The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » Direction? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Josh,
looking back over the years and where your magic once was, what direction do you now see your magic going?
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hi Steve,
I’ve saved your excellent question until now, when I can answer it fully. But before that, I’d like to thank you publicly for giving me the chance to be the guest here at the magic café. Hope to see you again soon! Oh, and remind me to share my thoughts with you and the board about your effect (which you gave me last time we spoke)—I don’t remember the name but it involves a card box…

Anyway…

I was working in a walk-around setting consistently through middle and high school. As I’ve alluded to in my writing (book, column, and here), this was my testing ground—a place to work out material and practice in front of real people. But slowly, it lost its luster. I no longer got the same thrill performing for people—so I stopped.

I started daydreaming. What would be the perfect venue? What would my “dream show” be? How long? What type of material? I started writing a one-man show—I wrote it without consideration for cost or convenience. I only wrote exactly what I saw in my head.

Because I wrote the show without a deadline, it was a slow, sometimes unmotivated process—but that’s a good thing sometimes. I only sat down to write when I was inspired or had an idea I was sure I liked. I rewrote the thing ten times and then scrapped the whole thing because I didn’t like the direction it was taking. But finally…I got something I liked. Again, because the show was written over a long period of time, I also had time to work out different pieces or “acts” as I called them, along the way. I could have pieces of the show built or rehearsed, always with the intention of connecting them in the big show one day.

That day came last summer, a little more than a year ago. I debuted the show in my hometown and did a few weekend runs (five shows a weekend). The show was 45 minutes, then a fifteen minute break, then another half hour. It was all “formal” close-up—that is, with a table, audience seated in a theater setup, all angles controlled, full lighting and curtains, several routines to music, etc.

It was the most amazing experience—people came to see ME do magic, so they were in the mood. No more interruptions tableside; these people wanted to see a show. I did a memorization piece, a mentalism bit, a “romantic” thing to music, and lots of card material—I even featured Simon Aronson’s Side Swiped in the show, using (basically) his presentation of doing “The World’s Greatest Card Trick.” For my thoughts on this trick and the one man show, check out my column intro on that topic (once again, so sorry—I feel naked without my library here to cite exact sources for everyone). Anyway, we can talk more about the show if there is interest, especially if there are magicians here that have seen me do it.

Josh
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Where do you usually perform this show? I have heard you talk about it several times, but have never seen you do it. I'd be very interested in learning more this show. It sounds great!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
It's my pleasure Josh and I too look forward to seeing you again. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Well, I'm back in school for the year, so I have nothing scheduled until next summer in my home town of Canton, Ohio. This was the theater I debuted in, and it has been the best venue so far. Plus, I spent the last year away from home, so I want to spend next summer AT home. Waking up in a different hotel room every morning gets old fast.

I know Canton is a far drive from Spokane, Dave. After all, I made that drive this summer!

Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » Direction? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL