The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Wedding Reception (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Hi all,
I have a potential wedding reception gig coming up in September, and I would like to ask for anyone who has done weddings before to share any thoughts you have regarding a performance of this type? It is strolling magic during the cocktail hour. I received the call about the booking from a man who saw me do strolling magic at his company Christmas party a couple of years ago, and the wedding is for his daughter. My question is not related to the magic aspect, as I know what tricks I'll be doing. I've been performing for 20 years, but most of my work has been standup/platform magic. I have done enough close up over the years to have a good set, and have been hired for a few strolling gigs over the years, but never a wedding. So the advice I seek is more related to the logistics of working a wedding reception, as this is not something I have done before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Jeff
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
You are moving from table to table like a restaurant gig. The people just have nicer clothes and are drunk.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Tables are not a given, as the cocktail portion of this reception may be in an area apart from the main dining room. If this is before dinner, that's always a possibility. Call the client and verify that info.

If you are working the early part of the event, it is also less likely you'll be dealing with drunks. Of course, that will depend a lot on the guest list too.

In general though, I think you'd be safe doing what the client saw you do at his company Christmas party. After all, isn't that what he hired you based upon?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Another factor is that you will probably have a much broader age range than at a corporate function - from young children to very old. I always carry a few 'giveaways' such as 1" spongeballs. This can get the kids talking about you (happy kids = happy parents) and by teaching them a simple 'move', will keep them busy. Its definitely good to have a few methods to avoid becoming a 'pied piper'.

Probably stating the obvious here, but expect the guests to have drink in one hand, canape / bag in the other.

I have to say, I really enjoy working such events.

Good luck
Charlie
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
I wouldn't worry. Weddings are the easiest of all gigs. Everyone is in a good mood and ready for a good time and the free drinks really help. I actually find most weddings have only very few kids, but its a good idea to bring a few balloons along to make for them you will look like a nice guy and everybody will instantly love you!

In a bigger wedding you will always find that guy that knows a card trick and he will want to show it after a few drinks my advice give him the cards take a seat and cheer him along while the group laughs and moans at him again they will feel like they connect with you more than any magic trick you could ever do.

Chris
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Learn Anniversary Waltz for the bride & groom.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi jkvand

I whole heartily agree with TheGiz. Anniversary Waltz is perfect for the bride and groom as they keep the card for ever. It's that strong. I used to perform Doc Eason's version but switched to Ultimate Fusion by Darwin Ortiz. It can be found in Scams and Fantasies Page 168.

All the best

Michael
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I also like to incoporate the souvenirs they give to guests at most weddings. You can usually get one in advance to play with if you ask. Sometimes they're little bottles of champagne or bags of Jordan almonds, but I recently did a wedding for a policeman and the souvenir was a small rubber police car with their names on it. I had a ball with those. The biggest thing to remember is that weddings can mean a very wide age span from ringbearers and flowergirls to great-great-aunties. Good luck!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Thanks everyone for the advice and responses! I booked the gig, and have the deposit in hand. I am looking forward to it, and will let you all know how it goes! Thanks for the tips on Anniversary Waltz and using the party favors as part of a trick, I'll give that a shot!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Some quick things I've learned from Weddings:

1) I approach groups with the line, "Bride side? Or Groom side?" It's an easy question and everyone knows the answer. It gets people talking and it also makes them ask who I am.

2) People are always happy to see me- a welcome relief from small talk. Take some time to connect.

3) I introduce groups to each other. "Do you know that group? They look fun! Hey, come check this out. Does everyone know each other?" Doing rounds of introductions is key to "time-filling" if it's a small wedding.

4) I might not actually see the bride and groom. If they're out taking photos, they can run late. If that's the case, and I have to go, I make sure I find one of the parents, or the MC, and thank them for having me.

5) If the parents or MC are still out with the party getting photos, I might very well become the MC for the cocktail party myself. Helping people find their seat, locate family, etc can all fall to me. Rise to the occasion!

6) The bride and groom will remember this day forever. Forever. This is their day, not mine. I, in no way, do any magic that makes me rise above them in their presence. I always finish by doing one trick for them, that makes them look like the heores.

7) I try to make sure I don't look like a magician in any of the photos. Twenty years from now, I don't want them to look at their wedding pictures and see me spreading a deck of cards and have them say, "Who was that magician?" Instead, I want them to say, "Look! There's Jamie! Wasn't he great?!"~ recognizable by having everyone around me in the pic laughing and having a great time.

Just some quick thoughts,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Having just done six weddings in the last week I will say that no matter what you are told before-hand by the organizer it is very hard to predict if the guests will be seated or milling around the bar!
Be prepared for both.......
RyanAdams
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of RyanAdams
I think you should consider taking a variety of versatile magic. What I mean by that is material that is suitable for different situations. Often at a wedding you have guests at tables, at the bar, mingling outside or perhaps sat on sofas etc. For this reason I always take stuff that you wouldn't necessarily take to a close up gig. I'd recommend the likes of T&R paper, a book test, celebrity smartass etc. Nothing to large but certainly cabaret-esque stuff, as this is often suitable for larger groups of guests. Of course I'd still take my regular close-up material (ACR, Coin unique, Elastic bands etc) but I think it's wise to take other bits - as these situations often arise at weddings. All the best with your gig.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Jkvand

Just make sure your pants are rolled up, in case it rains.
Marc Woods
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
147 Posts

Profile of Marc Woods
It's a good thing you are doing different types of gigs...weddings usually are a great situation for doing table-magic.
The audience cares about everything the bride&groom have arranged...so tell the audience you were invited by the bride and groom to show them something special Smile
MiNDHACKER / goochelaar
https://www.marcwoods.nl
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
I performed at about four or five wedding parties. What I can tell you is that you must see the place long before the wedding, and check if your customers will have access to all the rooms. It can be useful if you need to store your clothes and stuffs. Don't begin your show too early, let the guests arrive one by one. Take magic for every kind of audience, including children. You can also think about tricks that can be done with borrowed items, because there are a lot on wedding parties : glasses, spoons, flowers....

Think also about something special just for the groom and bride : a matching effect (king and queens of heart etc.) for example. That will make your performance quite personal and unforgetable for them.

Good luck !
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Check out Steven ABlett's DVD series on Weddings - covering receptions, dinners, close-up etc. I've learnt a lot from his ideas and how to adapt existing routines to the wedding theme!

http://magicmystery.co.uk/shop/shop.htm
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Hey everyone, I did the wedding gig last night and it went GREAT! Thanks for all the tips and advice shared here on this forum, it helped me get ready and know what to expect. It was definitely a variety of situations - some people standing, some sitting, some big groups, some small, some inside, some outdoors, etc. Everything went well, and I thank you all for your contributions! -Jeff
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Glad to hear it!! Do you mind sharing what effects you thought went over well for the various performing situations?
You don't have to be specific if you don't want to. Did you perform mostly cards for example?
Congrats on a successful evening.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I have to give credit to Michael Ammar and his Classic Renditions - I used the mismade bill switch as my opener, and did a routine blending Crazy Man's Handcuffs and Alan Wong's Stargazer with a ring and rubber band routine. John Bannon's Play It Straight Triumph was my card routine (the first lady I did this for LOVED it - asked for a business card on the spot). That was the basic set that I did, and it went over very well. Thanks for asking!
Nutz4Tutz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Nutz4Tutz
That's fantastic Jeff! Glad you got your feet wet on the wedding gigs, they are probably the easiest gigs out there. I love performing at weddings, everyone is already having a good time so no matter what routine I do, the reactions are generally very good. My favorite was a wedding I did a year ago, there was an older guy there and he did a card trick for me. I said "that's pretty good", he responded with, "yeah a guy I used to know that does great card magic showed me that a loooong time ago". I asked the name of the guy that showed him, he said "Brother John Hammond". Anyways, when all was said and done and I was about to head out, I finished my set with (of course) the anniversary waltz. I ran into the couple a few months ago, they told me they had put the card with a picture of me into their wedding scrapbook. Them saying that, was probably one of the most proud moments in magic I've had.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Wedding Reception (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL