The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Real Secrets - recommended for close up/parlour? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
Different strokes -- but again, my only objection is that it is posted in "New to Magic" forum

Fair point, I would have to agree with that....my fault that one as the OP was mine. As with most magicians I too have tricks purchased that sit in the drawer and in fact the better I become the more selective I am. But knowing the tricks in the back of the drawer has informed some of the tricks I now perform. One of the classics I nearly bought but did not I am pleased to have passed on .....so many perform it that unless the presentation is masterful (Whit Haydn springs to mind) the responses it received when I saw it performed by two different professional magicians were lacklustre.

Most books, DVD's etc for close up and parlour are still cards and coins.....not all by any stretch but a lot. New ideas or new takes on old ideas would be interesting to me and if they are not cards/coins even more so. But as you say the issue is with the location of the thread and with that I would agree.

Best wishes,

Danny
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
The location of this thread was started by someone who is new to magic. As a new magician, he was asking about Real Secrets.
This seems like a fine place for that kind of question.

And I would say that the first two month's tricks would be perfect for a magician at any level. They use natual looking items that have all the hard work built into them. My bet is that a begining magician would have more success with these than trying to start with a double lift or a French drop.
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
Funsway: I totally agree that this method, in principle, would not be great for people new to magic (although even that needs to be couched by an "everyone is different" disclaimer).

There ARE some great effects (which I can't, alas, describe) that I WISH I'd had when I was starting in magic 45 years ago, however. Some of the more recent stuff, especially (ACK! I wish I could tell you about them!) has been really strong and do-able at any level.

Having said that, I still agree with you that the METHOD of distribution is not for the beginner as a sole introduction to magic. Joining a club and learning from peers is still, IMO, the best way to become proficient in this hobby/profession in the early days.

I like RS because the effects are pretty "out of the box" and I've learned some things from them that surprised me. But that's just me. Smile

your pal,

Lob
--
<BR>credo che tutti gli uomini siano fratelli
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I'm a big believer in finding a "good" shop and letting them guide you, especially to start. That's how I got started and Al (and later Jackie) Flosso's help in selecting the right next illusion given both my performance level and performance situation where invaluable.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Real Secrets - recommended for close up/parlour? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL