The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » In the hands "Card Stab" routine. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I was recently reviewing Lonnie Cheverie's "Wanted" DVD and came across his "A Stab in the Dark" card stab routine. This is a "in the hands" card stab effect. So, I decided to give it a try and went ahead and put together the necessary items. The routine uses a P.E.P. Deck. envelope and a sword letter opener. I substituted the envelope for bar napkins and I use a stelletto knife instead of the sword letter opener. I refer to the knife as my magic wand.

It worked like a charm and is very easy to perform and well received. However, I'm the type of guy that likes to have selected cards signed as I like to give them out as a momento of the occasion. Using a P.E.P. Deck does not allow me to hand out the selected card.

So, I'm now looking for other in the hands card stab routines. However, I'm only looking for the routines that would allow the signing of the selected card. I have used Don Alan's and Bill Abbott's card stab routines in the past, but I would like to stay away from paper bags. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
You have reminded me of a very old (very easy to do almost self working card stab effect...Essentially you take Oh, I don't know 2/3rds of the deck, glue the cards together, ask someone to pick a card sort of forcing them to pick from one of the loose cards of course...control their card to the top of the solid (glued together portion) with the other loose cards on top...thrust a fork or knife (thinking table magic here) into the deck) of course the knife or fork will stop at the glued portion with the spectators card at the face...yes, they can sign it beforehand...got the idea?
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
See Dick Koornwinder's Smart Scissors in Lorayne's Apocalypse, bound version Volumes 6-10, pp. 1132-1133. Once familiar with this method, several ideas should come to mind.

@obsidian52: In the method you cite, you only need to prepare about a dozen cards...2/3rds of the deck is way too many.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's one that's a little different that I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQrtAMWdxUw

And here's one that Richard Sanders has that's pretty cool.
http://wizard-headquarters.amazonwebstor......5CI8.htm
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Once in a Knifetime by Garcia is very clever and uses no gimmicks. It might be on a Stars of Magic dvd, but definitely in an
early book of his.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Roberto Giobbi has a good version in his latest "Secret Agenda". It's called "March 17 - Give it a stab" and it's on page 86. Easy to do. I am about to start practising and rehearsing for an act I am going to perform on New Year's Eve at a private club!

mlippo
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
THere's also The WGm DVD on the Card Stab.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
thelearner
View Profile
Regular user
Bournemouth, UK
187 Posts

Profile of thelearner
Apologies if it's not what you're looking for, but I always get a great reaction from Harry Lorayne's 'Stab Two'. Two cards are selected and returned to the pack, shuffled covered by hanky/tissue etc and then you stab between the two cards. It's in L:TCC. It's so simple, but people love it.

All the best.

Tim
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
In addition to the above, and as Denny Haney would say: "It's in Tarbell!"

In fact there is a whole chapter devoted to this plot in I BELIEVE volume 5 of the hard back Tannen's/EZ Magic edition.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Thanks bblumen....I havent done it in years so I had forgotten...I'm guessing it still plays fairly well..its extremely easy to do, almost laughingly easy...
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I wrote a version for Joe Riding's Newsletter about 10 years ago. It was an age old idea - originally my Father bought it from Max Andrews in the 1940's. The small gimmick required was something that we've all thrown away countless times in our lives - whenever we've bought a new shirt!? Smile No doubt the ingenious method will find itself on a one trick DVD at some stage.

'The Encore Card Stab' by Al Koran is also worth checking out. Irrespective of the method (it doesn't use a gimmick) the most important thing in Al's version is THE FINAL DISPLAY. There is just a little something taught within the way Al PRESENTED this effect that takes a card stab from 'just another card trick' into being a sensational piece of magic.

This trick was what Al Koran often stopped and performed during his many curtain calls - hence the title. I think that really says it all.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Check out the Amazing Guy dvd by Thom Peterson

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S88

There is a card stab on there that is dead easy to do and always impresses an audience.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Wow! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
John Kennedy marketed an in the hands card stab using a pen knife. Very clever.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On 2011-11-12 07:15, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Check out the Amazing Guy dvd by Thom Peterson

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S88

There is a card stab on there that is dead easy to do and always impresses an audience.

Same method as mention at the start of the topic. However, I do like Thom's presentation better.

I would look into Daryl's handling of the Boston Card Stab.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » In the hands "Card Stab" routine. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL