The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango Coin Glue Removal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sysreq
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of sysreq
Hi,

I have a shimmed [ from tango and I want to remove the shim which looks like if is just glued in. Does any one know the least destructive way to remove this. I saw some suggestions about heating it, but I'm concerned that if I overdo if I might warp the [. has anyone had any success with any solvents?

Thanks
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
If Mr Tango uses superglue, and I do know not if he does...
Acetone solvent dissolves/debonds cyanoacrylate ie super glue.

You should email Mr Tango at his website or pm him here on the forums for a correct answer.

or do a search on the forums for your answer.

Welcome and have fun.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Finger nail polish remover, basically acetone will do the trick. (No pun intended!)

You mill have to let it soak for a while, or repeat the application a few times for it to be effective.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
If the glue is the same as he uses in his Flipper, it wil become soft and removable when you heat it.
I suppose it is 2-component glue (epoxy).
You could use a lighter or a heating plate in the kitchen.
Don't use a candle. It makes everything black.

And if it is magnetic, the heat wil weaken its power.
Be prepared to remove some residual glue mechanically.

Troels
sysreq
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of sysreq
Thanks Trolle,
Heat did it, and a light sand inside the shell to remove the remaining glue.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Just a reference point guys.

ALL Tango Gaffed Coins are supplied with a truly wonderful DVD these days called the Tangopedia of Gaffed Coins. This is an instructional DVD outlining a multitude of effects with a range of various gaffed coins. It runs for a few hours and took Marcelo Insua (Mr. Tango) a year to produce. Check with your dealer as, if they have older stock, the DVD may not be included.

However, also upon the DVD, Mr. Tango clearly outlines a few maintenance tips around the total re-banding process for Flipper Coins and his Internal Folders.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2012-05-08 06:05, Merc Man wrote:
ALL Tango Gaffed Coins are supplied with a truly wonderful DVD these days called the Tangopedia of Gaffed Coins.

Isn't that all EXCEPT the TUC? (which comes with its own, but different DVD)
mysterious_guy
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of mysterious_guy
I'm having the same problem - trying to remove the shim from the shell. It seems pretty stuck in there - I've tried heating it with a lighter and soaking it in acetone, both with no luck, I can't even get it to the point where I can wedge anything underneath it to try and pry it out. Not sure there's much else I can try?
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
I know this topic is quite old, but I've been checking it to see if anyone has answered the last question. Is there a way to remove the shim from a Tango [ without damaging it? I've tried a lighter, I've tried nail polish remover, I tried a really thin screwdriver, etc.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Nevermind, I figured it out on my own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango Coin Glue Removal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL