The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic kits given to you as presents (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jarro_2783
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of jarro_2783
How often do you find that friends and family, who know you're into magic, give you magic as presents because they think that it will be a cool present, and it turns out to be something that you never would have bought yourself and isn't really that good?

I got a couple of things the other day and they're a bit disappointing. Now I don't know whether to put them on the bookshelf where they get dusty, or to learn a trick or two to please said family member with their gift.

One of them was the Theatrix "Miracle Deck". I won't say what it is, but you'll probably work it out if I say it lets you pull a spectator's card instantly out of a deck, or separate red from black, or throw all the cards but the spectator's out of the box. The videos look home made, with this cheesy South African guy doing everything, and this dodgy synthesised disco music over the whole DVD. Firstly, I think the effects are not that good anyway, and secondly, I can't even do it properly. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if it was never really going to work anyway. The instructions of "hold the deck lightly at both ends and pull" are not really working for me.
Jarryd Beck, Sydney, Australia
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
The fact that your family and friends like what you do and buy you gifts of that kind is a good thing. But there is a problem they buy you effects that are not your thing, or they buy you a cheap as one that don't really work.

Every time someone goes on holiday I get a deck of cards and some left over coins. In the past I have had some dodge and weird things given to me 'flashing wand with mickey mouse ear' for example. I think you can do a few things learn it, show t, dump it. E-bay could be agoer aswell.

Also as a kid I was into juggling and it took time but my faimly learnt the benefits of me using juggling balls rather than cheap as tennis balls. So you migth need to educate. Dose your local magic shop do vouchers. When pepole ask me what I want I say iam saving up for a few bits and mention vouchers.

Hope this helps take care and have fun
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
jarro_2783
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of jarro_2783
Vouchers are a good idea. There's also the, "I really want this book" tactic. Unfortunately my nearest magic shop is an hour away in the city, or Taylor's Magic online. But buying ebooks is always an option too.

I feel like if I never really like a trick that it will come across in my body language, mood etc that I'm not very enthusiastic about this trick. I can tell when I have a trick that I really like, and I really think people will like it, I'm excited to show it. But if I am not enthusiastic about the trick, then it's going to show.
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
I got several magic kits when I was like under 10 years old, but I threw all of them away, beacuse they included gimmick magic wands, plastic coins etc...
Now regret it, I even threw away T**** Tip when I was 8 years old, because it wasn't "magical" enough..
HAHAHA! I'm so stupid.. NO! They were stupid! They should have gave me pack of cards then. Smile
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
jarro_2783
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of jarro_2783
Actually I have one of them from some gimmick show bag in a drawer at my mum's house. I should go through that drawer and see what turns up.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Now in my 60's I occasionally pick up an old magic kit at a garage sale, etc. They make fine displays in my "special room" and some of the gimmicks are usable in ways never imagined by a "kid."

Then I make up new kids as starters for seniors in Assisted Living Centers who now have the time to practice and the desire to entertain new friends. The guy who gave you that kit is now 70 -- and just a kid inside.

I still use the Pull I got when I was ten ..

My first kit was from my Dad -- the one he had from 1932 -- A Gilbert set that I wish I still had. The Magic was that he had kept it hidden and perfect for 35 years!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Wow~ Funsway...I'm sure that you know what that Mysto Magic set is worth now!!!!

Probably, when someone 'gifts' you with a Svengali deck or a "complete magic show in a box' the simplest thing to do is stash that item on the top shelf of the closet. Perhaps,in the case of a gaffed deck, sometime later show them a trick and let them 'think' that you 'got it' from their gift.

Jarryd, I was never excited about a 'Wizard' deck either. It just didn't appeal to me. But, I've seen guys do some 'miracles' with one. It is just a matter of personal taste.
Possibly that African deck is not properly made.

Here's a neat story: Harry Blackstone Senior used a Svengali deck in his big illusion show! I saw it! (in 1945) He also did the Afghan Bands (Moebius strip)a trick that has been 'taught' in numerous 'kid' books, and made it into a funny and entertaining bit. With a railroad box car of props backstage, he got a good 4 minutes out of it--and carried it in his pocket!

Jesse! Always keep in mind, that they meant well!

There's a story of a very successful business man, who is being interviewed by a young reporter who is writing an article on "successful men--and how they had achieved their success.The reporter asked, Is there one specific thing that contributed to your success?" The successful man said, "Yes! It was making the right decisions!" "But, how did you learn how to make the right decisions?" "Experience!" replied the man. "But, how did you get the experience?" The man replied, "MAKING THE WRONG DECISIONS!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
All of the magic I've gotten as a gift was pretty good.

A couple of years ago, I got the CA Platinum Kit. Some of the props are broken now, but I still use a lot of the stuff from it.

This past year for Christmas, I got a mini Dove Pan (called a Candy Pan) and Poker Chip Polka. I still use the pan, and I absolutely loved the poker chips. In fact, I loved them so much that they broke within a few days!
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
Good point and great story Mr. Oslund!
:D Me and my friends use this phrase:
"Experience is the name of all mistakes we did in the past."
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I think that "miracle deck" is underrated. There are some cool tricks that can be done with it. Plus, I've never met any layman who knew what it is... When they know the name of the deck (in French) they think of some device so old that it wouldn't be used anymore. My only problem with that deck is that I'm not used to table riffle shuffles with it, and that mine has lost one card...

Think of that deck as a deck with impromptu key cards or crimps, and suddenly I think it becomes more attractive...

P!
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Be graceful about any gift you recieve.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I wish I would have held on the the
magic sets I had as a kid also.
Many years ago.
Todd
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
I still have one my wife bought me with Chris Angels name on it. I just stuck it in the closet.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I had an old Spanish magic kit by a firm called Boras, never used it and don't know what happened to it. It was from the 70s and all made of plastic.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I guess I'm kind of fortunate in that I work in a school so when a family member gets me a trick that I really don't care for, I can give it as a present to one of my students. I know that it may be annoying to get something that's really too simplistic but at least it's nice that people think enough of you to take the time to get you something that they think you'll like. I still remember getting a computer part from my parents and I didn't have that type of computer (this was back quite a few years). We laughed about it then and it brought many smiles for years to come. One more thing about magic kits, sometimes, there actually is something in there that you can really use or parts that you can use for a different trick. Be sure to check it out before you dismiss it. As other people have also noted, you may want to hold onto it because it may be worth something some day!
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic kits given to you as presents (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL