The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi :-) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

supersooty
View Profile

Lincolnshire, England
0 Posts

Profile of supersooty
Hi I'm Simon from Lincolnshire UK. I started my interest when I was < 10. My passion for close-up (cards in particular) only increased from their, progressing to a few residencies at various restaurants in a nearby city. Personal changes and a medical issue forced me to stop. Now all the dust has settled, at 34 ... I'm starting again. Back to basics for me ... Elmsley Count to Mercury Card folds ... Hopefully some helpful advice from people on here will get me back on my feet.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
If I could start my whole first start of learning again, (Which it seems you are!) I don't think I would spent as much time practicing individual slights. Instead I would finds tricks I like. Build a routine that I want to perform. And then learn it trick by trick. Learn only the sleights you need for the routine you want!
Best of luck to you. And welcome to the Café.
supersooty
View Profile

Lincolnshire, England
0 Posts

Profile of supersooty
Thanks for the advice Nicholas. The sleights are me reminiscing and re-learning some of the older 'classics' (Rainbow cascade etc). I seem to be lacking in my manipulative dexterity and I hope that some of these sleights will help. If nothing else, they "should" build my confidence (which is severely lacking).
Thanks again Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome supersooty,

If you were doing Magic at a few Restaurants (even just for fun) in your youth you should have more confidence. The Restaurants wouldn't let you do it for long if you were too bad. It would alienate customers.

Nicholas is right though. If you want to practice a sleight, practice it in the context of an Effect (once you have the basics of the sleight down). When you do a sleight in an Effect live you will not have just done it over and over so you need to be able to do it cold. (Good advice from Gene Anderson).

See you in "The Workers". You'll fit right in.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Welcome! --I just joined this outfit a few days ago! But,I've been "around" since the '40s (and made a living with magic most of my life.)

I hope you don't get caught up in practicing a "move" just to be able to do the move! Moves and/or sleights are just techniques which make possible the performance of a trick (that requires the sleight!)

Along with practicing basic sleights, learn the principles that make it all possible.

TARBELL,for example, is an OLD (1920s)course, (the patter ideas are "hopelessly" out of date)but the various principles are still valid.

When Karrell Fox died,he had sold most of his library,except for Harold Rice's Encyclopedia of Silks and the TARBELL COURSE.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Simon,
Let me welcome you to our beautiful Café. As you have noticed it is one of a kind;unique.Absolutely the best the best place about magic ever.You will find this as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has over 52.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
We are glad that you have joined us.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi :-) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL