The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Method choice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I am doing some restaurant close up this evening and have a choice to use the standard linking ropes or my non gimmick-ed version. I am thinking I should do the normal rope version. With me, its a question of practice what I preach.
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns......jqzqyYSU
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Whichever works best in your hands is what I would use...but you already knew that.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
What kind of a crazy link have you posted?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Al...it is the mystical disappearing video link.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 15:49, Al Angello wrote:
Ian
What kind of a crazy link have you posted?

Al, Posts don't have to make sense. There wasn't much action in the rope posts, so I just posted something. This is not the congressional record.
Anyway after doing my rope effect while table hopping, I was amazed to see that absolutely no one had ever seen the professors nightmare, much less my version. I did over 50 sets and it was the same. It also went exceptionally well.
I reset in seconds, and went on.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
That routine is as good a routine as there is in rope magic. I love it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Couldn't agree more, Al. Thanks, Ian, for that excerpt. I am still studying and learning from your routines and methods.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I am working on a DVD concept I call evolution, but should be more aptly named transitions. It is all about the break-off points that all rope routines have. Using Sands as the pivot point, I show how you can improvise and move from one routine to another (at your whim). For instance, when I am doing the linking ropes, I can do Sandsational, Fiber optics, Tabary and even Dan Harlan moves.

"Evolution Dance of the masters

Sands, Bob Carver, eric Lewis, Ted Collins, E.J. Moore, Tabary, Sanders, I have a few months til I finish this project.
This will be the first time I will be using routines from other rope workers. I have worked out transitions from some of your favorite rope routines. This will allow you to have some key pivot points to go to and from several different moves.
During one long effect specifically for magicians, I do the moves as I mention who did them. I give credit for almost every twist, pickup and knot."

By the way, after watching the Harlan lecture I must concede that his rope effect is absolutely brilliant. He admits, however, that its derivation was from linking ropes.
During the past weekend convention, I did my routine, (in front of him) and did a "Harlan" move in the middle of it.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Looking forward to learning from your evolution concept, and pleased that you are enjoying the Harlan wrinkle.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-10-11 18:27, Woland wrote:
Looking forward to learning from your evolution concept, and pleased that you are enjoying the Harlan wrinkle.

What I liked about Dan's moves were that they were unique to rope history: Non-derivative actions which I appreciate. His choices and rationale for each action were explained well. I had hoped his rope choice would assimilate with standard rope, but the routine works best with his choice.
Originally I had the argument about exposure, but I now agree with Dan, that showing the connection similar to nightmare will never be associated with the standard nightmare. Especially when his method is a contradiction of "nightmare" moves.
-----------------
I spoofed his effect with a 10 second deviation during my Linking ropes, but I also wanted to show Dan that he could incorporate his routine into a mainstream rope effect. However after the lecture, I decided that his was best as a stand-alone piece.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I love the non-gimmicked rope version myself.
todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Method choice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL