The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Henry Evans printing effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
On Reel Magic 19, Several Magicians including Henry Evans go to China along with Kozmo.

Henry Evans performs a card printing type effect in which he uses a small roller as a prop.
I thought this was very nice and was wondering if anyone new what it's called and if it's been in print, etc.?

Thanks!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
The trick Henry performs is actually called "Printing" and it is a marketed packet effect by Dominique Duvivier.

Daryl made it quite popular about 15 to 20 years ago, but at the time the cards were printed to duplicate an European brand of cards, which may have limited it popularity with American magicians.

However, at some point the trick was re-released in Bicycle stock, so that is what is available currently.

It is basically a twist on the "Wild Card" effect, and Henry evidently just added the roller as a nice presentational hook.

It used to retail for around $20, but if you do a Google search for "Printing by Dominique Duvivier" you can find it in the $16 to $17 range at several dealers.

Cheers
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Daryl's version is called Presto Printo and I think it is better in many ways to the original. Here's a video of Daryl performing the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_pRoJmhgo

HTH,

Marty
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I have both Printing and Presto Printo. For a long time now. When I saw Evans do his on the Reel Magic DVD, I didn't think it was either.
It may be that his handling is different enough that it went by me.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Quote:
On 2011-02-24 16:38, martyjacobs wrote:
Daryl's version is called Presto Printo and I think it is better in many ways to the original. Here's a video of Daryl performing the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_pRoJmhgo

HTH,

Marty

I originally was going to mention Daryl's version, but then edited it out of my post because I thought it kind of clouded my response.

However, I will explain my statement. Before Daryl devised and started marketing "Presto Printo" he was demonstrating and selling Duvivier's Printing trick in all his lectures. This was back in the late 80's or early 90's. Along with Duvivier's instructions, Daryl included an extra sheet of instructions in the packet with his revised handling. As I indicated the original had the disadvantage that the cards were an European brand not readily available in the US.

At some point in time Daryl developed his own version, had the cards printed to match Bike stock, and started marketing them under his "Fooler Doolers" line of tricks as "Presto Printo". Of course at this point he dropped Duvivier's Printing from his lectures.

Although different in many ways, Daryl's trick obviously owes some of it's concept to the Duvivier trick--just as both ultimately owe their basic concepts to the "Wild card" effect. "Presto Printo" retails for $30 while Printing can be had in the $17 range--although Daryl's version does come with an instructional DVD.

Although packaged out of France, at some point the original Duvivier version got re-issued in Bike stock, making it a bit more workable for the US market.

I think both versions are good and will entertain with a good presentation--it's just a matter of which one floats your boat. However if you wanted to use the roller prop as Henry Evan does, it would work best for "Printing" since it could be used for all the revelations.

I thought I would also mention that I have seen at least two performers use different back reveals for the last two cards in "Printing". Instead of the Green back and the card case logo, Joshua Jay has one card duplicate the inside of his wallet and the other changes to a reverse color image of the palm and fingers of the hand that was holding it. This is on his "Close-up, Up Close" videos from L&L. Obviously one might have to do--or have done--some custom card work done for this.

Cheers

P.S. I haven't taken the time to check, but like Josh Jay, Henry Evan may have also altered one or both of the last reveals, which might have made it seem like a slightly different trick.
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Nerdini,

thanks for jthe info. I need to study the Evans handling again.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Indeed you were right about printing.
– Karl Germain
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Thanks for the posting. I've been looking for this effect after seeing it on Reel Magic.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
What threw me was that the cards Evans used were made up in Bicycle cards and the version I have is an older one using a back design I've never seen before, as mentioned. For that reason I've always used Daryl's Presto Printo. Although, I do really like Henry's handling and presentation.
– Karl Germain
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Does anyone know whether or not the Printing cards are available in jumbo? This would make a great parlor or stand-up effect.

Thanks much.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I've never seen either version in jumbo size.
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Henry Evans printing effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL