The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advertisement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
I just started performing shows(even though I've been doing magic seriously for 2 years) and I was thinking about posting flyers at my local library and maybe giving some of my business cards to a few shops in the town square(it's only about 3 minutes from my house). What do you guys think? Thanks, Roy
Are you watching closely?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Those are both good thoughts. Just make sure you put some good thinking in to what the flyer is going to say and show.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Go down to the Tricky Business forum. There's lots of good info there.

Ed
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Being in the advertising & marketing business for many years, my best advice is to make sure that anything you put out with your name on it looks professional. A poorly designed business card, website or flyer may get your contact information out there, but if they haven't seen you perform, it also is the first impression someone may have about your ability as a magician. Make the effort to do it right, even if you have to get some help, and it should pay off for you in the long run.
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
Those all look like great ideas, but as Robin4Kids said:
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 10:32, Robin4Kids wrote:
my best advice is to make sure that anything you put out with your name on it looks professional.

You could also look for community events such as fairs and other social gatherings

Also, I had a similiar post at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=509900&forum=41&3. You could look there for more ideas

-Magicman344 Smile
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
If you are going to design your own flyers and need some really professional graphics, spend $50 at shutterstock.com and download images (search for "magic background"). You need to know how to edit images on your computer and have good software.
If you don't know what you're doing, at least choose a good design and speak to a graphics designer (usually a website designer can do this)
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Creating photo ops from local papers can help.

Back in the 1980's I did a show called Mime over Matter.(silent comedy)
Rather than going in traditional white, I showed up at a Zucchinni Festival in Green Face.

I juggled and did magic with the vegetable. Got me some coverage and photos.

Harris
still thinking outside the gift bag.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Consider having some professional photos of yourself shot.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
TJs Magic
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of TJs Magic
Also I like the idea of coloring sheets. I send out an advertisement to elementary schools, pre-schools, and libraries etc. enclosed with about 10 coloring sheets of me with a rabbit with a note allowing them to make as many copies as they would like. These Coloring sheets are also great advertisement for me because they have my logo and phone number on them. Kids color them take them home you get where going. But I agree with everyone else make sure it looks professional.
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Thanks for all the advice, just for clarification I have only done one "show," it was going table to table during a dinner show at my church, all close-up effects: a couple card effects and my sponge routine. I have been trying to get together a stage act for my youth group but I haven't gotten it yet. My being a magician has barely spread past my youth group, I say barely because my going table to table did spread it a little bit. For the most part only people that I know personally have seen my effects. Only being 15 years old is very limiting as far as where I can perform and who I can perform for. I am also short on funds, there is only so much I can do with money that I get on my birthday and on Christmas. This is a lot of information, but with this in mind, how do I get the news out that I will gladly do magic shows for birthday parties or perhaps strolling effects at different events?
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

By the way, I have also done some magic for a few preschool/kindergarten classes, my sponge routine and card levitation went over really well. I also through a little juggling into the mix. -Roy
DollarThief
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DollarThief
I used to handle advertising for a small business, and we would advertise with the search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) You can set it up so your ad only shows up for people in your area. A search for "YOURCITY MAGICIAN" isn't very competitive, so you might be able to reach potential customers that way.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
ROY>>>>>>

I will PM you with a few thoughts, as soon as I can find a few minutes!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc!

(Sixty-eight years, making a living with magic--and I'm going to continue until I get it right!)-- hee hee!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Roy, don't be surprised if your library won't let you post your info.

My wife is an art teacher, and our library wouldn't let us post a flyer for her summer art camp because we are not a non-profit organization.
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
If the library says no try the supermarket.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advertisement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL