The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 6' Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
This is probably a stupid question buy, besides vanishing and making a 6" silk reappear. Is there anything else I can do or use it for. Just wondering.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Blow your nose! Smile
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

This just gave me an idea, to blow my nose and have some coins fall out.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Gather it up to blow your nose on it and when you are out of sight, you simply vanish and the silk falls to the ground in a snotty heap.

The main use for it, after making it appear, is to make other objects or people appear within its folds, or use as a cover to make objects or people vanish or transform from one into another.

When Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki makes the six foot silk appear from his "Sneaky Production Box" aka "Bigger Box" from The Wizards' Journal # 18, it's not shown on the video but in his live shows he usually shakes the silk and it appears that his little brother comes falling out (he's quite a little acrobat). Then the two of them produce the final "The End" silk from the box after showing it empty one last time.

Amazingsauce: if you have been producing coins from a small silk prior to the appearance of the 6 foot silk, your eyes would light up and you would begin producing jumbo coins from the bigger silk. The jumbo coins used to come in metal instead of plastic, and that would be just the thing for a giant Miser's Dream with a lot of noise.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The idea of a blendo also works.

In one of my stage routines, I individually display 3x36" silks (red, blue, yellow), swirl them together, and then place them into the square circle. Then I produce a 6' tie dye silk (same colours) from the square circle. This could also be done with a crystal silk cylinder, or other apparatus.

Or if you have more than 3 colours on a 6' picture silk, then use those colour silks to begin with. You could even produce the smaller silks to begin with, via Snap Silks, etc.

And of course, you don't have to start with 36" silks, like I do. Use whatever size you wish to.

Don't forget, that once you've produced a number of silks, including large ones, you then can produce items like flowers or flags from those silks.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Red white and blue in TT to change to a flag.
----------------
You could actually put a six inch silk in your nose.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Since it’s almost Christmas, here’s a freebie. I’ve been doing this every Christmas since I was a teenager (a century ago!)

No title, so we’ll call it “Jeweler's Christmas” (or “Nuts to You”) Smile

You will need:
  • Two small (6”) matching silks. You may want to dedicate these silks. It can be hard on them.
  • Two small (cheap) pieces of jewelry (identical). Go shopping at Wal-mart or Big Lots; you’re looking for something delicate, like a small, thin chained necklace with a dangly little pendant on it. Not too big, as you’ll see later. Buy two; spend less than $5; make sure they match.
  • One large English walnut (abundant in stores around this season). In fact, grab a bag full.
  • Pocket knife
  • Two favorite vanishing methods. I’ve used TTs, pulls, even a chop cup (if the necklaces are cheap enough). One time I even managed this with a French drop.
  • Cooperative lady spectator. (If you can’t supply this, go home!) Smile

Preparation: Select a walnut. With your knife, VERY CAREFULLY open the walnut around the natural seam at its “equator”. If you begin working at the butt end, you will find it a fairly simple task to gently pry open the whole thing, while leaving the two half shells intact. Remove the nut meat (and eat it if you aren’t allergic!) Carefully use your knife to hollow out the rest of the shells. You won’t get this perfect, just clear and smooth enough that it won’t snag your silks.

Cup one of your silks (like a small pouch) and put one of the necklaces into that pouch. Fold over until you have a packet that will fit into your hollowed out walnut. (It will be tight, but you can do it!) Close the walnut. The tiniest dab of wood glue (Elmer’s, not Gorilla!) at each end of the shell will keep everything safe until showtime.

Before the show, secretly pick your helper. I’ve actually never been turned down in this. Show the (other) necklace to a lady and explain that you’re going to be doing a “magic trick” later, and would she mind wearing this? They usually get this really larcenous look on their faces (who doesn’t like to be “in” on a good gag?) and say “Sure!” Sometimes I even get to “help” her put it on. Nice perk!

When you’re ready to perform, look around the room to “find someone” wearing jewelry. Aha, there’s someone right there! “Borrow” her necklace, offering her a…a…let’s see…(grab a walnut out of the decorative bowl that’s no doubt sitting on a side table)...HERE...take this walnut…this…this MAGIC walnut! Yeah, a magic walnut, to hold as “insurance” against anything happening to this lovely necklace.

You pull out your jeweler's polishing cloth (that just happens to look like a 6” silk). As you’re polishing the pendant, you discover that the necklace has completely disappeared. As you look at your empty hand, the cloth disappears from your other hand. Both the cloth and the necklace have vanished.

Apologize profusely! “I just don’t know what could have happened. At least you still have the Magic walnut. The walnut that has been in your hands the entire time. Would you please crack that open?”

If you wrapped it correctly, she will see the silk first. When she removes and opens the silk, she will find “her” necklace. You are a hero! Recover your silk, and help her on with the necklace. Such a gentleman!

This is just a cute little something that I figured out as a kid, but it always gets smiles at the Christmas party. Have fun with it!

(Whether to recover the necklace later or leave it with her as a souvenir is entirely up to you!)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Today I am wearing my reading glasses and I now see that I was responding to a request with what to do for a 6' silk rather than a 6" silk. Without the glasses the " looks like a ' . It appears that Donald Dunphy was also seeing a six foot silk, so at least I am not alone in my mistake. My apologies to all that I confused with my response. DWRackley's routine sounds great for a six inch silk. I have a routine for a 12 inch silk, but it would be wasted on a six inch silk.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The thread title says 6' Silk (6 foot), but the first post reads 6" silk (6 inches). So, that's why there are both responses. I'm going by the thread title, and assuming the first post had a typo in it. But it could be the other way around.

If it's a small silk, they can be marked by a spectator (have them mark it or put their signature on it with a sharpie), and then used in a transposition. Put it in an embrodery hoop (available from Michaels, etc.), to hold it flat while they mark it. Give them the silk at the end of the routine as a souvenir.

I've also seen blendos using multiple small silks and a TT.

D
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

I mean six inch, ha sorry guys. Still love the feedback from everyone though. Some great advice here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 6' Silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL