The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stephen King movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Silver Bullet, Green Mile, Shawshank, Misery... I also enjoy The Shining miniseries. I still wish they would go Lord of the Rings with The Stand and make it into an epic movie. The miniseries they made has a great cast and that helps me look past the cheesy FX and such. I wish they would make IT into a big movie as well.
Sent from my Typewriter
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Dead Zone for me too ...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've generally like King's movies better than his books. The original Shining was a favorite. I also liked the Stand miniseries, at least until the lame ending. Salem's Lot was fun. The only part of Needful Things I remember is the creepy dolls saying "TOO LATE, RUTH!" I generally prefer Clive Barker and Poppy Z. Brite as writers.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I worked for Stephen for more than six years. He told me NO film is EVER as good as his books. He writes about what scares him and keeps him awake at night. He pulls maddening practical jokes. I worked as Operations Manager for his radio station WZON in Bangor, Maine. I was doing an overnight show one night, and the "doorbell" flashed.

No one was there. It happened a couple times, and I went outside to look, and he came screaming out of nowhere with a woodsman's axe! Not funny. Not funny at all. He like to pull that kind of thing. I asked him once where he got his inspiration. Well, Clive Barker was one. Stephen King is one of those kinda guys that says, "Hey, C'mere. Yeah, that's right...right around...this...corner..." Mwaahh-ha-ha-haaa! Smile

Doug
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
The Kubrick Shining was a FANTASTIC film. Yes, a lot of changes from the book, but such a *** good movie.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Darabont's adaptation of The Mist, especially the black and white version.

Regarding the Carrie remake, it appears to actually be the 2nd remake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(2002_film)

Although I get the nostalgia, as well as the "It was so perfect the first time" thoughts, but how is it any different than plays? Why do RENT again? Why do Romeo & Juliet again?

Perhaps a bit different as you can't go back and watch the original performances (unless it was recorded, but that's hardly the same) though even film remakes still introduce it to new viewers.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
To really get into Stephen's MIND, though...you have to read the books. You GET his little nuances, and you can HEAR that Maine accent of his, "Yes suh. By gorry, that's wicked, just WICKED!" And if you are EVER lucky enough to hear him read one of his short stories around a campfire...you will NEVER forget it!

Doug
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 15:19, gdw wrote:
The Kubrick Shining was a FANTASTIC film. Yes, a lot of changes from the book, but such a *** good movie.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Darabont's adaptation of The Mist, especially the black and white version.

Although I get the nostalgia, as well as the "It was so perfect the first time" thoughts, but how is it any different than plays? Why do RENT again? Why do Romeo & Juliet again?

Perhaps a bit different as you can't go back and watch the original performances (unless it was recorded, but that's hardly the same) though even film remakes still introduce it to new viewers.

Not sure how remakes serve to introduce a film to new viewers, particularly when the originals are still readily available for viewing.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 16:03, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 15:19, gdw wrote:

Not sure how remakes serve to introduce a film to new viewers, particularly when the originals are still readily available for viewing.

Available doesn't mean people will take advantage of them. Not only do new viewers see the remakes (theater going is still a huge part of the movie experience, not to mention the appeal of shiny and new) but also raise awareness of originals, exposing new viewers to seek out classics they may have previously dismissed, or simply been ignorant of.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They introduce new viewers to the story, if not the previous movie(s). Like it or not, most viewers (certainly most young viewers) have a bias toward newer movies with more familiar stars. And in some cases, the newer movie is better, anyway.

Perhaps, as a writer and English major, I'm biased, but The Great Gatsby isn't Alan Ladd's, or even Robert Redford's. It's F. Scott Fitzgerald's. And if remaking a perfectly good movie (or two) is what it takes to expose a new generation to Fitzgerald's magnificent story, I'm on board.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
RE: the carrie remake: one thing different. The actress playing Carrie is actually 16 unlike Sissy Spacek who was 26 at the time. Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly are two films in the horror genre whose remakes were certainly on par if not far superior to the originals.

One of my favorite books by King is his non-fiction book on writing. In it he talks about his accident and thought, when he looked up after having been hit by a car and saw the guy who hit him, "I've been killed by one of my own characters."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"On Writing" is an outstanding book.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Indeed it is Lobo, but not likely to be made into a movie. His first bok of that type "Danse Macabre" was also a great book.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I almost forgot Night Flier! Definitely one of my favorites.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stephen King movies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL