The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Murder Inc. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I've actually had kids scream they could see the modus operandi and they were about 8 to 10 feet away.

I wish I didn't buy it, like I said it just collects dust, but makes a great conversation piece if placed in the middle of the coffee table.

Just imagine all the other useless junk I coulda bought instead of Murder Inc.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
For my next show, I will borrow my friend's Mak Magic Dagger chest. I am doing a corporate show at the Ritz Calrton, in one of their smaller rooms.

The audience will be about 60 guests, sitting at round tables in from of a 12 inch high platform stage.

The nearest spectators will be about 6 feet from the front edge of the stage. My concern is that those sitting in the front row might see the mirrors when the box is opened up. I will visit the show site and test out the effect under show type lighting (two 500 watt floods, at 45 degrees).

Has anyone ever seen or performed the head dagger chest in such relatively close-up conditions? If so, are the mirrors apparent to the audience?

As Johnny Mystic pointed out, the effect doesn't seem to "fool" younger audiences, and I have a hard time believing that adult audiences will be amazed (stunned) by the vanished head phase of the routine --especially at close range. Still, I can imagine having lots of interactive fun with this effect, since my style is silent-comedy with music (gentleman persona with a mischievous streak).

I may even call up a second volunteer from the audience to help me thrust one or two of the blades into the box.

I believe though that I will have to carefully choose and prep (on stage whispers)my main volunteer to ensure that they are not upset by the "closed in" feeling of the box.

I am using this effect to replace my Buzz Saw thru the neck comedy-illusion, since this is a repeat client and the Dagger Chest will be my grand finale.

More comments, insights and perspectives are welcome at this point.

Many thanks.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
According to "the Trickery" (on-line store) Mak Magic has stopped making their Murder inc. Head Dagger Chest illusion altogether.

Instead, The Trickery offers a wooden Dagger Chest on their site at $225. Unfortunately, there are no photos yet on this new Chest, just a hand drawing.
Here is the Trickery's link to their replacement item:
http://www.thetrickery.com/?key=1099&nd=faqlist

Can anyone confirm that Mak Magic's Head Dagger Chest Illusion is completely (and forever) off the market?

I have sent an e-mail into Mak Magic but have received no response to date.

Many thanks.
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have borrowed the Mak Magic Head Dagger Chest Illusion from a friend but unfortunately, he had no documents with insructions or suggestions for presentation or routining.

I realize it's pretty self-explicit, but I would still value having a set of instructions for reference as I figure out the best way to assemble and present this effect.

Should anyone have the original instructions and routine for MAK Magic's Head Dagger Chest, I would greatly appreciate receiving a copy.

Let me know by PM and I will send you my mailing address since it is unlikely that an electronic version of this effect is available for sending.

I've tried contacting Mak Magic via their site and to date have received no response.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Jonathan, I sent you a PM with the outline of a routine. Have fun!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks Harry.

It was very kind of you to take the time and thought to send this to me.

Joanthan
Jonathan
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
If anyone is still interested in buying an original Murder, Inc; I'm selling mine. PM me
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
I built a dagger head chest many years ago from the old Abbott's plans. I always disliked the way the box wobbled around on someone's head and so built a hinged three sided screen on a base for it to sit on so that it looks a bit like a 'Heads Off' illusion now. I also made my own daggers out of 1 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick aluminium flatbar with half round wood moulding for handles...simple but effective.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What I have done is not use the stand for Murder Inc. I just place it on the persons head, and it rests nicely on their shoulders. I have them sitting on a chair. The nice thing about this way of doing it is that for wide spread theaters, you can have the person turn the box left and right, so the whole audience can see the inside of the box.

What I do for comedy is have the person do the opposite of what I ask, I say, turn to the right and they turn to the left, and visa versa.

I have used a person at an show, with minimal instructions before the show. It went very well.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Someone mentioned Arrowhead - and I have one. It has a lot of the same flaws as Murder. It's fairly deceptive, but you can only use it on someone with a small head. I also found that the gimmick works best if you manipulate your head in a certain way, which requires an assistant and not a volunteer. I've substituted the sword through neck, and this seems to play really well. Jim
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I just posted a new presentation I'm working on for this in the Secret Sessions. I put it there so people could freely discuss any issues relating to the workings or handling. Here's the link to my pics of the updated design.

http://dunravenmagic.com/sword-chamber-1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Murder Inc. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL