’s probably mute.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 16:27, mtpascoe wrote:
The punch to the stomach may not have been what ruptured his appendix. I have never heard of any boxer or anyone else having this happen. I would like to know this for sure if it's possible.

Are you suggesting that someone should punch Criss Angel in the stomach? Shame on you sir Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not in the stomach but punch him for sure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Incidently you fell for watching a movie instead of actually reading.

http://houdinez.tripod.com/hou20.html

There is serious debate as to if it even occured. Actually nobody knows for certain that Houdini even made that claim about taking punches.

One reason may have been that his life insurance company paid "double indemnity" on his claim. Would not have done so if he had simply dies from a burst appendix. Gotta wonder huh? They found it was due to a "dressing room incident".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
truemagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of truemagic
Danny, you can be the first to punch him for sure where ever you want. I suspect a "suckor punch" from you, but expect him to turn out your lights shortly thereafter. Good luck, pal.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Both Criss Angel and David Blaine have done the punch to the stomach routine.

It would not be strange to me if Houdini did it.

These guys are in good shape from what I see (not so much Houdini, he's dead Smile).

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-09-21 04:00, truemagic wrote:
Danny, you can be the first to punch him for sure where ever you want. I suspect a "suckor punch" from you, but expect him to turn out your lights shortly thereafter. Good luck, pal.

You are funny. Having never been in a room with me, or with Criss most likely you just make grand childish pronouncements.

Second of all, there were a series of jokes and mine was just added. Obviously one reason you are such a fanboy of Criss is that you have no sense of humor. That plays right into his wheelhouse I must say.

Third of all, well I advocate not punching anyone in reality for simply being a bad performer. (Otherwise it would get way too ugly.) It is so sad that this forum has been reduced to having to explain what a joke is but oh well. Actually I advocate punching people for very few reasons.

Lastly, Criss is DEFINATELY in FAR better physical condition than I am. But somehow I do not figure him for the fighting type. I mean there is a HUGE difference in fighting and physical conditioning. On some level he is obviously a gym rat, but he has been hiding from confrontation behind his body guards for quite a long time now. To ascribe him the ability to actually fight might be reaching I don't know. Point is neither do you.

So lets not get down that silly internet road of "Oh I am tougher than so and so" and yada yada yada. It makes so little sense. It is just internet buffoonery and does not really make you look great. If it makes you feel better I am sure he would do whatever you say he would LOL.

Spend a bit more time than 3 posts before you just assume you know people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Is truemagic actually Criss Angel? Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Criss Angel on AGT (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL