The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NFW -Still what a trick! (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
During this unfortunate covid hiatus, I pulled out my old NFW set. In spite of a little memory lapse, I eventually remembered it, and delighted myself once more. I especially liked the handling shown a few years back, where the spectators cover their face down cards (which they believe are jokers). So simple and yet so astonishing. Lynn
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yep..."Still, what a trick!" 😉

And after all this time, I still highly recommend this wonderful packet trick.

Give it a whirl, and see for yourself. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, lynnef wrote:
During this unfortunate covid hiatus, I pulled out my old NFW set. In spite of a little memory lapse, I eventually remembered it, and delighted myself once more. I especially liked the handling shown a few years back, where the spectators cover their face down cards (which they believe are jokers). So simple and yet so astonishing. Lynn

LOL I did the same and realized it is now going into my full set! It is that good!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2012, Mb217 wrote:
I have had NFW for many, many years. I have done it a lot and have put it away time and again, but always to come back to it. Why, I ask myself every time I pick it back up. Because it is simply just the perfect little packet trick. Of course there are hordes of other gems out there and to each his own as to what they like but this little trick was an absolutely stroke of genius by Gary Freed, IMHO.

The effect is compact and so easy to do but always amazing to specs. You can do it a couple of different ways but any way you do it will make people's eyes POP! It doesn't take much to do it but a few basic enough moves in card magic. It all allows you to presents it in the most interesting of all ways, as an absolutely impossible slo-mo change of 4 face-up Jokers to all face-down and then a most miraculous finale in a change to 4 Aces. This is so simplistically beautiful. And if it was the only card trick you ever did, people would surely remember you always for it. Smile

Time after time, I have come to realize again and again that this is just an amazing card trick. I have tried many, with gaffs and with regular cards and there are many that are quite good and worth the effort to know and present, but NFW is just so clean IMHO and so instantly amazing that I find it hard to beat. And I'm a guy that also loves beauties like Double Back, B'wave and Dr. Daley's Last Trick. All monsters as packet tricks go and there are admittedly other noteworthies but having come back to NFW yet again in my life (And I'm more of a coin guy really), I totally get it now. It's just the best. Smile So cleverly done with not all that confusing twisting and turning going on. It's clear and direct, the perfect follow-along for the specs. It's not too long and or over-engaging but just enough to lure you in, take you to the top of the the tallest building and drop you off like a rollercoaster as to such sudden amazement. Smile

Just love this trick, still after all these years. What do you guys think? Smile

MB started this thread in 2012. almost 10 yrs later this thread is still relevant. This is greater than any "Magic Shop" review.
Wizuriel
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Wizuriel
Just curious what people do after nfw if doing a routine? Do you swap the cards and do another ace trick, use the DS and keep going with the same cards, just put it away and go in a different direction or something else?
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Wizuriel wrote:
Just curious what people do after nfw if doing a routine? Do you swap the cards and do another ace trick, use the DS and keep going with the same cards, just put it away and go in a different direction or something else?

I usually follow it with Dr. Daley's last trick. The right cards are left in their hands and the heat is off yours. Nice 1-2 punch.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I have always loved NFW.. and it fries everytime.. Richard Sanders has a GREAT effect out as well - same premise.. called ACE.
Check it out
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2022, Koolmagic114 wrote:
Richard Sanders has a GREAT effect out as well - same premise.. called ACE. Check it out

Here's what I wrote in my detailed review of NFW, which included these comments about how NFW compares with ACE:

Some time after the release of NFW, in 2004 Richard Sanders released a video entitled Super Cards, which included a routine that used virtually the same gaffs as NFW, but a totally different handling and feel. It was entitled "4 Card Crunch", and was later marketed separately in a more polished version as "ACE". Meanwhile in 2014 Penguin Magic had acquired Elmwood Magic, the company that originally distributed NFW. Having thus purchased the rights to the NFW effect and the gimmick, they went on to produce several video tutorials that offered a somewhat similar presentation to ACE, and which focused entirely on the transformation. The first of these was the updated handling by Nick Locapo. Subsequently in 2015 Rick Lax published an even more smooth handling that used the same gimmick and a similar presentation, which Penguin Magic presented under the new name "No Joke". The result of this updated version feels quite different from the original NFW, because it uses a very different method, and can be done in the spectator's hands. In this version, you simply show the four face-up Jokers, and go right into showing them has changing into the four Aces.

Richard Sanders' ACE is indeed the most similar effect to NFW, and you'll find advocates for both routines. NFW did come out well before ACE, and when ACE was released it was praised for having a better handling of very similar gaffs because the magic could be done in the spectator's hands. While having the same cards, the gimmick works slightly differently (so you can't do the routine for NFW with it), and it has a different method that relies on lifts rather than the Elmsley Count. Some have argued that ACE made NFW obsolete, but courtesy of Rick Lax's new handling ("No Joke"), we can now do an in-the-hands version of NFW too, and this produces a very similar effect to ACE. So if you prefer a more direct approach that moves more quickly to the transformation and avoids the need for the Elmsley Count, you'll like the Rick Lax approach. The nice thing is that buyers of NFW get multiple tutorial videos, so you can choose to use the original handling or the updated handling that gives NFW a more direct in-the-hands transformation feel. The gimmick for NFW is also more easy to replace than the one for ACE.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I've been carrying this since around 2005. I carry it in my briefcase and it is one of my go-tos when I need something quick that packs a punch. This still does it. It has withstood the test of time. Minimal effort with maximum impact. Such a fun routine.
Paul24243
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Paul24243
I always use the no joke version now. Although the original is good, the new routine just looks so much more impressive.
Merlin73
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Merlin73
I’m a big fan of Richard Sanders and his Ace variation is great. I believe his new Blackpool release king Con is another variation.
If you do child’s play by Chris Congreave ( you should ) it would be a great addition.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NFW -Still what a trick! (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL