The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Whosematerial do you perform the most? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Well, it was fairly obvious to me that the poster was asking who's material (other than yours) do you use. I think most (by a wide margin) "workers" are inspired by other's creations to massage the material to suite them. I love the trick "Stranger Gallery" by John Bannon. However, I think the routine finishes much stronger by using a rainbow deck. I didn't invent "Stranger Gallery" or the Rainbow Deck. But in this discussion, I would say that it's John Bannon's "Stranger Gallery".

The sponge routine I use is heavily based on Chris Priest's "Protons". However, I used sponge stars instead of sponge balls. I load the stars on the spec's shoulder twice (ala James Brown's jam routine or Gregory Wilson's coin routine). Is it the same as Priest's routine....no....but had I not seen his routine, my sponge routine would not be what it is now. So do I call this mine? I don't think so...nor do I really care.

I combine "Dr. Daley's Last Card Trick" with Marlo's "Think, Touch, Turn" (which I first saw performed by Bill Malone). When time allows, I like to combine 3 different sandwich effects....John Bannon's "Dawn Patrol", Aaron Fisher's "Search and Destroy", and Eric Jones' "Ishkabibble sandwich" or something like that. The point is....that even though I perform these effects differently than the creator, I didn't sit at the kitchen table and map out the entire process....so I'm not comfortable saying, "It's mine".

So, to address the OP. Magicians that have influenced my work the most? Don Alan, Michael Close, John Bannon, Gregory Wilson, Carl Andrews, and others. Of the younger performers, I saw Eric Jones lecture and was completely impressed. Go see him if you can.

patrick
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-11-08 13:11, patrick flanagan wrote:
Magicians that have influenced my work the most?

Now this is the question that should have been asked if the resulting fracus bothered anyone. With rare exceptions, most magicians have been influenced by the work of others. But when the question asked for the repertoire of working material as "whose" material it was, it was an honest answer that both Christopher and I gave... and after it was then suggested that we could not possibly be doing that, Carl Andrews comes on and posts basically the same thing, yet that bothered no one. Wow...

So, here I am posting to hear myself talk... AS USUAL.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I hear ya Michael...loud and clear!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Michael, I hear you. Your wise words aren't being wasted!
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Michael, Christopher, Carl, and all others:
I'm not bothered at all by your responses. Sometimes it's a matter of a few degrees. I remember seeing something put out by kid using the Frixion markers. I had never had heard of the Frixion markers at that point. I loved the possibilities but didn't care for the routine as described. I did, in fact, sit down and write out plots to utilize this tool. I came up with a routine that I still use. So, even though I didn't invent the Frixion marker....or wasn't even the first person to adapt it to a magic routine, I can confidently say, "This is my routine". Again, a matter of degrees I think. There are others like that, but most of my material is a modification or transformation of someone else's ideas to fit my abilities.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Everything I do is mine except for Card To Wallet , Mullica style.
Usually I sell what I invent but there are 4 close-up routines that I'll take to the grave without tipping them.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
*Deleted*
Wrong thread
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Over the past year, Harry Robson's.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Over the past year, Harry Robson's.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I, like all magicians, " stand on the shoulders of giants ". I use a lot of material from a lot of people, and I don't really think about honouring the creator when I spend my time crafting my own, personal use for a principle, gimmick or sleight. If I was publishing or producing I would credit where possible as it is only right that they receive credit. But effects are my own, my routines are my own, my patter ( Sorry Christopher Lyle ! )is my own. In my opinion, the creator needed me to put the finishing touches to their work to make a great idea suit my needs.
I actually don't spend much time thinking about who's material I am performing. It is about the effect being right for me, not who invented it. No small group I can mention - just a long list of spectacular ideas that I use.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Reginald Scot.....
Source of most of my material.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 10:52, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Reginald Scot.....

:) Good one!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 10:52, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Reginald Scot.....

Got any spells to make me thinner and grow hair?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
paradoxmagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of paradoxmagic
I do enjoy performing at the venues. When I started it was very amaturish (about ten years ago). I would attempt to conceal every known magic effect I had. Now I am many years ahead with greater experience. I tend to open either with industrial revelation or sanky's blackpool, then tamed card (wonder), and close with coins accross ending with a production of a jumbo coin. I keep it brief, exciting, and always involving all guests seated at the bar/table. If anyone would like to share the finer details, such as approach, engagement, leaving lasting impressions, or handling groups I am free to discuss in private messaging.
David Facer

"Impossible is NOT a word...." TM
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Mule Henderson
Anyone own that old Ammar VHS "Icebreakers"?

That's my whole act! Yeah Baby!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Whosematerial do you perform the most? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL