The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Vernon's Kangaroo Coins (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
Hi all - I think this is my first post outside the "introduce yourself" sub-forum.

It's been about 4 months since re-kindling this hobby. I've been eating my spinach, going through Stars of Magic.

Here is my performance of Vernon's four coin trick from that book, which I feel is about 75% of where I want it to be in order to start doing it live. I would love any pointers.

This was actually a tribute video to my mother, who had just celebrated another year cancer-free. My wife is narrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu1-SHjr98c&feature=youtu.be
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
First, welcome to the Café whbuch. Smile

The performance of this was wonderfully done, and I truly enjoyed your wife telling the story. Your magic, backing it up, was spot on. Smile I'm sure your mom loved this for it is magical for so many good reasons beyond the effect of it. Smile My very best to your mom, and it looks like you guys gave her your very best in this performance as well. I truly enjoyed it. Good job! Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
Thanks for sharing this with us whbuch! It looks great and it's an inspiring video.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Since you asked, here are some pointers (and this is in the spirit of magicians helping magicians): keep the coins that are passing through the table more separated from the others. After the first coin went through, you picked up another coin as the single coin to place back into the glass. It should be the actual coin that passed through. The end where you show your hand empty as opposed to slapping it on the table shows that by the time you hit the table, the coin is already gone, which takes away from the effect. Otherwise, it was pretty good. The timing on the second coin was particularly good.
whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
That's a great nuance I'd not considered, thanks.

In production, I also plan to do something different for the final (single) coin - have the audience initial both sides of it with a sharpie.

I'll also rethink the fourth pass - pound instead of open hand.

Thanks.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Ray,

Troy Hooser has a CTTT w/Exp shell on his ShellRaiser DVD and he has the last coin go through similar to this one; not exactly but very softly with just his finger touching the table IIRC. I wonder if that was whbuch's inspiration?

Jim
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
Nice routine whbuch! Thanks for posting this. I wanted to share a version by Fred Kaps, he adds an interesting kicker at the end that you might find interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ObgXTi0K8

Taj
whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
^ Thanks, you just caused me to spend four hours finding Fred Kaps videos and reading all I could about him. ;-)
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@whbuch

Hi Sir, can you post what you found here? Thanks!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Welcome to the café.

First congratulation on choosing this particular routine as it touches two important points devellopped by Dai Vernon in "Revelations"
1) the misdirection of the glass
2) magic management (which very few magicians understand or even know about): by placing the glass to the left you are managing the space to get one step ahead into "naturalistic" misdirection. Fred Kaps uses a comparable technique in his cups and balls

Now apart from the very valid advice supplied to you by Ray Haining:
Just consider that if there was a weak spot on the table, when you slap your hand on it, all the coins would fall through. So instead of doing what the routine describes, you may choose to do what a few magicians do nowadays. After lapping a coin, place aside a first one, then a second one then a third one, THEN move to the "weak spot" allegedly with the last coin and make it pass through. Naturally you can repeat this with one less coin each time

Another consideration on this beautiful routine is in the management of magic. Why would you put the glass on the left ? I found a good justification (but naturally there are other possibilities) When the first coin is passed, the kick to expell it from the glass is made a little to strong forcing my lefft hand to come as a wall as if the coin might slide off the table. Therefore naturally later on, when the glass comes back from under the table I pass it to the left hand for my dominant (right) hand to catch the coin if it was "going too far". Now it's only natural for the left hand to place the glass to the left, and then for the dominant (right) hand to get it back from the left spot. I hope that this is clear for you.

One last thing I did for this routine is to import, in a different way, a David Roth idea. I did cut a small black felt disk (just slightly larger than a silver dollar) which is in my wallet at all times (for years) and that, for showmanship purposes, I introduce it as a "portable hole". The fact that some spectators move the portable hole avoids a feeling of repetition, replacing it by "can you do it for me as well". It also opens the way to many nice patter lines and smiles...

See if there are in the above lines, something for you.

Very good deceptive work sofar. It would be fun for you to make it personal now.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Nice work!
whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
^^ Thanks, I plan to re-read all of that and workshop your ideas.

I LOVE the idea of the "portable hole."
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Now since you seem inclined to add some personal work to the routine, check in minutest details David Roth's subtlety in the sliding of the two coins that he improved from Al Baker's routine. It's really worth looking for and is even more deceptive than Vernon's both hands sliding each two coins.

Now a tip on casualness: instead of carefully and scholarly placing the coins in your left palm, drop them from the right hand one by one into the left fingers... and (but only then) use the left thumb to position them for display in the left palm a split second before moving the left hand forward "to show"
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Levels, baby...Levels! Smile

No matter how many stairs you go up, there's always another flight to climb when you get there. Smile Touches from Kaps, Roth, maybe even Tim Feher and others keep opening door after door after door on this classic effect.

Though this routine is nice as first put here, as Mr. O puts forth, there are more pieces of finesse in the details if you care to look. Smile

For me, in other routines I've played with, I have endeavored at times from advice like this and found greater balance and magic once you continue to smooth it all out. I really feel that balance in some of the things I do, everything just flows, all the movements and misdirections are perfectly put to deliver some really good stuff without flaw. It really feels quite wonderful when you get there. Smile

Sometimes when get an effect down really well in your mind, you think you've nailed it, that is until you come across folks with bigger hammers and even longer nails. Smile It's great to get such further direction toward the even greater mountain tops.

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
That was very nicely done and a wonderful magical and poetic gift to your Mom. Bravo!
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Smile One of my favourite coin effects performed very well! I tend to personalize effects and perform them for friends and family whenever there is something to celebrate. Magic is in my mind the most wonderful gift you can offer someone. It's fun, unexpected, mysterious and intriguing. What other gift offers all that?!

Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Very nice routine
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Looks really nice to me, and I like the presentation a lot. Good work.

And the next video that came up was MB's Mike and Ike's Revenge.

Great double feature Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes as my friend MB said there are always stairs to climb. other levels.
but what a tribute to a great routine from Vernon. WHAT PASSION VERNON HAD FOR MAGIC. a lot of people think of his card work, yes. but his best work with other items truly helped to bring magic into the ultra modern age.
so thanks for showing me one of the finest routines in that booklet of Dai's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Vernon's Kangaroo Coins (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL