The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Bannon in Magic Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
MAGIC February issue has four tricks by John Bannon in his Dear Mr. Fantasy style. I picked it up on the swish new iPad app that Magic have, and it was pretty cheap! Here’s what John says on his website...

“A change in pace for MAGIC, there is no “story.” Instead, there are four previously unpublished tricks (3 card + 1 mental coin tricks) written in the narrative form I used in Dear Mister Fantasy: Chronic—a very unusual and iconoclastic “clock” trick. This one breaks all the rules. Buf’d—a transposition with a re-transposition. Did it reverse, backfire or ricochet? Easy to do. Origami Poker Revisited—you gotta’ know how to fold ‘em. A surprise Royal Flush with a twist. Completely—no, totally—self-working. Ion Man—no negativity here, but a practical streamlined handling for Max Maven’s “Positive Negative” plot. Imaginarily choose any coin and flip it. We knew it all along. Twelve magic-packed pages and a sidebar by my buddy Raj Madhok. Go ‘All In.’”

All the tricks are awesome, but Buf'd is, as they say, 'worth the price of the book!'

Anyone else checked this out?

Liam.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I don't have a subscription, but I *have* to get this issue. When I read that four Bannon tricks were going to be in the February Magic, I added an issue of Magic to my next order from Magic Warehouse...but I didn't pay attention to the month I was getting, so I ended up with the January issue. I'll have to make some excuse to buy something else soon, so I can tack the February issue on. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
I'm a card carrying Bannon fan, so it was a no-brainer, but you really owe it to yourself to pick this issue up, the clock trick is very cheeky thinking, and uses non of the usual ploys, and includes an un-published Simon Aronson move that I'm sure will see the light of day in lots of ways. The transposition is amazing, so economical and discrepant yet you get a lot of magic with very little effort.

Origami Poker is an extension of John's work on the Dudeney fold but as he says self-working and super fooling. Lastly we have his take on Positive Negative, almost similar to Dave Forrest's version but it takes a trade mark Bannon swerve at last minute to come up with a method that will make you smile!
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Bannon in Magic Magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL