The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Slowing Down Psycho Kinetic Bolt (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
The effect is simple. You screw a nut onto a bolt and rest it on top of your magic case. Suddenly, the bolt unscrews itself from the nut. This can be done while you're nowhere near the case and with the nut and bolt inside a clear, sealed container. Kewl!

Unfortunately, the current design is way too fast. The bolt unscrews too fast. I think it would look much better if it moved more slowly.

I don't want to reveal the secret, but obviously I would need a way to either slow the gimmick down or perhaps get some larger gears and belts.

Does anyone know how this could be done or have access to the needed parts?

Thanks!
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Unfortunately, no matter how I had tried, I could not succeed in doing it. I have found a new presentation using a hanky. I cover the bolt and screw under the hank and when I lift the hanky, the bolt is seen unscrewed. Then the speed is not seen. Give it a try. I cannot write in detail for I have to tell about the gimmick if I tell more. Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I do not see where the problem is with the quicker speed. I have done this on many occasions, at my home for company, and it went over great. I play it up that I am drawing all my psychic energy into one big burst...then...ZZZZIIP! I think it has even more impact as there is so much motion and energy being displayed.
I understand a slow turning would be more creepy but I like it just the way it is Smile
Take care,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I like your idea of using a handkerchief to conceal the movement. The prop is too good and the speed is a problem. (I would say it causes one to question the credibility of magicians. But that has a credibility problem of its own. Oops!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kilgourpower
View Profile
New user
London
72 Posts

Profile of kilgourpower
I do the sudden burst of psychic energy too. If the viewers concentrate on it as well, and the build up is good, I think it works well.
It would be nice to have the slower option though.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I always thought that the rapid movement was a dead giveaway to the mechanics of the effect.

I, too, hide the device while the "work" is done. I have been suggesting that the nut and bolt might dematerialize and pass through each other.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Sorry Tora, but covering the Bolt makes no sense to me. Why even use the gimmick then? It seems the whole point is to watch it spin off. Sometimes I feel we are thinking for the spectators and being a bit paranoid. I am not trying to sound harsh but I have killed with this thing!! People have jumped back when it spins off. Once again, slow and creepy would be cool but quick and zippy can be equally as shocking especially if you have "flashed" the inside of the case showing it "normal."
Just my opinion.
Have a nice Christmas folks. Maybe Santa will bring a solution to this problem. Smile
Actually, I will take a look at mine. Maybe changing the wheel size ratio will solve it somewhat. I will give you an update.
Chance

Posted: Dec 17, 2003 12:10pm

Well, I took a look at my PsyBolt and think I may have discovered a way to make it go much slower. This would be an aftermarket addition or simply new and improved. If I find the time to develop this, I will share the method with you once it is proven to work. I will probably offer units for sale as well as the blueprints/plans for you to build the addition yourself. Sorry to be vague but I don't want to get your hopes up.
Thanks for getting me thinking Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I agree to slow down the motion .

it looks like the bolt has no threads and it just SLIDES out of the nut.

It would look much better it the bolt spins slowly.

Im gonna buy this one but the speed just puts me off .
jimmymac_7
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jimmymac_7
I have an issue with mine. Sometimes, the bolt does not screw out of the nut. The entire bolt/nut spin a little, with very little unscrewing. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks,
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This effect has been around for over 60 years, it has always been a fast unscrew effect. It was originally called "Lighting Bold" or screw. It came in a little cup like they uses at restaurants to put your salad dressing in with a clear lid. The effect was you removed the lid, and showed the small blot with a nut half way screwed on the blot. Then you dumped the blot out of the cup, and landing on the table, the nut had unscrewed from the blot.

There was another version using a handkerchief as well years later. This has came and went on the market over the years. I really never thought much about the effect as it is over just to quickly.

As I remember, wasn't there a different version a few years ago, were you held the bolt in your hand and the nut rotated off the bolt, very visible and slowly.
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
As I remember, wasn't there a different version a few years ago, were you held the bolt in your hand and the nut rotated off the bolt, very visible and slowly.

That's the "Micro Psychic" by Kreis, I think. Lots of cheap clones out there. The big issue for me is the sound, you can clearly hear what's going on. At least with the clones, the original might be more silent. It seems to be discontinued, though.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have used the same effect which is in the close up box, the speed never really bothered me...I do not care for the noise, this is the givaway. I was always sure to use this in a fairly noisy place. I like the idea of having people concentrating prior to the turning begins.

Anyway, do not mess with the 'pot' attached to the electronics, this is set just right for the starting/stopping of the gimmick. If the rotating speed is your problem, you can try soldering a diode of low value to the motor. You will have to detach one of the wires to the motor and interrupt it with the diode, one lead of diode goes to the wire which went to the motor, the other lead will be soldered onto the motor lead. You may have to experiment a bit such as turning the diode around and soldering the opposite way and on the other wire to motor. This should slow your motor down. When not using this effect be sure to remove the 'o' rings that go around the pulleys, if you do not they will stretch and/or become worn and cracked.

Chuck C.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
I had a problem with it going too slow, and found that I had some buildup of “stuff” for lack of a better word, on the threads of the bolt. It sped up when I cleaned the bolt. Perhaps a bit of magician wax speak on your fingers and roll the bolt between your fingers and that should apply a small coating. And slow the nut.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Finn Jon has an ungimmicked version which achieves exactly what you've described with a hank, nut and bolt.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Anverdi's bolt of lightening is a very clever version.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Slowing Down Psycho Kinetic Bolt (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL