The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Water bowl production (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 10, 2011, JamesinLA wrote:
Don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes:

I want to produce a water bowl using the gimmicked round table method. Two questions:

1) Any recommendations where to buy a good model?
2) After producing a bowl of water, I'd like to do something with it in terms of another effect. Any ideas of possible things do with it after producing it?
Thanks.

Jim

Jim>>>>>Unless you are strongly "committed" to producing a BOWL (with water) have you considered the old RAYMOND production of oranges or other fruit)in a "shower" from the table cloth? I know that Richard Hughes makes a fine gimmick for same. The late Ormond McGill wrote up his handling in a long out of print booklet (ca 1940s). Harry Senior used it (before the fountain) in the "flower opening".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2015, Uncle Joe wrote:
Voitco production table is your answer.

Responding to Uncle Joe's post. No offense UJ, but, OP wants to produce a bowl of water USING the old standard method, if I understand him. The VV table is, undoubtedly a nice looking prop, albeit expensive! (here comes the BUT: But, the items produced rather obviously "come" from the draped table.

It seems that there are similarities of method between this and the traditional (watch for the drop).

Where the VV table fails is that the items produced are not larger than the table top, as with the traditional method. In my opinion, that is a weakness that points to method.

This is an old thread, so any info for the OP may be obsolete by now.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ok, If you want to produce a bowl of water from your coat, you need to start reading a bit. "Okito on Magic" has a reference to it so you can read Okitos suggestion. Basically, you are dealing with a watertight cover, a pocket in the coat, a foulard and a lot of guts.
I used to produce a fireball this way years ago. it takes quite bit of practice to make it look smooth. Plus you have to deal with the problem of spilling or transporting water.
The Raymond orange produce can be adapted to other things and is a less messier alternative to a water bowl.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Rick Moratta is still selling his Fish Bowl Production, from foldable cloth bag. It is currently on sale for only $190.00. Nice easy to do huge Bowl Of Water production.

http://richmarotta.com/store/fish-bowl-production/

No table to mess with, and a great audience pleaser. Get yours today before they are all gone!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you just want to produce a smaller bowl, say 7"-8" diameter and maybe 2" high, check out Al Baker's method in "Magical Ways and Means". Super simple. I use it to produce a nested stack of giant pocket watches.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's still sell their Modern Bowl of Water production, 7" x 1-1/2". I use to do this in my opening routine.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Moder......oryId=-1

Kind of skimpy on the printed directions, so you might want to pick up Magical Ways and means for some methods and hints.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
When I first read the bowl production in "Magical Ways and Means", I thought (and you might, too), "This will never work." But, it does.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OKITO, lecturing at the 1950 IBM Convention, explained how to use a foulard for producing fire bowls, bowls or water, bouquets, ETC.

His technique was exactly OPPOSITE to the "standard" technique. Of course, even the "standard" technique is seldom seen, today.

For years, I would demo it in my lecture, to produce an open parasol.

Right! Michael!!! Al Bsker's method WORKS!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I remember we got our 1st television in 1950 or 1951, I would have been 3 or 4 years old, I remember because I got up from the sitting in front of the television on the floor, to see an ambulance had pulled up in front of the house. An ambulance in those days was a station wagon automobile, and the police drove them. They had brought home my mother and baby sister. Televisions in the 1950's and early 1960's were we called, Black and White, which today they call, gray scale. Color television had not been invented yet, or at least on the consumer market to my knowledge. There was a popular television show on prime time called, "What's My Line". It was a panel of 4 personalities, ask questions of a guest to guess his occupation.

There was a young teenager on the show one evening, the final reveal was that he was, you guessed it and they did not, a Magician. After the person revealed his profession, he, as I remember it, produced a playing card out of the air. Then got up and walked toward the camera, which backed up to show a table. The table had a very large round top, maybe 20 inches or so round. He had a very large heavy cloth, showed both sides and covered the table top. When he removed the cloth, there was a huge container of water on the table top.

It was very different then any of the standard bowls for lack of a better word, It was straight sided, only maybe 4 inches deep, covering the entire top of the table, some 20 inches in diameter. Can't remember if the table top was the same size, I think it was.

That young magician impressed me so much, that still, to this day some 60 years later I remember that television event. That is why I have always wanted to perform the Bowl of Water production.

I often wondered who was the young magician, did he become a one of the names in magic later on.

You have to remember, shows were filmed on what they called "Kinescope", and there were not any repeat airings of television shows. If you missed it, you missed it, never to be seen again.

The Bowl Of Water Production was impressive to me.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
If you just want to produce a smaller bowl, say 7"-8" diameter and maybe 2" high, check out Al Baker's method in "Magical Ways and Means".

When I first read the bowl production in "Magical Ways and Means", I thought (and you might, too), "This will never work." But, it does.

My experience has been: "if Al Baker says it is a good method, it's a GOOD METHOD. 'Nuff said."

Al Baker recommends the Abbott's "Modern Water Bowl" , about 7.5" diameter , 1.75" - 2" deep . Abbott's no longer makes it. I'd love to be able to find a similar size bowl. I've seen some "pasta bowls" "low bowls" that are between 1.75" - 2" deep , but they are usually 12" diameter , which is too large. The bowl needs to be arond 7" - 7.5" , maybe 8" in diameter at the most for the Baker method. I still see the Rich Marotta bowl pop up for sale now and then. That might be suitable for the Al Baker version, called The Naomi Goldfish Bowl Production (named after his daughter Naomi). Although Marotta's handling , with the bowl produced from a bag is great in it's own right.

In the book , Baker mentions:

"This method is peculiarly suitable for a lady magician, an evening gown apparently affording no possible hiding place for such a bowl. Indeed, at a recent Ladies Night of the Society of American Magicians, Parent Assembly, my daughter, Naomi, completely baffled the magicians present with this feat."

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2023, David Todd wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
If you just want to produce a smaller bowl, say 7"-8" diameter and maybe 2" high, check out Al Baker's method in "Magical Ways and Means".

My experience has been: "if Al Baker says it is a good method, it's a GOOD METHOD. 'Nuff said."

Al Baker recommends the Abbott's "Modern Water Bowl" , about 7.5" diameter , 1.75" - 2" deep . Abbott's no longer makes it. I'd love to be able to find a similar size bowl.

These shallow plastic bowls might be suitable (would have to be gimmicked a la Abbott's Modern Water Bowl). Unfortunately these are only sold in lots of 20 , so would cost $39.95.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Decoratio......8TLMX2N/

7.5 diameter , 1.25" deep. (Abbott's Modern Water Bowl was 7" diameter 1.5" deep.

Click here to view attached image.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2023, David Todd wrote:

These shallow plastic bowls might be suitable (would have to be gimmicked a la Abbott's Modern Water Bowl). Unfortunately these are only sold in lots of 20 , so would cost $39.95.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Decoratio......8TLMX2N/

7.5 diameter , 1.25" deep. (Abbott's Modern Water Bowl was 7" diameter 1.5" deep.

Or these look like they would work:

https://www.az-boutique.com/round-transp......lex.html

8" diameter, by 1.8" deep.

Click here to view attached image.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
I first learned of the table method for producing a bowl of water from Paul Curry's excellent book, "Magician's Magic".

It's a beautiful effect!

There is of course the discrepancy of the table being shorter after the bowl is produced than it was before.

If you worry about such things, a method for constructing a table which is the same height both before and after the production, can be found in Ellison Poland's book, "Wonderful Routines of Magic".

A book David Roth referred to as "A minor classic".
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Okito on Magic has the work on production of the bowl from the body. Some of the early bowls were sealable that allowed them to be filled and then sealed and hidden on the body. Conradi made a beautiful glass one with a screw in metal plug. I doubt if you could ever find one of those or anyone to make them.
Thirty years ago, I used produce a firebowl in the opening that was body loaded. I did not use a pocket but just held in place under my arm and restricted my movement. But that went out of the act years ago due to the problems with fire.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
A lot to be said for the classic foulard production...

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Abbott's I think) used sell a square table that enabled you to produce TWO gigantic round glass bowls of water. All you had to do is step on a lever and a built-in "elevator" brought the first bowl into view.

Under cover Smile of this misdirection a second gigantic round bowl of water (neither bowl had any covering or sealing of the water) was produced from the foulard.

This is one of those rare birds I really regret selling... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Water bowl production (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL