The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » Magic Magazine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
How did you get involved with them? I enjoy your articles. Your a pretty darn good writer.
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello and thanks for the kind words,
Writing for MAGIC is a ton of work, and I’m currently balancing this week’s stint here with trying to piece together another issue. The way it happened is sort of strange…

As you know, the first trick editor for MAGIC was Richard Kaufman. After two years, Richard decided to step down. Before leaving, he made the recommendation of Jon Racherbaumer, who eventually did take over…for seven years. Wow—speaking from just over two years of experience, SEVEN seems like such an accomplishment. I respect him more now than I did before…but back to the story.

Eventually, Jon also stepped down and for about six months, MAGIC went to a “spotlight” format, where the editorship changed with each month (Giobbi, Ackerman, Ammar, etc.). During this period, Richard Kaufman suggested I become trick editor. I had already been asked to write a “spotlight” column, and enjoyed the process. Somehow…I ended up with the gig. I know Richard loves to tell people that he has suggested all of his successors as trick editor, and I honestly thought he was kidding when he told me I should pursue it.

Working with Stan Allen is great—the best part is hearing his stories. Not only does Stan have a lot of interesting life experiences, but he’s incredible at the act of telling the stories. Our phone conversations are about 10 percent business and 90 percent “This one time when I was performing with…”

John Moehring, the current editor of MAGIC, is a juggler. That is, it’s MAGIC he edits monthly, but he is “juggling” everyone’s schedules, ideas, and complaints. And he does it with grace. John pulls no punches. For every “departure” you see and hear about in my column (free overlap gaff, incorporating the magazine into an actual trick, Simon Aronson’s Shuffle-bored tear-out, next month’s “science” experiment, etc.), he was willing to work with me. And, when he doesn’t like an idea, he tells me flat out (and probably saves me embarrassment in the process). I once took a literary publishing course, which consisted of semi-renowned authors speaking to us on how much they hated their editors. The class boiled down to battles between the writers and their editors. I feel fortunate to write for Stan and John—I feel like they’re on “my” team.

Thanks for the kind words,

Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » Magic Magazine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL