The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2011 entrée: Gregory Wilson » » Stage versus close up » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Hi Greg!
You say you work stage more these days.
Does this affect your style and attitude? How?

I am asking because you have a rather fast paced and intense way of doing close up magic.

Do you transfer this to the stage where the crowd is much bigger and the magic goes on for longer?

Do you experience what you need to change your ways of performing and do you choose other ways to structure your magic when selecting your material?
"There is no reality, only perception."
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
On this same subject Greg, which do you enjoy performing more, Stage or Close-up?
Gregory Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
87 Posts

Profile of Gregory Wilson
There are rewards for both: I like the intimacy and direct connection with close-up. But LOVE the roar of a large audience enjoying the comedy and mystery all at the same time.

But the latter did NOT come easy - especially since I strive to be original in everything that I do. If you perform the classics, that's perfectly fine, especially if you bring something personal to the bank. But, if you start from scratch and try to narrow your material selection based on your character, not so easy. I go by The Honest Con Man and therefore don't do any "tricks" in the eyes of the audience. It's all about a "criminal act" with pick-pocketing, card-sharking, short-changing and mental manipulation. That's a very strict criteria to originate and evolve. And, of course, I'm still learning, growing and improving! Not so sure we ever really arrive.

As far as my close-up vs. stand-up persona, it's EXACTLY the same as I'm really just being me. And, that's probably one reason why I never get nervous - me and my material are inextricably woven together.

Did I catch myself rambling there? Hope that helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2011 entrée: Gregory Wilson » » Stage versus close up » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL