The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » 21 card trick revisited (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TSW
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio, USA
108 Posts

Profile of TSW
Hello "TMC"ers,

Most, if not all of you know the 21 Card trick. If not the first, it was one of the first cards tricks I ever learned, taught to me by my father, a non-magician, over 40 years ago. Despite that many laymen are familiar with the trick and know it's method, I still think it's a great principal and worthy of a revisit. I've spent many months testing the principal with different numbers of cards and different outcomes. I believe I can develop it as a mentalist routine performed completely by the spectator. I will update my progress to anyone interested.

I just curious if anyone else is using it and what their presentation might be.

Thanks!
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Interesting.

You may want to check your method and progress against these:

“7-7-7 The 21 Card Trick: Reconstructed, Retro-fitted, Rigged,” by Jon Racherbaumer.

<<Jon Racherbaumer has put together a collection by an incredible group of card magicians. Each magician has given Jon his version or versions of the 21 Card Trick. There is something in this book for everyone. Fool those in the know or entertain layman, each kind of approach is covered. The list of contributors includes: Bert Allerton, Ed Marlo, Steve Draun, Bruce Cervon, Jon Racherbaumer, Jack Parker, Jason Alford, Simon Aronson, Bill Goldman, Martin Sunshine, Peter Duffie, Phil Goldstein, Mike Powers, Jim Swain, Gene Castillon, Steve Bryant, Ramon Rioboo, Dave Stahl, Chris Kenner, Lee Freed, Paul Gordon, Lewis Jones, Steve Beam, David Drake, William Miesel, Brent Braun, Chuck Smith, Doug Conn, Roger Crostwaithe, and Justin Higham.>>
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
TSW
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio, USA
108 Posts

Profile of TSW
Dear panlives,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try and find “7-7-7 The 21 Card Trick: ...” to check it out. I've always thought that the 21 Card Trick principle was so strong that it was worthy of a more subtle and refined presentation than the one I learned as a kid. However, I see no need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks again!
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Also, check out "Forty Two" in the Nov.'07 and "21 Again" in the Feb.'09 issues of THE LINKING RING's Card Corner.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
You can see the above two versions at http://www.mallofmagic.com/cardcorner.html
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
Marlo's several versions of the 21 Card Trick are devastatingly clever. Granted, they eschew the actual mathematical principle for subtlety and ruse, but the effect itself is duplicated.

If you're focusing specifically on the mathematical principle, I second Racherbaumer.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
There is an interesting variation in Jack Parker's "Set to kill".

The effect is called Sunken 21, and the performer can easily compute in advance the number on which the chosen card will appear.This allows to deal the 21 cards face-up, but the chosen one.

Hope this helps.
So much to do, so little time . . .
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Randy Wakeman has a good version, can't remember exact book r DVD it is from.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
I like Bill Malone's performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8agQ2sGkA
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
I think to remember that Jim Swayn's got a version as well in 21st Century Card Tricks.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » 21 card trick revisited (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL