The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Magic Book For Young Children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
A coworker of mine has children in the 8 to 11-year-old range. They are very interested in magic and he (father) would like to get them the best book for them to learn. I thought of Tarbell, but I fear it is a bit too hard for that age.

In your assessment, what are the top two or three books for a serious magic student who just happens to be young?

Thanks,
Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
The only books that I can think of are:

The Magic Book - Harry Lorayne
Magic For Dummies - David Pogue
Course in Magic - Mark Wilson

There might be better ones though.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I always say the best of quality is the Klutz Book of Magic. It comes with very, very good quality tricks, is easy to learn and has some brilliant props. It comes with a TT, a bracelet-sized chrome ring, a silk, a string and a couple of latex squares (you will want more, get some from the Klutz website or the dentist). I think this is the wisest choice. If you can, pick a cheap one on ebay, as it is not a real cheap item.
Jesper Amstrup
View Profile
New user
Denmark
89 Posts

Profile of Jesper Amstrup
But Cyclopedia Of Magic by Mark Wilson is very cheap. It's a great little book that cover a lot of ground. From impromptu to illusions—you can't go wrong with this one!!!

Jesper
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I would suggest the folling books for all beginners:
  1. Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. The ultimate beginner's book.
  2. The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay. Although I don't know if this slightly heavy book is easy to read for an eight-year-old.
  3. The Amazing Book of Magic/Card Tricks by John Tremaine. These are two brilliant and mostly underrated books, that are sometimes hard to find.
  4. The Art of Magic and Sleight of Hand by Nicholas Einhorn. Another great book with many illustrations.
  5. Self-Working...(fill in the blank space) by Karl Fulves. I would recommend these books first (for eight-year-olds) as they are easy to do, yet contain some good magic.
I hope this will be useful in your search.

Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Tarr—now you see it...
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Aside from the above recommendations, I would suggest A Book of Magic for Young Magicians: The Secrets of Alkazar by Allan Zola Kronzek.

I received this book as a gift shortly after I started out and it helped me a lot. It's a good collection of simple magic that would be within the grasp of someone in the age range you mentioned. The unique thing about this book is that not only does it cover the methods to the tricks, it also teaches the basics of presentational skills: misdirection, patter, etc. Though suited toward younger readers, it's a good buy for any beginner.

You can find it at http://www.amazon.com for a cheap price.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I learnt from Harry Lorayne's book The Magic Book and look where I am now. Really brilliant reference, his style really lends itself to a young beginner.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course is another must which is a bit more detailed.
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I agree with indridcold, The Klutz Book of Magic is an excellent introduction to magic for children of that age.

While many of the other titles mentioned would build a good foundation for a long-term approach to magic, The Klutz Book (complete with great props) provides quality effects in an easy-to-understand format.

I know it's effectiveness because I've given two as gifts. The end result being that one child (age 8) simply enjoys the Klutz effects and went no further, while the other (age 10) went on to study several "main-line" magic books. In both cases, The Klutz Book was a great starter.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Lorayne's the magic book is excellent, but I agree with the two users above. The Klutz Book of Magic was my first book and it did wonders. Tthe effects are actually pretty strong and would probably fool many people on this site. Stuff like ring slide, pang penetration, etc...just killer material for a kid.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Another good choice is The Magic Show by Mark Setteducati & Anne Benkovitz, a unique book that has 12 hands-on, interactive tricks built into its pages. It's beautifully designed, very engaging and lots of fun! You can find it in general book stores and at Amazon.com for about $13.

Also, see this earlier thread on magic books for youngsters for additional suggestions.

Good luck,
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I'm another who favours the Mark Wilson book. It covers the basics of most magic effects, cards, money, sponge balls, silks, etc. The drawings are very good and the routines are broken down into steps. And they are routines and not just short tricks. It gives a very good overall beginning to magic.

Eddie
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
Thanks all for some excellent suggestions!

Nick
http://www.stackview.com
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Magic Book For Young Children (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL