The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2003 entrée: Steven Youell » » European Cardmagic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Hi Steve:

I don´t know if you have studied or been influenced by the european cardmagic.

In this case, what´s your opinion about our cardmagic in Europe, and specially in Spain.

There is the common opinion here in Europe, that the best cardmagic aroun the world is done in Europe, and specially in Spain. Well, that´s not my opinion because I think they are great names in both continents.

But I will like to hear your opinion about the cardmagic in Europe, and about names like Juan Tamariz, Arturo De Ascanio, Rafael Benatar, Bernard Billis, Aurelio Paviato, Roberto Giobbi, Dominique Duviver, Lennart Green, and so on.

Thanks in advance.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
So you're saying that the general consensus in Europe, especially Spain, is that they do better card magic than the rest of the world? Gee, that's kind of elitist don't you think? I know you don't agree with them, but why is it they feel that way?
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
I agree with Pablo to a cetain degree,that is I love the Europen style of card handling they seem more eligant in their aproach to effects,
This does not mean they are better technicians ,but they look much smoother .
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Quote:
On 2003-12-04 11:47, cardguy wrote:
So you're saying that the general consensus in Europe, especially Spain, is that they do better card magic than the rest of the world? Gee, that's kind of elitist don't you think? I know you don't agree with them, but why is it they feel that way?

As I told you, I am not agree with this. For me, they are great cardicians in both sides.

But there are some reasons for this thinking.

In Spain there is a long tradition in card magic. And here in Spain is the Madrid Magic School (Escuela Magica de Madrid), a group which involves the best cardicians in Europe.

I could tell you that everyone in everywhere will kill for all the writings and info that the members of this group share among them.

As I told you, people like Roberto Giobbi, Juan Tamariz, Bernard Bilis, Aurelio Paviato, Arturo de Ascanio (R.I.P., God bless him), Carlos Vaquera, Rafael Benatar, Jerry Andrus, Paul Wilson, Piet Forton, Camilo Vazquez, David Solomon, Duvivier, were or are part of this group now. And all of this give its influence to the rest of spanish cardicians.

I could promise you that winning a cardmagic contest here in Spain, is maybe the most difficult thing aroun Europe.

Spanish cardmagic in general, is more elaborated, more visual, beautiful, magical.

It´s not an elitist thinking, is a fact. Try some day to know the card magic here in Spain.

But as I told you, I think that there are great cardicians on both sides. And I love USA cardicians like Ammar, Darwin Ortiz, Martin Nash, Bill Malone, and the kind of card magic done in the USA, but it´s more different than the spanish.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
As an American living abroad, I agree with Pablo completely. Americans have a different style in almost all walks of life than europeans, and I perfer the European! Y Pablo, ojala que hubiera encontrado con ustedes cuando fui a Espana! Bueno, espero llegar la proxima vez.....
Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would say that if I had my choice of seeing all the cardicians in the world my choices would be:

1-Tamariz (most entertaining yet most skilled)
2-Diaconis (technical genius)
3-Lucero (baffling and charming)
4-Valentine (funniest)
5-Youell (if I leave him out he'll hit me)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2003-12-04 06:06, Pablo Tejero wrote:
There is the common opinion here in Europe, that the best cardmagic aroun the world is done in Europe, and specially in Spain.

Great question! Bernard Billis did a video tape decades ago that I still think about.
He has a move called "The Billis Switch" that I've been facinated with for more than 20 years. Juan Tamariz reminds me to make sure I put joy into my performance everytime I watch him.

I personally think that I can learn something from every performer.

Although I realize that it's not your opinion, the idea that the Cardicians in one country are better than any other country is just plain silly. First, you would have to get every magician in the world to agree on the exact definition of "Best". Then, you would have to get a panel of impartial judges (good luck) to judge ALL the card guys on those parameters.

One time I spent an evening with a Magician from Japan. He did some great stuff that I really admired and I got my shots in and he seemed fairly impressed, but you know what?
After a long conversation we discovered that neither one of us could really use the other's material. You know why? In Japan, it was traditional to use slow, graceful, flowing movements-- which would immediately arouse suspicion when working for a US audience. HOWEVER-- the opposite was also true. My quick delivery, and fast movements would be looked upon with suspicion in his performing environment....

So whenever you compare one country's magicians with anothers, it's important to remember that they almost always have different performing parameters and environments. What astounds an audience in America doesn't always fly in a different country and vice versa.

Steven Youell
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1178 Posts

Profile of Chris
Magic is an art. As such there is no better or best. Is Mozart better than Schubert or Beethoven? Is Picasso better than Rubens?

Chris Wasshuber
carry knowledge not books ... ebooks
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2003-12-05 13:27, Chris wrote:
Magic is an art. As such there is no better or best. Is Mozart better than Schubert or Beethoven? Is Picasso better than Rubens?

Yeah, but aren't all those guys dead...?!?
Smile

Steven Youell
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Pableo You left off two cardicians from your list of Europen magicians
Vallerino from france
Vincenzo Marini from San Danato Italy
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Sure, Jean Pierr Vallarino, and my close friend Vinny must be in this list.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Cervon, Carney, Freeman, Earl Nelson, Levand, Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Bill Goodwin... and on and on.

One of the joys of traveling with this art is seeing how the old hat American tricks fry the Europeans, and the old hat European tricks fry the Americans.

As has been pointed out, our deceptions are based on cultural differences in timing and delivery. When you encounter a different timing and are viewing with your critical magicians eye, you are going to get fooled. In fencing this type of phenomenon is called breaking time. Performing an action in a tempo which disarms or mystifies your opponent.

It is part of the rich tapestry which is sharing magic in your travels around the world.

Cheers,

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2003 entrée: Steven Youell » » European Cardmagic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL