The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Integrating Self-Workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
For those that do a lot of card magic, how much self-working material do you use compared to sleight based (or other) effects? Do you move from one to the other, or leave them seperate?

I guess I'm interested to see what kind of ratio working magi and cardicians have for sleights/gaffs/self-workers/other in their routines/acts.
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
A deck starts off stacked for effects like "Equalizer Revealment" (Columbini) or "Magic Vs. Mentalism" (Annemann), or any other effects that require an initial stack. I usually have another deck that starts with some gimmicks on top (packet effects) on top in order that don't require rest of deck - i.e - TOP: Double Back (Jon Allen), then "TURNING BLUE gimmick (DB)" (Harlan), then a "Ultra Gum" (gimmick card), then "Twlight Angels gimmick", then "Twisted Sisters", and I usually always place "Tagged" gaff (Sanders) near the center of deck As you can see I literally jam pack my deck with what I feel are nice packet effects/key cards required for other great routines such as Ultra Gum. Speaking of Ultra Gum, I also make sure I organize all the accommodating props (gum, LIT (Hauss) gimmick, Branded gimmick, Indecent (Houchin) etc. After I've exhausted all of my packet effects laying on top of the deck, which as you can see are quite significant, I proceed to my favorite non-gimmicked, prop-less card routines such as Back In Time (Sankey), Timely Departure (Bannon), Overkill (Harris), Search & Destroy (Fisher), Untouched (Daryl), Weighted Aces, The M.U.M Miracle (Columbini), Cards & Dice Prediction (Columbini). Most of the latter tricks are incredibly easy (virtually Self Working) but pack heavy punch. I use sleight more in the "prop routines" such as "Paperclipped" but I tend to only throw in a few so I can concentrate more on performance, LIT (Biddle), Ultra Gum, etc. What I'm trying to get at is that in terms of integration I usually begin with Gaffs (Top of deck), follow with effects that require props (Paperclipped), LIT, Ultra Gum, Tagged, BRANDED, etc) and conclude with self workers. If Im headed to a gig and Im all about the cards I'll usually carry a few decks arranged like that plus an ID deck, A svengeli deck and "In a flash" (Sankey) just to switch things up. I was once at an event and ended up going "overtime". As the night went on to the wee morning hours they just kept wanting more. With their glasses being refilled every few minutes and my being "still on the clock", I basically performed until about 5:30am and exhausted a mammoth list of tricks/effects but found I was running out. A situation Ive never encountered before. Now I go prepared.
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Although I prefer coin tricks but my audiences (which tend to be informal) seem to prefer card tricks so I the majority of my routines focus on this. As for the ratio, it depends on what I'm doing. However, all else being equal, I have recently started working with stacks again and will usually include one self-worker stack effect in my routine (eg such as something based on the Gil****** principle, which are neat and generally sleightless. The rest of what I do is pretty much 50% sleight and 50% mentalism card tricks. Of the mentalism effects, about 10-15% (depending on the routine) are mathematical self-workers, which I personally find boring, but my victims generally love them.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-20 06:45, Daeld wrote:
Although I prefer coin tricks but my audiences (which tend to be informal) seem to prefer card tricks so I the majority of my routines focus on this. As for the ratio, it depends on what I'm doing. However, all else being equal, I have recently started working with stacks again and will usually include one self-worker stack effect in my routine (eg such as something based on the Gil****** principle, which are neat and generally sleightless. The rest of what I do is pretty much 50% sleight and 50% mentalism card tricks. Of the mentalism effects, about 10-15% (depending on the routine) are mathematical self-workers, which I personally find boring, but my victims generally love them.

Good idea on the "g" principle. I may change my arrangements around but I very much enjoy getting all the stacks, gimmick and prop effects out of the way (ditching when necessary) then finish off with all the great self-workers and relax a bit.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
So 10% of 50% then? Smile In other words, not many ...

Does anyone else's mileage vary?
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Not exactly sure what self working means but the mentalism I do is 100% non sleight of hand. It can be something like Numbers by Rus Andrews or my ACAAN effect or other effects in my book Inspired. Some people think you need sleight of hand for an impressive card effect. For me its the opposite, if I make it work in the spectator's hands---taking out the possiblity of sleight of hand then their amazement level is far higher.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Integrating Self-Workers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL