The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » What is 'ELEVATOR of LIFE'?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
I recently purchased a copy of the book, “Magic For The Gospel Magician” by Ralph C. Mills, and I wonder if there is more information on the last effect in the book, "Elevator Of Life"?
The apparatus consists of a rope through a tube. The tube RISES and FALLS ‘on command.’
> Where may I purchase this effect? Or something similar??
> Is it under any other name, as I have tried to find it from several 'Magic Suppliers', but to no avail.
I tried to ‘Google’ “tube type magic tricks.” Also to no avail...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is a very old book you are reading, and most of the tricks are no longer made. I believe what your are referring to is a trick that use to be published in a number of general magic books sold on the regular book market.

In the Science and Mechanics Magazine "Magic Handbook" they call it "The Tubes and Ropes", it is a homemade trick, I don't think it was sold on the magic store market, if it was it was before 1962. In this effect the tube falls and then rises, then 2 spectators hold the ends of the ropes, and upon them pulling on the ropes, the tube falls free.

Use is 2 six foot pieces of rope or cord, and a 15" X 1/4" mailing tube decorated as you prefer.
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
Thank you, wmhegbli 'The Great Hegblini' yes, I'm told Ralph C. Mills has been 'gone' at least 25 years. The book, however, is still on sale with some dealers, I purchased my copy April 2010. Steve Avaro suggested Ralph may have obtained the idea from 'Tarbell course'.

I don't think spectators are involved, because the EFFECT starts, "A round tube with a rope is shown - one end of the rope is placed under the magician's foot - then the other end is held shoulder high, suddenly the tube will rise or fall on command of the magician."
'Equipment: The Elevator Tube.'
MagiKen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of MagiKen
I do not know if you will see this unless you have it hooked up to auto respond (Subscribed to this topic) to your e-mail - I just did. Nonetheless, n case you happen to look at this old post after all these years, here is the answer you were seeking; or at least a part of the answer. The effect is a variation of the "Obedient Block." Many of these only freeze the block as it slides down the string or rope in a down only manner, starting or stopping at your command. It only goes back to the other end when the string is inverted. However, the version you seek is the kind that travels in both directions, up as well as down the cord. The down only version is also known as "Cubio." It is accomplished by a different gimmick than the one you seek. Here is how the one you want works: The rope is not inserted into, but rather starts out already in the tube and never is removed from it; it can't be. The tube should be long; at least a quarter to a third of the apparent length of the rope. I say "apparent length" because the rope is really two ropes which each of which are much longer than they appear to be. It is best if the ends of the tube are sealed or capped with the rope(s) passing through rope sized holes in the center of each cap. The ropes are attached to the tube near the side opposite through which they enter, but then they loop twice within the tube before exiting out the hole. Each loop goes up and through a ring or pulley at each end of the tube before returning to the side of the tube at which it exits through the hole in the cap. Thus, as the ropes are pulled, the lower rope pulls up the tube relative to the ropes. Releasing the pulling cause gravity to pull the tube back down while at the same time shortening the rope at the bottom. The lengthening of the lower rope and the shortening of the top rope and vice versa gives the appearance of the tube either climbing or descending. There is a small amount of lengthening of the ropes exposed as the tube climbs, but this goes unnoticed since the attention is on the movement of the tube. Without pulling mine apart (again - it has been a long time since I have done so) I can't recall whether both ropes went through two pulley rings or if one of them had only one pulley and the other rope had two. But if you search on "Obedient Block," and buy one that goes up as well as down, I think it will "do the trick." Play with the arrangement until you figure out the physics or luck onto the arrangement. Cobio is still readily available, but that is not what you want if you wish it to rise as well as to simply stop and go as it falls. I searched for the variant for which you are looking and cannot find one of these two-way versions listed on-line in any search. I would look for mine, but is it tucked away in some box somewhere. Next time I come across it, if I remember, I will pull it apart and take a picture of its innards for you, and attach the photo here. Sorry I could not be of more help. But at least you have an idea of what you seek, although not exactly where to find it or precisely how to make it.
Magic makes a difference when you care enough to make it magical
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Elevator of Life sounds like what a Christian magician would use for his theme of presentation. This trick is also published in Marconic's hard bound book on his magic he invented. Marconic is no longer with us, but his work lives on in his publications. He uses a rolled magazine and paper clips to hold the magazine together. Kind of fits in with church bulletin describing the different stages of life and/or the path a person takes.

I can see this being used as a motivational tool as well.
MagiKen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of MagiKen
Thanks Bill Hegbil. It is good to know the history of this as far as its originator. I will need to look up Marconic's work on this. I just did and I only found Marconick as a magic performer and author and Marconics as an author of books on spiritualistic philosophies and founder of a movement by the name Marconics; which is not likely who you meant. The books by Marconick in ads for books 2, 3, and 4 these do not mention this effect. Book 5 sold out before I could look at its contents; book 1 is not listed as any longer available from the dealer I was browsing. It could be in one of those. Going to the Genii history pages, Marconick was born in 1930 and died in 2008; his first book seems to have been published in 1967. He may have made some revisions of the effect under discussion, but I question whether he originated it. I know that as early as the mid to late 1940's Eric B. Hare was using one in his children's programs. He was a minister, but not to my knowledge deeply into magic. So it was likely something that was not brand new back then for him to have one. Therefore, if I have the right Marconic/Marconik (Originally Heinz Nikolas Stolk as born in Holland) it was not likely his original effect, since it was known in the USA when he was only between 15 and 19 years of age at most.
-
Eventucator, I recently came across a version of this which does not rise, but is themed as the obedient vs the disobedient heart. It is more Cubio like (but likely not inspectable) version with a 6 inch wooden heart on a rope. The theme is that it will not obey. It just slides down the rope out of control. Tip it either way; it just "goes with the flow" to its ruin. It sometimes even stops when it should go - if you want to go that patter route. Conversion by letting Jesus Christ take control of our way of life through embracing God's truths, accepting Jesus as our Savior, and allowing His Holy Spirit to live in our heart and in our life then allows us to "go" when we are sent, but also to be able to "stop" and not sin when we are tempted to do wrong. Thus we become the obedient heart. It is for sale from gospelmagic.com and is called: Disobedient Heart; it is $20.00.
-
Here is the description as it appears on that site’s catalogue: Disobedient Heart
by Doug Wathen
This 6" wooden heart has a mind of its own when told to slide down a rope. It slides slow, fast and even stops in the middle. It does all but what it’s told to do, until given to God. This Disobedient Heart then becomes obedient. Great Gospel routine included.
Magic makes a difference when you care enough to make it magical
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Marconic idea was the use of a magazine, paper clips, and 2 ropes. The rope should be like parachute cord, smooth surface. The trick is also described in the 1962 Science and Mechanics magazine, which can be found on the internet. It tells how to make the trick out of a mailing tube.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » What is 'ELEVATOR of LIFE'?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL