The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Curly q (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AndreasLund
View Profile
New user
Denmark
37 Posts

Profile of AndreasLund
Hi

I just got the Jeff McBride vol. 3 dvd because I wanted to learn the curly q move; I got it down in an afternoon, but still I was a bit dissapointed in how it looks (Both my own and McBrides)... I think it looks pretty "messy". Greg Wilson showed it to me a year ago, and I remember his one to look a lot nicer.
Is this just my blurred memory of seing the move for the first time, or is it possible to get the above spread to look better than McBrides, and form a larger circle than his?

Cheers

Andreas
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
I would like some advice on this move. I can do a Le paul spread about a foot long, but wehn it comes to curly cue, I cant get it started. When I reach with my thumb across the deck it feels strange, and when I realese pressure with my fingers the cards don't even move. Any help?
La magie, c'est ma vie
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Here are some tips:

1. Try to keep your 4 fingers near the end and not the middle.
2.If you Curly Q, and the cards fall cause you've spreaded too much, use your hand to stop it.
3.Try using 52 cards and not fewer or less.

Hope That Helps.

Adam
AndreasLund
View Profile
New user
Denmark
37 Posts

Profile of AndreasLund
I started out with a very worn out deck of cards, which had been used a lot for springing ... I found them a lot easier in the beginning since you don't need nearly as much pressure as with a new deck. Also try to do it in the other hand... I'm right handed and started out learning it with the left hand; when I tried to do it in my right hand, it took me about two minutes to get it right??

Andreas
Sagethegrumpyowl
View Profile
New user
S Wales UK
16 Posts

Profile of Sagethegrumpyowl
I wouln't bother with the curly q, so called one hand pressure fan. The proper pressure fan is just fine. You'd be better off learning the one hand fans from the bible as they are much much more impressive Smile
Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I've read about the Curly Q, but haven't seen it. How different is it when compared to the Lepaul spread? Anyone have a video or link to this flourish?

I'm guessing it's similar to a lepaul spread but the thumb in the right hand supports a curve in the first 15 or so cards that spring from the deck in the spread. This is just a guess.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Make sure the deck is at a tilt going up. (If you put a marble on it, the marble would fall toward you and hit your hand, NOT fall away on the floor). This tilt helps in keeping the cards from falling, as well as assists in the curly part.
dbuck
View Profile
New user
los angles, ca
10 Posts

Profile of dbuck
I love the Curly Q fan. When done correctly, it looks like there is some kind of mechanical device hidden in the cards that spread them for you. Jeff McBride didn't do it very well on the video. It wasn't until I saw Mark Crow (Tahoe, NV magician) do it that I really saw its beauty. Mark Crow also did a one-handed faro and then did the Curly Q making it a double spread/fan.
The way I learned it was to hold my index finger at the edge of the cards and use it later to support the large fan when it comes around. Most of the pressure comes from my 2nd and 3rd fingers at the center; my thumb rest across the deck, with pressure being exerted in the upper right corner, considering your doing it in you left hand - which you should if you deal out of that hand. Also, it seems that I hold the cards deeper in the hand for the Curly Q than I do for the LePaul Spread - this might be because you don't have the right hand to support the cards from falling so you have to use as much of your left hand as possible. Anyway, take my word for it that it can be a beautiful flourish if you put the time into it, It also has a magical look to it unlike the “pressure fan” so it suits us magicians perfectly.
Dave
AndreasLund
View Profile
New user
Denmark
37 Posts

Profile of AndreasLund
[quote]On 2004-03-26 13:50, Jive-Turkey wrote:
I've read about the Curly Q, but haven't seen it. How different is it when compared to the Lepaul spread? Anyone have a video or link to this flourish?

I put up a video of it on http://www.magicvideodepot.com a few days after I got the Jeff McBride dvd.

Here's a link

If that one doesn't work, try here:
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=1321

Cheers
Andreas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Curly q (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL