The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Magic Cave. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I would invest in a close-up mat as well. Also keep several decks of cards in differing states of use... ie. new deck, a slightly used deck, and a well used deck. Practice with them alternately so you become used to the slight deviations in technique that you will find yourself doing to compensate for slipperiness, stickiness, etc.

A good performer should be able to manipulate even with borrowed decks in shabby condition or even Bridge sized cards...This reminds me of a time I went to my sister's home without cards and my niece wanted to see some card magic. She handed me a 10+ year old deck of sticky bridge sized cards from a drugstore that had been out of business more than a decade and a half. Needless to say I relied on some self workers to amuse her. Lesson learned. I always carry some cards now when I visit...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
All great tips. Thanks. I am going to rummage through the garage to see what I can find before I go and spend money on equipment (mirrors, tables, chests, etc etc).

Shamsiel
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 02:52, gaddy wrote:
A locking cabinet so your significant other can't see exactly how much money you've wasted on magic...

This my friends, is the most valuable tip of all...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 19:15, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 02:52, gaddy wrote:
A locking cabinet so your significant other can't see exactly how much money you've wasted on magic...

This my friends, is the most valuable tip of all...

How true.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
A Magic Man Cave? No, but that sounds like something I need to pursue!

As for the brain-picking, I think that's what the "New to Magic" is for! I can tell you I got a lot of valuable info here thanks to you asking the questions.

I haven't figured out what to do with my stuff yet either. I have cards and books, and a few gimmicks. I was thinking about buying a $6 computer pad at Overstock for my close-up pad but I like the foam from JoAnn idea too.
mediamonk
View Profile
Regular user
Walla Walla
103 Posts

Profile of mediamonk
My take on the foam, since I suggested it...the major advantage is being able to cut it to what ever size you want. That can be accomplished with a yoga mat or similar too. I also took that foam, spray glued it to a backing board, covered it with a nice pinstriped suit material, edged it with molding and now have a great looking table top perfomance area. Suitable for most any situation.

Stephen
"There are two ways of living life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is." -Albert Einstein
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I don't disagree that you should work on a variety of surfaces however I think that having a close-up mat is a necessity. Sure we don't always have the luxury of using a close-up mat however they are classy and come in all shapes and sizes for a variety of performance situations. There are some distinct advantages to using a mat such as beautiful and consistent ribbon spreads and classic coin matrix routines that require a surface that gives. And you won't be fumbling to pick up a card from a slick table. I just retired my old pad and got a new pad. It is absolutely beautiful, plush and very large and cost me a whopping $12.75.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S5722
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 10:37, funsway wrote:
The advantage of a Man-Cave is that you can leave effects out for continuous practice without putting them away in an organized fashion. The disadvantage is that you leave them out for continuous use without proper organization. Sigh!

Now you've done it, Ken. You meant "Magic Cave", yes?

As for me, I have a spacious, secluded Magic Cave. I just have to share it with the livestock...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
KMFrye
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KMFrye
I have a nice office-sized space that the wee lady calls the "Man Cave".

But she's wrong - it's a "study". Smile

It's a great place to practise and write, and as Ken/Funsway wrote, I can leave tricks out and practise them on and off throughout the week.

Of course, when we have a guest staying overnight, everything gets put away so the couch can turn into a sleeper. That's kinda magical. Smile
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
I haven't bought any tricks, gimmicks, or anything yet. I'm a true noob. I only have a pack of cards, Hay's bible and Corinda's Steps. But I have a spare room with a huge mirror. Besides, the woman that lives in my house ( AKA "the wife") doesn't mind, she has known all along that I'm a little eccentric.

And when it comes to spending money in magic... she will have a FIT! Because if something can describe us is Frugality. So... I think I might have to get that locking cabinet before I get deeper into this art. Lord knows that my attempts at Juggling and dieting have her worried already.

Shamsiel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Magic Cave. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL