The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Wonder Floating Balloon by Ryota (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
What do you think of this balloon effect? Does it look convincing to a layman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li3VL2kt020
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Lame
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
Um... a tricky rope?
bstokes
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of bstokes
I think it is a pretty little effect that could be used as part of a balloon magic sequence. I don't think the effect is strong enough to stand on its on as a feature effect. Think in terms of silk magic: very few silk effects are presented as stand alone pieces but rather as part of a routine.
SamCremeens
View Profile
New user
Nashville,TN
38 Posts

Profile of SamCremeens
Looks like a rope effect from the Mark Wilson Complete Course... I agree with the earlier sentiments. It may be usable as part of a larger routine in a stage act.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I agree w/ bstokes too.

Christopher although your comment made me laugh wich in turn made me wanna go watch the video hahaa, I think lame is a little harsh hahaaa! Still funny tho.

@Lou, I think little kids would love it in the middle of a show but older people are gonna put all the heat on the rope.
the kids can hit the balloon around the room and maybe even use that as a way to choose your next volunteer. Just sayin'. $.02
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Thanks for your comments. Obviously it is just a rope trick. I just think the video was shot using a "stooge" audience to sell the product. I think that a mime could perform this excellently.

How about the Gypsy Balloon by Tony Clark? Any thoughts on this?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I use Gypsy Balloon to close almost every show. I do it seated on a stool, thanking everyone for the contributions (as in the video), and breaking off a piece for every comment. I use a yarn instead of thread. When I'm down to about 8-10 inches, I finish it up. I always get good reactions.

Ed
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I do the gypsy balloon too, but I use flash string, a balloon with confetti inside, and the pyrofreak gimmick. After restoring the string I stand there holding it and it suddenly burns up to the balloon, pops it, out scatters the confetti......yay.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I finally decided to get this Wonder Balloon. You will need a 12 inch round balloon. The round pointed balloons doesn't work well on this.
I have been using this in the past 3 weeks now. My presentation is that I hypnotize the balloon to wake up floating and go to sleep after. Then I proceed with my Matrix Illusion where I hypnotize my assistant to sit and proceed with the effect.
You have to be careful there is no wind if you plan to do the Wonder Balloon.
BTW, the hard part is to make the balloon sleep or drop down. It does take a knack to accomplish. The rope must also be stored in a tube to protect it.
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
Buster Balloon
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Buster Balloon
Why are magicians so quick to dismiss a good effect or routine because they think they know how it works?

Go back and rewatch the videos of this effect. The ability to show the string slack just before the balloon rises, blows peoples minds. I just performed this the other night while hosting the stage competition at Twist & Shout, and that moment is the thing that I got the most comments about after the show, ESPECIALLY from the magicians in the crowd. They all expected the Mark Wilson rope effect as well.

Ryota has taken a classic effect, give it a wonderful framing and context, and added a lovely subtlety that truly elevates it to a new level. Much like the Gypsy Balloon, I wish I was in a position to pay the creator of this effect to never sell it to anyone else again, ever.
Buster Balloon
Creative Genius, Balloon Twisting Savant, & Pre-Sweetened Breakfast Cereal Connoisseur
http://BusterBalloon.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Wonder Floating Balloon by Ryota (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL