The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Bob Cassidy's The Mastermind Papers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Could someone please give it a review?
Thanks
procy
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of procy
Hi Yaniv,

Will give you a review when I recieve it, Bob has promised in the next few days. Should be good as always. Noticed it is sold out on his site now.

Simon
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I ordered it over a couple weeks ago. I got an e-mail that said it would be sent in 3 to 5 days (or sooner). It's been a week and finally yesterday I recieved an e-mail that said it would be sent last night or early this morning. I still haven't gotten it yet! Hopefully it will be worth the wait! And by the way, he doesn't answer his e-mails!
Reuben42
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Reuben42
Hello.

Bob does indeed answer his replies.

There was a HUGE delay in November due to a rather high volume of e-mail as well as some manuscripts that a few people had e-mailed him. This meant a delay in some of the materials that he has on offer that I've bought. Bob has also finished upgrading parts of his web page and this has also delayed things.

Having said that, on to the review.

I won't give you a blow by blow description of the material that the DVD contains, the advertisement as found on the Internet will suffice.

This said, the DVD is a copy of a video made of a lecture that Bob gave a few years ago, in which he puts on a 45 minute or so show, and then goes over each routine with a tutorial.

As a neophyte in the mentalism craft I found/find Bob's ability at presentation /explanation to be easy to understand and, more importantly easy to learn.

His billet switch using a Bic lighter is one of the easiest things to do, as his card memorization presentation that he does at the end of the show.

His book, The Art of Mentalism - 2 which is available on his web page, contains the whole show as shown on the DVD, and the notes as well. There is a bonus routine that is downloadable from his web page that gives a newer approach to his chronologe routine. I plan on using it for an audition with the Coventry Magic Circle that I have in March.

One thing I find also helpful is that he makes reference to other mentalists, including those who "pioneered" the craft. This makes it easier for me to delve into the subject. Koran, Hay, and Annemann figure quite prominently with Bob and his act and I've since bought those books that Bob recommends, Annemann's "Practical Mental Magic" and the CD of Annemann's "Jinx" magazine, along with "The 13 Steps to Mentalism" are well worth the money and are providing me with a lot of ideas and material.

I look at Bob Cassidy's DVD as a starting off point and refer to it many times as I try to hone in on my use of the billet and switch. Even though I know the mechanics of how he does it, he still slips by me on more than a few occasions.

By the way, if it's still available, I highly recommend his CD "THE BLACK BOX" which contains extracts from a similar, but better, IMO, show.

I hope this helps a bit.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Reuben, the Mastermind Papers is one of Bob's most recent ebooks, not a DVD or video. I'm not quite certain what DVD you are referring to.

Given that the ebook is no longer advertised on his website, I assume it is sold out. I don't see the point in giving an extensive review but I'll gladly share a few comments.

The book begins with an effect by the legendary Dr. Crow to be used at a party. Someone mentions their favorite musical artist and then is asked to hit the play button on the host's CD player. You guessed it; a song by the named artist is playing.

This sets the stage for the premises to follow. Bob gives his thoughts on how to be prepared at all times for a hard-hitting "impromptu" show. As usual, his philosophy and thoughts on this are invaluable.

I haven't read this for a bit, but if memory serves me, this isn't a collection of fully fleshed out routines. Rather, Bob gives us a set of tools. They are explained in print and via short video clips. He offers a couple of different switches and a method to read a billet. Also, a great idea on how to use a standard wallet for an index and switch is covered. There is also a helpful video on Bob's technique for Mark Striving's SUC. If a picture is worth a thousand words, you can imagine what this video is worth.... priceless.

Bob also shares two "invisible" devices that he never leaves home without. Overall, we are given a set of tools and some suggestions on how to put them to work. These tools can be used to perform most of the standards in mentalism, not to mention create new effects, with a bit of thought. The reader will have to think it through and do some work. This isn't like many of Bob's ebooks that have fully scripted routines.

At the end, Bob shares his personal and confidential (shh... don't tell anyone) notes. This is a collection of mostly two or three sentence brainstorms on a wide variety of subjects, tools and effects. A window into Bob's head, if you will. Be careful what you look for, you might find it.
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
Bob has become the new Al Mann, the work is coming out at a rapid pace and is virtually unedited as to the impact of each effect. I find the manuscripts hit or miss re: the effects"BUT" I always find the thinking extremely compelling.

J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Bob Cassidy's The Mastermind Papers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL