The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Roughing with Krylon Matte (w. video) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi guys,

I haven't had much success with the krylon matte finish 1311 to rough up some cards.

I have posted a video here:

link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrzLkvBXI2s

Maybe someone can advice me on what I am doing wrong?

After half an hour- to an hour the cards just get a weird finish on them (not rough at all)

Best,

Ricky
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Ricky,
I'm certainly *not* an expert, but here's what I've found so far: I seem to need multiple light coats to achieve a good roughing effect. My 'light coat' is a good deal more than what you're using in your video. Of course, it's very easy to go too far; you don't want to drench a card, either. -)

You might try experimenting with a slightly longer 'spritz', let dry thoroughly, test cards, and repeat as necessary.

Some folks seem to have good success with a very light coat; I'm just mentioning my experience so far. Your Mileage May Vary. -)

Larry S.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrzLkvBXI2s

I apply the Krylon as if painting a flat surface, not by spritzing but by making a smooth pass over the surface (from 12 - 16 inches). Spritzing is hit or miss. You are not trying to make the cards sticky, just roughing up the surface. It is possible you might have a bad can of the spray.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Rpascual

Sent a PM
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Maybe you just need to wait longer...Smile
viler
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
186 Posts

Profile of viler
"Roughed by Craig Petty" which can be seen for free here http://88.208.208.169/default.asp (you need to register)
shows how to spray the cards and several tricks you can do with R&S treated cards.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
While the spray works, I have to admit I still prefer the old method using liquid and a cotton ball.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the fast and insightful feedbacks. In addition, thanks for the links.

I realized I was being a bit meager with my spraying and I had to, quoting Stanyon, apply the spray: "as if painting a flat surface, not by spritzing."

I've been having a much rougher card back, but it's not to the point of perfection. I think I need a couple of more "light coats" as Larry mentioned.

Thanks for all your help. I'll leave the video up so people can see whatnot to do Smile.

Ricky
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
That was not the way to do it. Spritzing often causes droplets to form and results in uneven coverage.

You needs to spread out all of the cards that you'll be treating on the newspaper and do a continuous mist coat. Start the spray on newspaper, so you won't get uneven spray on the first card. You'll probably need three mist coats. These coats are so light that you'll be tempted to spray some more - don't do it. You'll get runs and drips if you overspray at all. Allow the cards to dry between coats.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 13:11, Alan Munro wrote:
That was not the way to do it. Spritzing often causes droplets to form and results in uneven coverage.

You needs to spread out all of the cards that you'll be treating on the newspaper and do a continuous mist coat. Start the spray on newspaper, so you won't get uneven spray on the first card. You'll probably need three mist coats. These coats are so light that you'll be tempted to spray some more - don't do it. You'll get runs and drips if you overspray at all. Allow the cards to dry between coats.

Three coats + hairdryer did the trick. I made my first invisible deck + brainwave ( in the process) and monkey in the middle gaffs.

Thanks for the tip. In addition, I remember you mentioning something (I'm pretty sure it was you!) about producing some good quality invisible decks. How's the project going?
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Rpascual
Glad it worked out for you. It's nice to be able to make your own effects, eh?

You might look here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
for Chris Henderson's take on a card holder made for mass-roughing cards. Ingenious!

Alan - excellent advice!

Larry S.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 14:59, Rpascual wrote:
I remember you mentioning something (I'm pretty sure it was you!) about producing some good quality invisible decks. How's the project going?

I'm just waiting for a spot in my schedule. I'm not sure how much demand there is, so some projects are a higher priority. The decks that I've seen at magic shops are horrible, so I'm sure there's a little demand for a deck that works properly, right out of the box.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 01:36, motown wrote:
While the spray works, I have to admit I still prefer the old method using liquid and a cotton ball.

I've got one of that, but it's hard to even the liquid. Any tips?

It could be a little less messy as you can even do it on the dining table while spraying has to be done outdoor or in the open space.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
andyhurst
View Profile
New user
Somerset, UK
64 Posts

Profile of andyhurst
I rarely spray cards now since discovering the Finn John roughing stick.

Andy
Andy Hurst
----------
http://www.andyhurstmagic.com/
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Quote:
On 2012-03-17 16:24, andyhurst wrote:
I rarely spray cards now since discovering the Finn John roughing stick.

Andy

I own one of those too, but sometimes I don't like the white marks it leaves. In addition, in case the card should/ will be examined.
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
119 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
Try using Testors all Purpose dull Coat. Its the same spray you receive when you order roughing spray from any magic dealer. Its what I use with great success. Hope this helps.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I assume "Testors" is the brand?

It's hard to find such brand such as Krylon in here. They have local brands which I doubt its quality.

How about the stick? Where can I get it?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
52.5 Lemons
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of 52.5 Lemons
Quote:
On 2012-03-19 21:33, Failed Magician wrote:
I assume "Testors" is the brand?

It's hard to find such brand such as Krylon in here. They have local brands which I doubt its quality.

How about the stick? Where can I get it?

The Krylon Matte Finish 1311 can be bought at Walmart for about 4 dollars and Amazon for sure. I'm sure other options are available not on the internet.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I would suggest this-
http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=111525

Works great!

Mike
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 13:11, Alan Munro wrote:

As Alan says this is probably the best way to do it. Especially starting ahead of the first card so you don't get an uneven spray. My preference is Testers Dullcote altho I'm sure Krylon works just as well.
Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Roughing with Krylon Matte (w. video) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL