The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Three Card Monte Ditch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
How do you guys handle gaffed cards at the end of a three card monte routine? Do you switch them out for real cards, manage the audience so it's never a question, or continue on with some other effect?

To give you a frame of reference, I'm talking about one-on-one (or small group) close-up performances, not a "parlor" setting. In your experience, do people want to handle the cards afterwards?
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Just an idea, you could have the ungaffed version of those three cards on top of the deck and when done performing the monte casually drop the 3 cards on top of the deck and perform a multiple card switch such as the Talazac switch.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Continue on with some other effect which uses the ungaffed version of the cards put into the hands of the spectators. In that way, you don't say "examine these," you simply make it possible while moving the show forward. Also, it helps to remove the "heat" from any subsequent gaffs you may later wish to introduce.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I really like Loopback and Spellbinder's ideas. Another obvious is of course a Himber. And the easiest? Pop the cards into your pocket (this works well if your presentation allows it) but but immediately pull them out again such that the illusion is they never went all the way in. This is a very Slydini-esque approach.

As for Loopbacks idea of a multiple switch, you could also do a multiple top change, a Jinx Change (very bold but very deceptive). Loopback, do you have a reference for the Talazac?

One final suggestion. Have the three ungaffed on top of the deck. After the monte, just place the gaffs on top of the deck then one hand top palm them off as you hand the deck for shuffling. Even easier is to have the three ungaffed on the bottom of the pack, place the pack ON the gaffs, then Gambler's Cop.

अहिंसा

Vlad
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I'm assuming you're talking about the gaffs popularised by Skinner right? Here's what I'd do:

Put a normal loser card in your right jacket pocket.

When you want to finish your routine, DL to show the normal loser card on top, then put the top card in your left jacket pocket, "to make the game easier." Mix the two remaining cards and get your mark to find the money card. Show both cards to be loser cards. Remove the money card from your pocket.

As you remove the money card from your left pocket (turning the left side of your body towards your audience), dip your right hand into your right jacket pocket, switching the gaff for a normal loser card (you could also switch both cards for duplicate money cards for a killer kicker ending - this is my favourite approach).

This approach justifies putting the card into your pocket, making the switch much harder to spot.

Alternatively, you could DL to show the normal loser card, then put the gaffed card in your jacket pocket. This leaves you with a normal loser card and a normal money card. If they ask to see the other loser card, remove the normal card from your pocket.

HTH,

Marty

P.S. Moser's Miracle Monte also solves this problem nicely. The final phase 'cleans up' the effect. I think this is the best approach, but it does involve destroying one gaff per performance.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Just remembered, Gordon Bean also has some great ideas on this subject, see Temptation and Monte 3.0. These routines are designed to be performed at chest height and are invaluable for the strolling performer.

He did once say he was going to produce a DVD with all his monte stuff on it. I hope he does someday (hint, hint).

HTH,

Marty
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! Vlad, your "easiest" suggestion was my first thought as well (having ungaffed versions in the pocket, start to put them in, then pull them back out as if you didn't think they would want to look at them).
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte has been one of my favorites for years. Probably perform this 15 to 20 times a week. After I'm done performing the routine, I simply put the 3 cards in my outside top coat pocket. I've only been asked 1 time why I put the cards there as opposed to back into the deck. My reply was because I'm not going to have you select a card and I would like you to sign it. If you picked one of those 3 cards, I would not be able to perform the 3 Card Monte again. Nothing else was said.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 04:59, Vlad_77 wrote:

As for Loopbacks idea of a multiple switch, you could also do a multiple top change, a Jinx Change (very bold but very deceptive). Loopback, do you have a reference for the Talazac?

Vlad I learned the Talazac switch from Giobbi's Card College Volume 4. In it Giobbi states the concept dates back to a nineteenth century top change technique by French professional Jean-Jacques-Maurice Talazac.

In the bibliograph notes it states: "See "Third Method" in Gaultier's Magic Without Apparatus, page 100. While this change is explained as a switch of one card for another, Gaultier comments on page 101 that "it is clear that...you can change three or four cards at once" And indeed this was illustrated by Hugard and Braue in Expert Card Technique, in an ace assembly titled "Le Temps Aces", pg 248.

Hope that helps.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 13:24, Loopback wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 04:59, Vlad_77 wrote:

Vlad I learned the Talazac switch from Giobbi's Card College Volume 4. In it Giobbi states the concept dates back to a nineteenth century top change technique by French professional Jean-Jacques-Maurice Talazac.

In the bibliograph notes it states: "See "Third Method" in Gaultier's Magic Without Apparatus, page 100. While this change is explained as a switch of one card for another, Gaultier comments on page 101 that "it is clear that...you can change three or four cards at once" And indeed this was illustrated by Hugard and Braue in Expert Card Technique, in an ace assembly titled "Le Temps Aces", pg 248.

Hope that helps.

Loopback,

It helps immensely, and thank you! I will consult CC4, Gaultier and ECT!!

अहिंसा

Vlad
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I have never had anyone ask to see them. If done right the 3 card monty takes you through the process where most people believe that they have already seen the three cards fairly. For those that don't believe it then I simply drop the rest of the deck on top of them and go right into another trick. I don't even give them a chance.

My 2 cents.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
I normally use a wallet. Himber wallet is a good choice. But if you stay calm and confident during your act the spectators won't ask to examine the cards. I hope it helps. See you!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Three Card Monte Ditch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL