The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Dry hands/ invisible deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I always have trouble working my invisible deck in the winter. I work outside and my hands get very dry and standard lotion at night doesn't seem to help. Am I going to have to lotion up right before I use the deck or just give up til summer
Anyone else have this issue? Any product recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Brian
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of 55john55
Have you tried "Sortquick"? I have seen bank tellers use it to count money, and I have used it for years. I have a lot of trouble in the summer as well as winter, but with this product I don't have much trouble at all. I assume it is available in any store that sells office supplies, and Amazon carries it as well.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Brian,

This is a common issue for those of us with dry hands. Don't know your working situation but for me using Golden touch lotion or Corn Huskers lotion works well for me. In situations where I'm performing without any treatment, pick up a cold drink (soda, beer, etc) and the condensation from the can/bottle will give you enough moisture so that you can easily spread the cards properly. Warning: if you are used to dry hands and get your hands moist you might find that the cards spread TOO EASILY. Practice the moves with differing levels of moisture in your hands so you can get a feel for how to spread them.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Why not try giving your fingers a lick just before the spread? I know this might not suit your style but you could try making it an 'exagerated' lick in a way that shows you are about to perform a miracle. It works for me!
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Thanks for the tips!
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Roughing fluid??

Sorry...
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Something I learned about here on the Café that works for me is O'keefe's working hands cream. It helps my hands get a better grip for both card and coin work. You can by it on online, and I've seen it in Walgreens and Home Depot.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I also use O'keefe's working hands cream.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Hi,

I am NOT a doctor...But, I can tell you from personal experience that taking 4,000mg - 6,000mg of Omega-3 fish oil every day for about 4-5 months will make you hands and skin feel like new.

I took 2 * 1,200 mg capsules 3x per day for 4 months and I started to notice a difference.

Now, I maintain my skin by taking 2,200mg twice per day = about 4,000mg

It made a noticeable difference.

As I said, I am not a doctor or nutritionist....so, I am just telling you what I found my researching the Internet and I dried it...ir works if you do it for 4-5 months.

NOTE: Drinking a lot of water can't hurt either (I drink at least 36 ounces per day).

Good luck with your hands.
Long Island,

New York
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I use SortQuick which is available at Staples or most office supply stores. I put a small amount behind my ear lobe and simply touch my ear prior to performing with the Invisible Deck. A small amount is good for the evening.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I always lick my thumb and rub it against my middle finger before I "push off" an ID.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I have the same problem using dry hands with an ID.
I found almost any lotion/creme will work.
However not for long.
Some are greasy which will get on the cards.

Ihor
Ihor
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Corn Huskers has always worked for me, and I use a slick PVC deck. I've been using the same deck for almost 20 years.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
If you rough the deck in the middle of the card, leaving about 1/4" or 1/8" un-roughed on the top and the bottom the cards are a lot easier to separate. Pressure on the middle of the cards keeps them together, pressure on the ends of the cards as you go to separate makes them separate much smoother.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I love Golden Touch Lotion. It was the choice of Dai Vernon. I like to put it on about ten minutes before a show or before a practice session. I was having a very hard time mastering the One-Hand Top Palm until I used a little Golden Touch.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I posted in a thread that has long since dropped into oblivion that I use a “tack cloth” from the wood working section of any hardware store. I briefly pick up the “towel”, drop it, and quickly rub the pads of my thumbs over my finger pads. At this point I could palm a watermelon.

Several performers (including Harry Lorayne) use a towel, and the audience just accepts it as one of those “performer things”. They most likely think you’re drying your hands.

None of the glycerin, alcohol, beeswax, corn husker’s anything works for me. It’s got to be the tack cloth or I’ll have to lick my fingers (and people DO notice that!)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've never heard of tack cloth. I'll have to take a look at one. Thanks for the heads-up.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MAGIC325
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of MAGIC325
Maybe a dab of glue stick on your fingers to get them tacky.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Dry hands/ invisible deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL