The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » My version of Twisting The Aces (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I came up with a version of twisting the aces in which I do everything as per the normal routine but at the end I turn the cards up one by one and the last ace has turned into the spectators signed card.

Now, I am not really a "card guy" and I am presuming what I came up with probably isn't new. I was just wondering where I can find any routines similar to what I came up with.

Thanks.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
bicycle66
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
I can not remember which DVD but in Bill Malone on the Loose he showed a twisting the aces which sounds similar to what you are describing. When I go home I will look at the DVDs and let you know the volume. Hope this helps Sean.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks Sean.

I came up with what I think is a pretty good way to finish the routine. You have a card signed and returned to the deck, you remove the four aces and perform twisting the aces and then you show three aces and the last ace has turned into the spectators signed card. But I find it hard to believe that no one has ever done this before? Would be interested in the Bill Malone routine.

Thanks
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
The amazing Thirdeye
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
26 Posts

Profile of The amazing Thirdeye
Quote:
On 2010-11-25 20:48, bicycle66 wrote:
I can not remember which DVD but in Bill Malone on the loose he showed a twisting the aces which sounds similar to what you are describing. When I go home I will look at the DVDs and let you know the volume. Hope this helps Sean.

If we are thinking about the same effect, it is on Bill Malone's On The Loose Vol. 2 and it's called Think, Touch, Turn.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
If my memory serves me right (it sometimes does), Bro. John Hamman's "Twisting Revisited" uses the A,2,3,4 of spades, and the last card, when turned face up is a red 4. Could just as easily be a signed card.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
In my TTA routine, I end with the Heart card, which I reverse spread to show a blank. Lots of fodder for routines with "finding your heart" which I feel puts the necessary period on the end of a great effect...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
You could do the same kind of thing by just doing twisting the aces as normal, then following up with "A problem with Hofzinser" from the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, where the ace that corisponds to the suit of the selected card turns face down magically, then turns out to be the selected card, and the ace is then shown to be face up in the center of the deck.

There's also Royal Twist from the same book, where the cards turn face up one at a time, and the last turns out to be the ace of spades, then the cards are immediatley shown to have changed into a royal flush. Could be adjusted with a little thought to be the three mates to the selected card.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
magogae
View Profile
New user
Torino (Italy)
32 Posts

Profile of magogae
About Twisting the aces I can't find in magic cafè an old post related to "how to get in Twisting the aces effect", can you help me? it was a post about an alternative move to prepare the 4 cards for the twisting effect.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Mike Ammar has a nice twisting aces routine on his Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 2. I think it is Dai Vernon's routine.
You may want to check that one out.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 13:30, TC Ryder wrote:
Mike Ammar has a nice twisting aces routine on his Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 2. I think it is Dai Vernon's routine.

TC

This is not a twisting aces effect, this is pretty much THE Twisting the Aces effect.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I came up with a version a long time ago where the last Ace (Spades) has vanished from the packet and ends up face-up in the deck of cards. I wanted to give the routine a twist at the end. (pardon the pun)

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
OL1VERscheiber
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of OL1VERscheiber
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 07:45, magogae wrote:
About Twisting the aces I can't find in magic cafè an old post related to "how to get in Twisting the aces effect", can you help me? it was a post about an alternative move to prepare the 4 cards for the twisting effect.

Look into Jon Racherbaumer's Counthesaurus page 135, method 2 "Preparing to Twist", another hint is Ken Krenzel.
"Practicing is a lot like a bank. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out." - Dai Vernon
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Some ideas similar to what others have mentioned:

In Racherbaumer's Good Twists & Turns he has two routines which are obvious derivatives of the classic twisting the aces routine, but are described using the A, 2, 3, and 4 of clubs. On one routine, the final card (the 4) turns face up as a red 4 but it could be a signed card. However, if it was signed, the final switch back to the four of clubs would make less sense.

The second routine has a card physically selected from the deck and then "lost" in the deck. The performer then goes through the full A-4 of clubs twisting and then even a few more effects. Finally a spectator freely selects a card in the A-4 packet (verbally announces the selection, doesn't pick it physically) and then this single card does a few flips face-down, face-up and face-down. Finally it is turned over and shown to be the originally selected card. I don't remember the signing being emphasized, but it can be a signed card. You could easily do this with four aces rather than the A, 2, 3 & 4 of clubs.

I do both of these routines and they have been favorites of mine for about 20-years.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Here's a half-baked idea... Have spect choose a card freely. Use a dbl turnover to get them to actually sign the back of the Ace of Spades. Dbl turnover again and table the face up indifferent card which they think has their signature on the back (wrist kill the ace). Do twisting the aces with face up aces turning face down one by one. The last one, the ace of spades, turns face down -- and shocker -- has their signature on it. The tabled card can now be shown to have no sig on the back. With some thinking about it, you could attach some meaning to the indifferent tabled card and the aces through yr patter, etc.
Magic & Mentalism
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-11-23 10:37, aussiemagic wrote:
I came up with a version of twisting the aces in which I do everything as per the normal routine but at the end I turn the cards up one by one and the last ace has turned into the spectators signed card...

As others have mentioned, some of the card guys associate the basic theme with a minor item of Hofzinser's. Those who've read on the guy would quickly realize that without a presentation it appears rather self indulgent to ask the person who took a card to bear with you as you get the suit of their chosen card wrong three times only to find the last "guess" of a suit is in fact their card. Perhaps if framed it could play. It's an intermediate level card exploration, sort of "okay you learned how to do a sidesteal and Vernon's Twisting routine so let's see if I an get away with this, and then oh yes have the last ace turned over in the pack too" ...

If you came to that on your own - good. Keep up that sort of exploration and make sure to try them out for audiences and find what combination of parts of known tricks works well for you. That is the path of a serious card student. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 17:01, Scott Fridinger wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 13:30, TC Ryder wrote:

TC

This is not a twisting aces effect, this is pretty much THE Twisting the Aces effect.

Well spotted Scott! Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2010-11-23 10:37, aussiemagic wrote:
I came up with a version of twisting the aces in which I do everything as per the normal routine but at the end I turn the cards up one by one and the last ace has turned into the spectators signed card.

Now, I am not really a "card guy" and I am presuming what I came up with probably isn't new. I was just wondering where I can find any routines similar to what I came up with.

Thanks.

I am one that don't like people signing cards, because I feel it slows down the pace. If I did used your idea, I would place the signed card in the card box all by itself for safe keeping. I am sure you are ahead of me on this... The last ace turns into the signed card and the missing ace is dumped out of the card box. That would be one way that I would like to do it.

R
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I think Simon Lovell advocates signing the A-S in Vernon's TTA. Because it hold some of your helper's personality, the card will not obey you, so will not 'twist'. Give your volunteer the packet, get them to do the final twist and to have a more memorable ending.

If you want to research different versions of this plot, the following post by Lawerence O is an excellent starting point:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6531347

Marty
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Yep, it was Lovell:

"I'm certainly not the only one who has thought of doing twisting the aces with four chosen cards instead but if you haven't tried this I suggest you do so - it takes an already powerful effect and adds high emotional content to it! A tiny addition is that the card playing the ace of spades is a signed card from a previous effect while the others are unsigned. I can turn the unsigned ones but can't turn the one with the signature upon it, "because it has too much of the spectators personality imprinted upon it." I then give the packet to the spectator who signed it and get them to twist the packet and spread it out to show that they've 'turned' the card! The reaction is really cool with the added advantage that the climax of the effect happens in their hands - always a powerful syndrome. The routine I use by the way is the classic Vernon one, still the best in my humble opinion!"

Read the whole article here.

Marty
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Marty, good stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » My version of Twisting The Aces (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL