The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Shuffling a stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
A while ago I started to play around with stacked decks (8 kings). I enjoyed the effects that could be achieved and would have a deck set up with me which I would switch in to at times. I have only used the stack for fun and not for paid gigs. It was fun to learn and for some reason stopped using it.

I am know working on it again and want to get something up and working. I like the PaPa System explained in the Pat Page book Page by Page. It is simulaur to Si Stebbins stack. I want to work on a routine that uses a few volunteers. 2 spectator take a card and a third spectator names a card. The first card is revealed as a muscle reading effect. The second is done by a pendulum the the third is any card any position.

I feel between 13 steps to mentalism by Corinda and Page by Page by Pat Page gives me all the info I need. But I have a few questions.

1- Are these good resouces?
2-I want to put in a false shuffle what is the best resource to learn force shuffles (I am not a big card worker)
3- How many false shuffle do I need?
4- Do I need a regular deck at first then switch in and out?

Any help would be great and thank you for your time.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Check your PMs
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Eugene Burger fooled me badly with his nonchalant false shuffle in his Presentations Video. And it doesn't require you to be a card guy, either.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
CRJ Casey
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of CRJ Casey
Jason England covers the "Push Through Shuffle" in Foundations. This is absolutely beautiful when done correctly. You should take a look at that.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
1) They are great resources but probably aren't the best books to hang your hat on for methods to preserve stacks and execute false shuffles

2) There are many resources to learn false shuffles. If you're not a dyed-in-the-wool card guy then shuffles like the push through noted above might be overkill for your purposes. The recommended books/dvds will largely be dependent on your performing conditions. Are you seated/standing? Do you have a table to work from or are you working exclusively in the hands? Once we have a better idea of how you're working we will be able to offer up potential solutions without so much guess work.

3) Again, it's dependent on how you work. How do you normally shuffle cards? Overhand or riffle shuffle? If you only ever do an overhand shuffle then learning a false riffle shuffle isn't of much benefit. Magicians here that have spent any time working on their false shuffle techniques often have more than one in their toolbox. I use false overhand, in-the-hands riffle, and tabled riffle shuffles because I also shuffle cards genuinely in all three ways.

4) There's a monkey wrench! In general, deck switches obviate the need for false shuffles. The nice thing about a deck switch is that audience members can shuffle the deck which is then switched for a cold deck and you're all set. Also, you can use genuine shuffles initially and do some non-memorized deck card magic then do your switch and go into an MD effect. If those issues are not relevant to you then you don't need to worry about a deck switch. Just come out, do a quick false shuffle (and there are many convincing ones that aren't too technically demanding) and go into your effect.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Shuffling a stack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL