The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2011 entrée: Tom Gagnon » » Magician with bad hands? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Tom,

First off, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to spend a week with us! It is always an honor to have a working pro such as yourself devote time to help develop our craft.

Now, as to my question:

I have a condition in my hands (both of them) called Dupytren's Contracture. It causes the facia of the palms to shrink and stiffen. This causes (typically) the pinky and ring fingers to curl in toward the palms over time. In addition, the pinky of my dominant (left) hand is also numb.

This of course causes doing moves such as a pinky break to be difficult, since I cannot always tell (without looking down) whether or not I have the break. The Contracture also makes it difficult to palm cards or other larger objects.

Are there any card move that you can suggest which might enable me to move away from having to use strictly gaffed cards and Elmsley Counts? Or, should I stick with gaffed packet tricks and other self-working items?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
275 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
Hi Mike,

First, I am sorry to hear about your affliction. Interestingly, I too suffer from neuropathy of the hands—a condition that I have lived with for the past six years. However, as you can see it hasn’t slowed me down. I have two suggestions. First, to strengthen your hands—I suggest that you purchase a small rubber ball, and to squeeze the ball (within moderation) several times a day. That’s what I do to help maintain my agility. I have rubber balls laying all over the house. It may take you a couple of months before you notice the difference, but believe me—it’s well worth the effort.

Secondly, I suggest that you practice different sleights, controls, and routines. All you need to do is find your comfort zone as to what sleights work best for you. As you well know, there are a zillion methods for accomplishing the same thing. All you need to do is to find the ones’ that work for you. Yes, it will take some time and effort on your part. As far as gaffed cards and packet tricks are concerned— they encompass some of the best that card magic has to offer. As you may already now, most close-up workers like to mix and match self working routines, with sleight orientated routines. In fact, that’s how I perform for layman. So don’t get discouraged. You simply need to adapt. For example, instead of resorting to using a one-handed top palm, try using a Gambler’s Cop. It’s simply trial and error.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thank you very much, Tom. Which of your books do you think might be best suited for me? I am primarily a stage magician, and have just branched out into school/children's magic as well. I am also considering some restaurant walk-around gigs.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
The old saying "success comes in cans, failure comes in cannots" applies. For that might think that hands are all there is, consider René Lavand. The guy with a pair of so-called "bad hands" doesn't have a huge lot to gripe about. For the guy with a sore back or stiff legs, consider Brother John Hamman.

What Mr. Gagnon is not spilling is that his incredible skill with donuts and peanut butter has kept his mind off of the more trival matters. Better magic through the French cruller is a Gagnon specialty.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOL, Randy.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had Dupytren's Contracture in both hands. Both corrected with surgery. If it bothers you see a hand surgeon. The earlier the better.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have spoken to my doctor, Pete (the one who diagnosed it). He said it was best to wait as long as possible, because if you do the surgery too early, it will likely come back. Am I to assume that this is NOT the case with you? If so, I might look at it.

My hands aren't real bad yet, but I find it difficult to palm a card, or a coin in the classic position (I can finger palm a coin). Much manipulation is difficult because of the stiffness and lack of range of movement that comes with the disease.

Plus, the photos I have seen of the surgery looked as brutal as hell.

Please share with me your experiences!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Pete Biro is a "special case" . . . Ben Martin warned me about Pete years ago. Maybe one day "Pistol Pete, the San Franciso Treat" or whatever the frog was called will return? Following in the Biro footsteps can be dangerous, wake up the next day and you might be a wold-class photographer on the F1 circuit. It can happen.

Of course Mike Rogers always warned everyone about Pete as well, but to no avail. Pete warned folks about Mike, so it all worked out. Great to see you, Pete, in an electronic pixel type of way at least.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2011 entrée: Tom Gagnon » » Magician with bad hands? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL