The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Kyle MacNeil's Inventions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks!
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Hi everyone!

I was one of the people who got a review copy of Kyle McNeill's "Inventions", and as promised, I posted a review on my blog:

http://www.artfulartifice.com/2011/06/in......mcneill/

Cheers!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks!
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
Kyle MacNeill’s Inventions

Before jumping into the review, I wish to open with a few words concerning the book’s author. People like Kyle MacNeill represent the future of card magic. His work is doable, dynamic, and dangerous. Although far from perfect, Kyle’s work is hugely impressive. I urge any doubters to take him seriously. His ingenuity reaches far beyond his years, as does his dedication and love for the art of magic. With this in mind, the critique that follows will not exude bias in favour of his age. Youth is not to be treated as a handicap, but rather as a basis in which to learn.

Inventions opens with a short essay discussing creativity. Everyone who buys this book should study Kyle’s attitude thoroughly. Although his words lack the refinement of an experienced writer, his message is still clear. Kyle’s essay frames Inventions nicely by urging its readers to think and be creative at every turn of the page. Kyle bravely acknowledges that his methods are not always “streamlined” to his complete satisfaction. In doing this, he encourages his readership to consider possible improvements. The theme of “inventing” is excellent, and maturely approached.

The first effect in this book is called “Transmogrify V.2.0”. The title suits this effect’s extremely visual nature. Kyle reinvents a classic transposition effect by incorporating three cards rather than the typical two. The effect is explained sufficiently, but I think a more detailed job could have been done. I take issue with the number of random cards in the effect. In a classic two card transposition, the introduction of a single odd card is not confusing to the spectator. Using two odd cards throws the balance out a bit too much. The primary focus should be more on the selected card, in my opinion. It probably could be pulled off with patter that justifies the odd cards, but Kyle provides none. I realise that he wants his readers to think and invent, but a starting point would have been a nice touch. Kyle provides a video performance of this effect, which is good, but sadly lacking any hard-hitting, inventive patter.

Kyle’s second effect is called “Biddle Revisited!” I like this one. It is a variation of the classic Biddle trick. This effect has a killer ending, and uses some interesting sleights to get there. Kyle appropriately credits all of the sleights he uses. However, he does not always offer up a source in which to chase these sleights up for closer study. This is a shame.

Kyle’s third trick is called “Spectator Does the Sandwich!” This is a marvellous effect. It is a completely hands off sandwich trick. I like this effect because the sleights are simple, and unknowingly carried out by the spectator. This effect is visual, with a fantastic surprise ending. I am pleased to say that Kyle’s patter in this effect is stronger, thereby making every step justified. I would buy Inventions for this little gem alone.

The fourth trick is named “Lucky! V.2.0” This one starts out promising, but sadly fails to deliver a massive punch. The idea behind this trick is brilliant, but Kyle’s patter lets it down a bit. I felt shivers of excitement when I read: “Now turn over the 4 of clubs… and comment that in many cultures, a 4 leaf clover is lucky…” (17). I was expecting to see a series of demonstrations as to why this card is luckier than the others. None really came through to my liking except at the very end of the trick. In my opinion, a trick with a strong theme like this has the potential to become a whole routine given a little more thought. I do appreciate that Kyle wanted to keep this effect streamlined though, obviously that is his decision. After the first part of the trick is over, things pick up a bit. The crux of this effect is a three card location. This part is well executed, and interesting.

Kyle’s fifth effect is called “Cluster Kings”. This is a variation of Lee Smith’s “Kickback Kings”. Unfortunately, Kyle assumes that his readership knows about this kind of effect already. He does not describe it; he merely states that it is similar to a number of other versions. If I were not familiar with “Cluster Kings”, I would be feeling a little lost from the onset. The effect still is very good though, and as always very visual. I enjoyed this handling.

The sixth effect in this book is an approach to Hofzinser’s Ace Problem, He’s Hoff Again!” Kyle provides a very direct, workable solution to the problem. I would adjust some of the handling slightly, but this comes down to personal preference. Kyle’s explanation for the effect could be made clearer in places, but it is definitely not impossible to follow. The video performance for this effect helps a lot too. The handling of this effect is another of Kyle’s gems.

The last effect in the book is called “Neutrons”, a miniature version of card-thru-window. This is a wonderful effect. It features a new colour change, involving a card box with a cellophane window. I was pleased to see Kyle using patter to justify the cellophane add-on. This is a very strong piece of close up magic based around the idea of a magnet card. The colour change is awesome, and the ending was a complete surprise to me. However, there are things that I would change to make this effect a little stronger. I love the idea though, really good stuff.

The next section of the book is called “Moves”. I am not sure why, for only one move is taught, Kyle’s new colour change. The explanation for this move is very thorough; I have no critique to offer.

Inventions finishes with a discussion about the Impromptu Invisible Deck. Kyle presents a solution that he is in the process of refining. I like the idea behind it, but as Kyle acknowledges, it needs a lot of work. Some would argue that it is bad practise to end a magic book with an incomplete effect. Usually, I would agree. In this instance however, I see Kyle’s IID as more of a conceptual bonus gift, a gift that can be taken away and worked on by his readership. It frames the theme of inventing nicely, as does Kyle’s opening essay.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reviewing Inventions. I hope that everyone out there considering buying it has now been persuaded into giving it a chance. There is some fantastic material in this book. Well done Kyle.

Zac
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks, very detailed and helpful review!
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
No worries. hope you sell plenty Smile
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
I have nothing to add to the above reviews. I would like to say that this is Kyle's best work so far. Keep it up young sir. You are a credit to magic.

Best

John

http://www.johncareymagic.co.uk
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks very much John! Smile

Best wishes,

Kyle
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Just a quick note from me, for what it is worth - I have not seen Kyles stuff before but I was impressed with what I saw. I don't really have anything to add to what I have already read in the above reviews and so I won't go over the same ground again, except to say that I was impressed! The production standards are good and it is good to see both the written word and a video link to enable viewing of the effect. The best of both worlds, in my book. Writers, take note! The only - for, me, constructive criticism I would add - is that there are lots of references to sleights (which is good) but it becomes a mammoth task then tracking down these moves, particularly if, like me, you are living in an area of the world where access to magic shops/books etc is really rather difficult. If a move is required then it would be great to see a description of it written (that's my opinion anyway, standing by for incoming!); you may disagree. It certainly encourages further reading and investigation, so maybe this is a good thing?

Well thought out and a credit to you, Kyle! Keep em coming! And you lot...keep encouraging a young and fresh talent!! Marvellous to see a youngster so involved creatively. He deserves your support....
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think it's best the way it is because it gives it that magicans only quality to it.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks Martyn!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
It is now available here!
http://www.lybrary.com/inventions-p-107619.html

Any questions, please PM me!

Kyle Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Get yourself a break, Kyle - we don't want you to be the youngest victim of an heart attack!
At least 3 hours sleep are recommend by any serious physician...
:)
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Haha, I will be up for a while publicising this Ebook! xD

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks for all the support thus far, keep it goin'! Smile

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Here's the Ad Copy:

Kyle MacNeill’s 10th Ebook is Inventions, and it contains 7 tried and tested effects, a colour change created by Kyle MacNeill and Cameron Francis, and a troubleshooting method – a completely new take on the Impromptu Invisible deck plot.

"Kyle is on a roll. As reviewed above, Inventions contains seven well constructed card effects. I also like his cartoons at the start!" - Peter Duffie
"Kyle's best ebook yet!" - Cameron Francis

The contents:

Tricks

1. Transmogrify V.2.0
A three phase transposition effect, which is very simple and very effective. Completely impromptu and perfect for strolling.

2. Biddle Revisited!
The classic Biddle trick – on steroids. A Biddle trick where the cards in the spectator’s hands not only vanish, but change into the mates of the selection.

3. Spectator Does the Sandwich!
A completely hands off sandwich effect, with a great kicker ending.

4. Lucky! V.2.0
A trick based around the theme of luck, that KILLS.

5. Cluster Kings
A super visual version of the KickBack Kings/ Royale with Cheese plot, that is impromptu and easy to do.

6. He’s Hof again!
A visual and simple take on the Hofzinser Ace problem plot, that is visual and elegant.

7. Neutrons
A miniature version of card – thru – window, using the cellophane! Uses the ‘VICTOR – Y change’!

Moves

1. The VICTOR – Y Change
A super visual card – in – cellophane change, created by Kyle MacNeill and Cameron Francis.

Troubleshooting

1. IID
A completely new idea for a kickass impromptu invisible deck.

The Ebook also contains several pages of in–depth crediting on the Hofzinser Aces plot for ‘He’s Hof Again’, cartoons to introduce the Ebook, an essay on creativity, and video demos for all the tricks and moves except for ‘Spectator does the Sandwich’.

1st edition 2011; 29 pages.

--------------------------------------

Best wishes,

Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Kyle MacNeil's Inventions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL