The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review request: Earplugs! by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
Hi, I'm intersted in this DVD. If anyone could post a brief review, it would be great. Thanks. ~Ryan
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I haven't seen the new DVD with the bonus material, but I thought the video was pretty good. I does a good job of explaining some basic sponge ball moves that can be adapted to whatever kind of sponge you are working with. I personally don't use the earplugs included with the DVD. I still use my sponge bunnies, but I like the idea. I would probably use them over regular sponge balls.

The routines are about the same as any other sponge ball routine. Nothing too mind blowing. Don't get me wrong. I think sponge magic is the most powerful thing you can perform, but if you're a magician who has seen a thousand routines you won't find anything incredibly original.

I have the video and am not at all disappointed I got it, but I have others I like better.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
OK, thanks for the advice. Smile
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I bought the video a while back and thought it was really good. It's a nice different idea from the red sponge balls, but not better. That's my 2 cents.
rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
OK thanks. I want the product mostly for the instruction and now there are 5 bonus effects on there so I figure, what the heck...thanks again.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It was OK. I think sponge balls are easier to handle. His premis is that ear plugs make sense to the audience-they don't. Not any more than sponge balls.

Plus his routines aren't that strong.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
Can you do all the stuff with the earplugs the same way with the regular sponge balls? Thanks. ~Ryan
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I don't think so. They're a little stiffer and longer.
Nice idea, but I don't think you'll see too many magi doing it. I like the new Lady Bugs better.

Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
300 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
What do you guys recommend for a good sponge ball routine?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Jay really doesn’t teach a routine per se on his tape. He does show you a routine that he uses with the earplug premise. However he does not teach the routine as a routine, move-for-move. He does teach all the moves needed to perform his routine but encourages you to build your own routine from the moves learnt.

The earplugs take a short while (a very short while!) to get accustomed to. They pose no more difficulty to use than a regular sponge ball. I believe that the earplug premise is inherently funny. And the props are comical to look at. They are a great addition for a comedy magician or a magician that is a little off center.

Do the earplugs look like earplugs? Well in color and shape maybe, but they are about 10 times larger. That makes them funny!

However, for good (no…great!) routines it is hard to beat the Patrick Page Sponge Ball tape. It teaches all the necessary moves and gives you several strong routines, including a very good Benson Bowl routine.

I only have the videotape format of the earplugs and haven’t seen the DVD version so I cannot address the “extra” stuff.

This is not a bad tape and you could do worse especially for a beginner. The moves all work with regular sponge balls. There are better tapes and routines out there.

I do like and use the props as they fit my weird sense of humor. However, I do use them in my own routine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
300 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
Thank you very much Harry for such a detailed answer. You make a new member feel very welcomed here!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Harry to the rescue!!! I agree, Pat Page's video is awesome and he teaches his own pet routine.

I think Jay had a good idea and put work into it, but I don't think it's worth getting. I sold mine.

Chris

rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll have Earplugs! on my Christmas wishlist. Smile
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Quote:
On 2003-12-10 17:52, rlk7 wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll have Earplugs! on my Christmas wishlist. Smile

As will I.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I bought them and never used them. It's still sponge balls for me.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Can I buy these without the dvd for cheaper? $35 is too much for me to pay for just the earplugs.
Reality is a real killjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review request: Earplugs! by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL